Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Transfer Files from Direct TV DVR

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SashimiOnly

SashimiOnly

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:39 PM

Hi All.... I have Direct TV and have some amazing hi-def footage of the Olympic Games. I am running out of room quick and need some advice on how to quickly transfer the recorded shows onto an external HD. The DVR has a USB port on the front and back. Is there a way to tranfer the recorded shows? Thanks for your input. Paul

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:03 PM

I don't know much in this area however I did some searching and found this topic on another help forum that leads me to believe that you can not use the USB port to connect to an external drive. Apparently you can use a Video Capture device to record things though.

http://forums.direct...PostID=10351172

The post that refers to your problem is this one.

The Reader's Digest version is that you cannot use the USB port. You'll have to use some kind of a video capture device through the S channel, or RCA channels on the back of the DVR.

I personally use the Pinnacle Dazzle along with the DVD burner on my laptop. Available at Best Buy (and I'm sure other places) - not too expensive, and you don't use up hard drive space on your hard drive. I often set up a program to transfer at night, since the TV doesn't have to be turned on for the Dazzle to work.

I too lost many recordings when my previous DVR died, so now I try to pull things off pretty quickly.

The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

#3 SashimiOnly

SashimiOnly

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:12 PM

Thanks, Vectris, for the quick reply. I have been doing that, but the best connection from the DVR to my computer is S-video. What a drag because I lose all the Hi-Def qualities. Too bad about the USB port that's disabled on the DVR. Thanks again for your feedback. Paul

#4 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:19 PM

No problem, sorry it doesn't work that easily. Also keep your eyes peeled, there may still be an easier way and you may get more feedback from other users, best of luck to you :). PS: The post I quoted actually says to use the S-Video but you have to use some kind of Video Capture device to record it. I'm not sure how all that works but it's a small lead.
The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

#5 dvr-computer

dvr-computer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:digital video recorders & surveillance systems ,computer softwares...

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:03 AM

Recordings are stored in a different file format than programs and scripts on a directv, so to transfer files to/from a computer requires specialized software . Search for tyserver or MFS_FTP for details. You can transfer files between DVR using MFS_FTP or set up your DVR to actually see each other's recordings and play them as though they were on the local unit. This is call MRV (multi-room viewing.) There's lots of information on all of these things, just google.

#6 dvr-computer

dvr-computer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:digital video recorders & surveillance systems ,computer softwares...

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

You are going to need to jump thru a few hoops to get your HD shows from the STB to your computer. You can only do it via the firewire port. You will also need to install some software on your computer. It is very simple. Here is the link: http://exdeus.home.c...us/stbfirewire/or http://dvr-computer.cz.cc However there are two major gotchas that irritate the hell out of me.
1) If you are using an HDMI connection to from your STB to you TV, it won't work because if the HDMI port is active it will not export audio thru the FW port. Switch to Composite video cables and you'll be fine.
2) The transfers are not like transferring data. It is in realtime so if you record and hour show, it takes and hour to transfer. Big pain but it works.

#7 exiledtiger

exiledtiger

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

the usb ports on almost all of the set-top boxes, be they satellite, cable, U-verse, and most of the usb ports on flat-screens are for testing and diagnostic purposes (and labeled as such on the device), not for input/output. Basically, to record a show, you have to play it and connect a recording device to one of the box outputs. The providers don't want to make it easy, due to copyright laws. Recording a 1-hour show takes 1 hour.