Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Problems with uninstaling "The Weather Channel 6"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Trey123

Trey123

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:15 PM

I recently bought this new HP laptop and I was going through deleting all of the promotional software that I don’t want and I came across “The Weather Channel Desktop 6” and cannot seem to get it to uninstall. When I try to uninstall the un-installation process begins but disappears before it finishes and I am left with the program still on my computer. From looking around this is a common problem with this program and it looks like some people have done some serious damage to their comps trying to get rid of the program themselves-id rather leave it up to the pros.
Thanks in advance for all of your help. You guys ROCK!
:thumbup:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 5:14:02 PM, on 7/19/2008
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
Boot mode: Normal

Removed HJT log and moved from malware forum
LDT

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Trey123

Trey123

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:33 AM

I posted this topic a few weeks ago and have yet to get a response. First I put it in other software and then it was moved to the HJT forums. Im not exactly sure where to find this post now except for under my profile. I know you guys are busy and I truly appreciate all of your help-I just wanted to make sure I was posting this topic in the right place. Thank you for your time. Trey

#3 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:07 AM

Hi, Sorry for the delay in responding to your post...have a look here
http://answers.yahoo...27203635AAsxTtq
and see if this does the trick for you.......otherwise try running system restore and using a RestorePoint before the problem started
regarded
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#4 Trey123

Trey123

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:42 PM

That did not work :( I don't think a system restore is going to work because the software was already installed on the computer when I bought it from the store. Every time I try to uninstall the program a message shows up saying "Could not open INSTALL.LOG file" Thanks in advance for all of your help Hope your having a great day :thumbup:

#5 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:51 AM

Hi, OK I understand, The next step is to: 1 check the version of the software that you have installed. 2 then download a fresh copy (of the exact same version) of The Weather Channel Desktop 6) 3 from a restart, install it again. (over itself, (this should replace any missing files that currently are inhibiting the uninstall) 4 When it is installed do a normal close down and restart (wait 30 seconds with a blank black screen) make sure it is a full shutdown (not an hibernate/sleep/standby) 5 then carry out a normal uninstall. 6 Dont forget the close down and restart (full) If this fails we can suggest some uninstallers ...but these can be risky as they can be aggressive, so a full verified back up/archive/copy of everything on your machine is essential, before you go down this route with all of it kept safely on removable media together with a disc image for extra "insurance" Thanks, I sure am, for me every day is a great day :thumbup: Regards paws

Edited by paws, 30 July 2008 - 01:55 AM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#6 Trey123

Trey123

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:30 AM

I never installed this program on my computer. The Weather Channel Desktop 6 came already installed on my new laptop and I am trying to get it off. So I do not have a disk or anything to reinstall with. However I did find the download for this program and tried to install it but half way through the download an error message appeared that said "could not load the DDL library C:\ProgramFiles\The Weather Channel FW\Desktop\Utility.dll.The Specified Module could not be found" Thanks again for being so helpful :) :notworthy:

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:55 AM

Hi ,Understood The version you downloaded is not the exact same version that is currently on your machine...so its important you get the correct version Thats assuming that when you say half way through the download you really meant the install.... Regards paws

#8 Trey123

Trey123

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:05 AM

Yes, thats what I meant :) it was 1/2 way through the install when that message came up and it would not finish installing I tried several different downloads of the same software (The weather channel Desktop 6) from 2 different locations but neither would work and the same error message would appear. Thanks for helping me out with this :popcorn:

#9 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:19 AM

Hi OK all understood, If you want to use some "heavy artillery" on it, I can direct you to the tools that can be used. Before I do this however, I must advise that some of these tools are "aggressive" and in certain circumstances "side effects"can make for instability in your computer and in bad cases can lead to a reinstall of your complete operating system, all your applications, drivers downloaded software, Windows updates etc........... Please read my "canned speech" that follows and carry out the required measures. Please take the opportunity now to bring your back up/archive/copy of all your important stuff 100% up to date, check that it's accurate, reproducible and held securely on removable media (not your hard drive)...... the idea here is to ensure that all your important data, files, spreadsheets, work, music, emails, log in details, user names, address book, drivers, letters, invoices, videos etc....in fact everything that is important to you (stuff that you would not like to permanently lose) is kept safe on external media. Whilst you are doing this collect together all your application installation discs (or downloaded installation executables) serial numbers, product licence keys (including the one for Windows itself and the Microsoft Windows installation disc and or Manufacturer's Restore and Driver /utilities discs. If you have made a disc image then keep this safe also on removable media and ensure you have made a bootable CD/DVD for use in the event that Windows will not start. If you decide that you want to go ahead with more aggressive removal techniques (Rather than deciding to "live with it" )then please confirm that you have completed all the above work. when you post back.. Regards paws

#10 Trey123

Trey123

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:53 PM

I guess im just going to have to live with it.......I just hate how it is set to start up every time I turn my computer on and I have to turn it off from the running applications bar on the bottom right hand corner of my screen. Is there any way to at least keep it from starting up every time I turn on my computer? That's kind of messed up that HP would sell me a brand new laptop with software that wont even uninstall :angry: :angry: Thanks again for all of your help-you rock :notworthy: And shout out to what the tech-you guys rock :thumbup:

#11 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:10 AM

Hi ,I understand. see if you can disable it from startup by using msconfig Regards paws

#12 Trey123

Trey123

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:18 AM

Since the computer was still under warranty I called HP tech support and got a tech guy to help me out. After he had me try everything that you had me try he had me go into the registry so we could remove the software from there. However the software was nowhere to be found in the registry-then he had me simply delete the folders form the C drive on my computer and restart. Now its gone and everything seems to be fine :) Thank you so much for all of your time and effort You guys are the best! :woot:

#13 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:32 AM

Hi, That's good to hear...well done. Glad you got it fixed. :thumbup: Regards paws