Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

uninstall Silverlight

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:37 AM

I tried to uninstall Silverlight in add/remove but it said patch package does not exist and to contact my vendor. I have googled and searched the M.S. site but either can't find a 'how to uinstall' or can't understand. Is this a rp[ogram that can be uninstalled. I don't care if it stays there but I try to keep a tidy add/remove and this came up. Thank you

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:48 AM

Silverlight is Microsoft's answer to Adobe's Flash and is designed to enrich Internet applications. If you are not having problems, I would leave it.

However, if you still wish to uninstall it, and you are unable to with conventional methods, I recommend you check out MSKB Article 290301 - Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. Note this program does not remove the files or folder, it only removes the installer configuration - meaning Windows no longer thinks there is an existing installation - corrupt or otherwise. If you never wish to reinstall the program, you will need to manually delete the folders off your drive - and I would probably then recommend running a good Registry cleaner, such as the one found in CCleaner - but as always, be sure to follow the prompts to backup the Registry before making any changes. If you are going to reinstall the latest version of Silverlight and will do so in the same location, you do not need to delete the folders manually.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

The link you gave re; 'backing up the registry', produced an ad from H.P. on my pc.-just for your info. Registry cleaners are something a non tech should avoid which I will. Your advice to leave it is sound. Thank you for the help.

#4 drragostea

drragostea

Authentic Member

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Kick malware butt.

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

Silverlight is Microsoft's answer to Adobe's Flash and is designed to enrich Internet applications. If you are not having problems, I would leave it.

They're taking each other head on :unsure:, lols.

Registry cleaners, I wouldn't usually recommend, unless it is this situation which Digerati suggests.
I personally use Revo Uninstaller as my primary installer, because the default Add/Remove programs tend to leave a lot of folders behind. Not all the time, but about half of the time. Revo enables the user to also delete related software registry keys, however the user must take caution on which keys to delete.

Spybot Forum Helper.

#5 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:00 PM

The link you gave re; 'backing up the registry', produced an ad from H.P. on my pc.-just for your info.

What? Not here. Did you just click on them. Once goes to Microsoft Help and Support and the other goes to CCleaner - I just verified that. However,if you are concerned, enter Microsoft KB290301 in Google and you will see it leads to Microsoft. Likewise, enter CCleaner in Google and it will take you to CCleaner download page.

And yes, you are wise to be concerned about registry cleaners and I don't recommend them haphazardly (I do have reputation to maintain, after all). I use CCleaner's and I recommended that specifically because it is NOT overly aggressive and because it does support backing up the Registry. Having said that, I have NEVER had CCleaner's registry cleaner mess up a computer - and without exaggeration, I have probably used it over the years a 1000 times on 100s of different computers.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#6 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:20 PM

I received a lot of useful information which again goes in my learning folder. I got an error message when I tried to remove Silverlight which said the M.S. installer migh not be installed. It apeared to be there, however. I downloaded the installer and all went well. Silverlight remains in the add/remove panel and I'm going to leave well enough alone. Thank you for the advice.

#7 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:15 PM

You are welcome. Good luck and thanks for the followup.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#8 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:29 AM

I thought you would like to know that I checked the updates box in add/remove and there was another Silverlight which I tried to remove. I got the message thatSilverlight cannot be removed. Why I have two I don't know but at least I know it is an installation that states it cannot be uninstalled.

#9 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

So did you use the CleanUp Utility?
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#10 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:06 AM

Yes, I used the clean up utility and there is no Silverlight in add/remove. I think I can leave it alone in case I wan to reinstall to the same default/place. If I did not wan to to use it I could use windows explorer and remove the folder(s)? I noticed the different programs in the box that you select from so can I assume that if I have trouble removing one of them conventionally, I can use the clean up utility? Thanx a lot.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:33 AM

If I did not wan to to use it I could use windows explorer and remove the folder(s)?

And since you do not see Silverlight in the CleanUp utility, then I suspect that is the only way you can remove it - and that's fine.

You might want to verify your status by visiting the Silverlight install page here. If installed, it will show you the version. If not installed, it will prompt you to install - or of course, you can just close the page if you don't want to re-install it.

If the page informs you that Silverlight is not installed, you may want to clean up your Add and Remove list to remove the orphaned entries. See the MSKB Article 314481, How to manually remove programs from the Add or Remove Programs tool. Or you can use Add/Remove Program Cleaner - but remember, this only removes the item(s) from the Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs List and should only be used for items left after the program has been uninstalled, and/or the automatic uninstall process failed.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#12 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:23 AM

Silverlight was in the cleanup utility so I clicked to remove it and it disappeared from the utility's box.
However, when I visited the Silverlight page, it said it was installed.
Does this make sense to you?
I made note of the registry procedures in my folder but don't feel capable of working in the registry at my level of inexperience.
At least I appear to not have a problem -?

Edited by Grampy Pete, 05 June 2008 - 06:25 AM.

#13 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:08 AM

Silverlight was in the cleanup utility so I clicked to remove it and it disappeared from the utility's box.
However, when I visited the Silverlightpage, it said it was installed.
Does this make sense to you?

It can. What apparently was removed was the installer information and not the program itself. Are there currently any Silverlight entries in the CP's Add or Remove Programs list?

For the record, I am not concerned that your computer is messed up, or more importantly, that you might have a security issue. I just think some of the installer information for that program may be corrupt and the biggest problem with that is you don't get a "clean" uninstall.

I would still suggest you download and install CCleaner just to see what's going on. During installation, uncheck the option to install the Yahoo toolbar, and any other options you don't want. Then click on the Registry button, then the Scan for Issues button. The program will NOT make any changes to your Registry, but will list it's findings. No changes will be made until you tell it to Fix selected issues. You can cancel/exit out at anytime without any changes occurring. If you see any installer or uninstaller issues (I suspect there will be many), missing or invalid icons, missing shared dlls, activeX, old or obsolete key issues, or unused file extensions, these can all be safely fixed. You will be prompted and guided through backing up the Registry first. Run through the process again until no issues are found - typically you have to run through 3 times. I do not backup the Registry on the 2nd or 3rd time, since I already backed it up just moments before.

Beginners and experts alike will benefit from the excellent, CCleaner Beginner's Guide.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#14 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:04 AM

There are no entries in add/remove. I think I told you I reinstalled sp3 since we began this dialogue but it doubt it make much difference. I am going to do as you say re: ccleaner. I'll let you know what happens.

#15 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:21 AM

For a little bit more information, most mentioned earlier - here's my canned text on CCleaner:

CCleaner is a great disk cleaning program that is excellent at cleaning the system of 1000s of temporary files, including all history, old logs, Recycle Bin contents, and cache files. During installation, uncheck the option to install the Yahoo toolbar. Before first use, go to Options > Settings > Advanced and ensure Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours is unchecked. To delete all "tracking" cookies, (which I urge you do), you must delete all cookies, so ensure the Cookies setting remains checked. Ensure you know your site credentials (user name and password) for sites you frequent; you will have to login again at next visit. Beginners and experts alike will benefit from the excellent, CCleaner Beginner's Guide.

Note that CCleaner's "Issues" checker is a great Registry cleaner as well. Ensure you follow the prompts to backup the Registry before making changes to it. It is often necessary to scan for issues 2 or 3 times until it reports, "No issues were found". [TIP: Run CC before malware scans and defragging - no need to scan 1000s of temporary files!]
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────