Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

uninstall Silverlight

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:10 PM

I ran ccleaner and,as you said, there was much material to read. To the best of my knowledge, I found no words like installer or uninstaller or Silverlight. After backing up my registry I ran this ccleaner and my machine really flies. I tried all my programs and all seems ok. I went to add/remove and removed the windows scanner installer along with the windows live one care entry; There was no Silverlight entry so I went to Silverlight and it invited me to download Silverlight -I did not. So, All seems well and I thankyou for all of your help.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:41 PM

After backing up my registry I ran this ccleaner and my machine really flies.

:D Good to hear.

The only thing I might suggest is searching your hard drive for Silverlight - there may still be the old folder remaining, doing nothing but taking up hard disk space. You should be able to safely remove it. Or, realizing you are a cautious man (not complaining!) what I do when I am unsure if it is safe to delete a folder or file is rename it - then if something breaks, I rename it back.

The convention I use is simple; I simply append the date to end of the name. In this way, I don't have to worry about remembering the original name, and I can easily see how long it has been since renamed. I don't even have to remember it is there! Weeks or months later, when I stumble on the renamed file or folder, I can tell by the date appended to the name how long it has been and then it is easy to determine if it can safely be deleted.

For example, rename "foldername" to "foldername-6-6-08". Or rename "filename.exe" to "filename.exe-6-6-08". For files, when you change the last 3, you will get a warning that changing the extension may make the file unusable, but you don't care at this point. I avoid using backslash "\" to avoid file system confusion.

However, if another program needs that file or folder, I get a simple warning that "filename" cannot be found and all I have to do is remove my appendage. :blink: :oops: Errr, that does not sound right. I mean, I remove the date at the end. ;)
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#18 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:50 PM

I have just confused my posts again so I'll have to type it again; I had sent you areply but do not see it. I ran the ccleaner and there was a lot of clutter. I read it as well as I could and i saw no mention of installer or uninstaller, or Silverlight. I ran the cleaner and my machine is much faster. I checked add/remove and there was no Silverlight but while I was there i removed the Windows installer for their scanner and the Windows Live one care item. I went o M.S. and Was invited to download Silverlight to which I declined and hope I can assume it is therfore not in my machine. I tried all my programs and all seems good. I back up my registry by creating a restore point then 'running' regedit and 'back up to 1-desktop,2-'backup',3-registration files(*reg),4-all. Hope this all sounds right and I still can't understand where my other reply went to. Thank you P.S. I did not pay attention to the pages 1,2 etc that is why I did not find my post -sorry!

Edited by Grampy Pete, 06 June 2008 - 12:58 PM.

#19 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

P.S. I did not pay attention to the pages 1,2 etc that is why I did not find my post -sorry!

I think that catches everyone some times. Note that System Restore does more than back up the Registry - which may or may not be good depending on what you want to restore, but nevertheless, it is still a good precaution.

Now that you have used CCleaner, you might want to do some customizations to make it fit your needs better. For example, I know cookies from whatthetech.com and forums.whatthetech.com are safe so I have added them to my Cookies to Keep list. In this way, when I run CCleaner, those cookies are not purged and I don't have to enter my username and password again. I have done the same with all the sites I visit frequently.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#20 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:10 PM

Thanx for all your help and I'm sure I'll be knocking on your door again. :wall:

#21 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:11 PM

That's what we're here for.
Freedom is NOT Free!