Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome to What the Tech - Register now for FREE

A community of volunteers who share their knowledge, and answer your tech questions. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message, and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

My clock keeps resetting itself

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MMctagg

MMctagg

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:14 AM

In North America, we all set our clocks forward weeks earlier than usual, so the automatic reset in the system doesn't run. I manually reset my system clock for daylight savings on the correct day (about 3 weeks ago??) But since then, the clock has reset itself at least 3 times, always going back 1 hour. Why on earth would it do this? I've run AdAware, SpyBot, Norton AV Commercial, and Hi-Jack this, but nothing seems to be wrong. I'm running Windows XP Pro.

Edited by MMctagg, 26 March 2008 - 08:15 AM.

Advertisement

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,248 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:27 AM

Hi, Sorry to hear of the problem with your clock. It could be a problem with your settings for your time zone, Have a look here: Start Settings Control Pane Date and Time Time Zone Click on the down arrow to see the choices and check that the correct one for your Zone is selected Make sure there is a tick/checkmark in the box " automatically adjust... for Daylight saving time Ok your way out and see how you go. Regards paws

#3 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,387 posts
  • MVP

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:40 AM

In North America, we all set our clocks forward weeks earlier than usual...

Umm, not any more. We may not be used to the new changeover dates, but this is the now the norm - and more importantly, Microsoft released an update to the Daylight Savings module well before the new changes took effect.

...so the automatic reset in the system doesn't run.

On the contrary, it runs very well.

Therefore, as paws suggests, there is a problem with your system, not Windows. If the procedures he posted do not fix your problem, then you need to go out to Windows Update and make sure your computer is up to current patch and update levels.

And check the Timezone settings carefully, not just the DST box. I once thought I had selected (GMT -06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) but I was in a hurry and had actually selected (GMT -06:00) Central America. Not the same thing! And I checked that a couple times too, but each time I checked it, my mind saw -6 and Central and thought it was right.

#4 brewer116

brewer116

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:29 PM

Open the Date and Time Properties box, then click the "Internet Time" button and uncheck "Automatically synchronize..." Both the Internet time servers with which this feature synchronizes the computer time are wrong. If this box is checked your computer periodically will automatically reset itself to the wrong time.

#5 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,387 posts
  • MVP

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:57 PM

Both the Internet time servers with which this feature synchronizes the computer time are wrong. If this box is checked your computer periodically will automatically reset itself to the wrong time.

Umm, no. Sorry. But that is not correct. The time servers are not wrong. Internet time all over the globe is syncronized to UTC - when XP syncs with a time server, the hour set then is based on your TimeZone settings. The problem with the time servers listed is it is hard to get a connection to them - perhaps because 1/2 Billion XP and Vista machines are hitting them - if they don't connect, they don't sync.

Because those servers are often unavailable, I use Dimension4 (D4) on my XP systems to keep my time accurate - but it still assumes the TimeZone settings are right. What makes it different is if it cannot connect, it will seek out another server, where XP's will just try again next week.

#6 brewer116

brewer116

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:54 PM

Digerati, Thanks for the info on Dimension4. I'll definitely check it out. I agree that the Internet time servers should be correct, but a lot of people (me included) have had our computer continually synchronize with those servers to the wrong time, even though the time zone settings are correct. For instance, I am in the Eastern time zone, and when I check the "Automatically synchronize" checkbox the computer SUCCESSFULLY synchronizes with either of the Internet time servers and is suddenly an hour earlier than the correct local time for me. It is in that sense that I said the time servers were wrong. I am guessing it's that they don't play well with the new DST schedule.

#7 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Classroom Teacher
  • 18,477 posts
  • MVP

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

Just a thought. Some routers have a time setting function built into them. I've seen computer clocks reset not because the computer settings are in error, but rather because the settings in the router is passing bad information through. Not sure I've seen this in a private setting but I've seen it on networks.

#8 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,387 posts
  • MVP

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:02 PM

I am guessing it's that they don't play well with the new DST schedule.

That's just it. The time servers have nothing to do with DST - it's all in the way the computer (regardless the Time Server used) is set up. This includes picking the correct setting for your time zone (for example, there are 3 times zones that are GMT -5 hours - include one for Eastern), and the correct settings for DST correction - assuming the computer is up to date with patches.

And Tomk has a point - if your computer is on a network, the time may be set by a local domain controller, or some other network time source.

#9 dreed

dreed

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:35 AM

Hi. Just registered here to say this :) internet time is wrong. Windows sets system clock to wrong hour. Here, in Australia we change time to winter one a week from now, 6th April, but windows already changed the clock this Sunday. The moment I turn on "automatically synchronize with an Internet time server", clock goes back one hour. Wrong data is fed to my computer. Same thing happens to OP

#10 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,387 posts
  • MVP

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:57 AM

Wrong data is fed to my computer.

No it's not! :(

Wrong data is not being sent your machine! Either you are not synchronizing your system to a genuine "Internet" time server, or your machine is improperly configured for your local time zone.

Internet time servers do NOT send the time to your computers. Your computer queries the time server for the "value" of the current time - the same "value" as any of the 100s of millions of other machines out there from all over the world in every time zone does would get if queried at that moment.

If you are being served the wrong Internet time, then everyone in the whole world is getting the wrong time too. And that ain't happening!

So, if your computer is not converting the Universal Time Constant correctly for your time zone, then that is your computer messing up, NOT Internet time.

For those connected to a domain (often on company networks), please understand that regardless your settings, if your domain controller is your time server, that's the time your computer will always reset to.

#11 dreed

dreed

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

let me say that again. all NSW, state where Sydney is located, receives wrong time (probably other states which also change time too). Europe for example changed time last Sunday. We are changing time upcoming Sunday. So if you claim that time.windows.com has correct time (or whatever that is) then WIndows has incorrect information regarding when to change. (before you ask: my time zone is correctly set)

#12 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Classroom Teacher
  • 18,477 posts
  • MVP

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:38 PM

Have those of you having problems checked w/ Microsoft for DST patches? http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst

#13 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,387 posts
  • MVP

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:47 PM

let me say that again...Sydney ... receives wrong time .

:smack: You can say it all you want, it does not change a thing. You are still incorrect. Nobody is sending the wrong time to Sydney! It is not happening!!!! I am sorry but that is just the way it is!

There is no such thing as daylight savings time to an Internet time server.

Time servers do not care about time changes in different parts of the world.

Internet time NEVER goes on daylight savings time.

GMT is GMT.

Time servers don't care about Windows.

The time servers just report a value based on the UTC - NOT on Sydney time, NOT on New York time, NOT on Europe time. Your computer fetches the value - your computer converts the value to local time. If that is not happening, then again, the problem is on your end. You either have not correctly maintained your Windows to current updates, you are attached to a domain that uses the domain controller for time hacks, or your system is not setup correctly.

Now you can continue you insist that you are right and the rest of the world is wrong - no matter, but again, the wrong time is NOT being sent to Australia.

dreed - I agree with Tomk, and strongly recommend you read up on this a bit so you know a little bit about Internet time and how it works. Thanks, Tomk, I mentioned making sure all updates were applied first off, but did not provide a link.

Perhaps some additional reading would help too:

http://tufi.alphalin...e_computer.html

Advertisement