Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Laptop does not turn on

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Spaceytjk

Spaceytjk

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:15 PM

The Laptop is not able to turn on, except the LEDs for power and battery flicker on and off. I needed a replacement for the hard drive because it was dying, so I bought one and replaced it. Maybe that's the reason why it doesn't work? I have Windows XP. The screen does not turn on either. I've tried Sony's so called "Support Center" and it didn't fix the problem. I reinserted the RAM too. The battery and power cord don't seem to be broken because they were working like 2-3 weeks ago. Any suggestions?

Edited by Spaceytjk, 05 February 2008 - 04:16 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:40 AM

Hi, Sorry to hear of the problems with your laptop computer. If the LED's for the power and battery flicker on and off, then it would be best to start your troubleshooting there. If you move gently, the connection that plugs into the power socket of your laptop and by fixing on a certain position or angle you are able to get a consistent "solid" LED illumination then it indicates that the power socket that is soldered into the motherboard is breaking down. This is a common fault as the socket sometimes experiences a tough life, with strain being put on it through the cable connector. The actual socket does not cost much but the labour in stripping down the machine and re-soldering either the original or a replacement socket into place is quite costly. Great care needs to be taken by the tech to avoid causing additional damage to the motherboard when soldering, especially to heat sensitive components adjacent to the socket. This is really a job for your local competent computer technician to undertake in a well equipped workshop. Next check the output from your power supply to see that it is pushing out the required power and that someone has not inadvertently picked up the wrong power supply...it happens more often than perhaps one would think (the power requirements are usually given either in the mannufacturer's manual or on a plate/sticker on the bottom of your laptop and printed onto the the casing of the power supply.) If you are not able to arrive at an angle or position where the LED's show "solid" then after making sure the machine is properly shut down (not in standby, hibernate or sleep) and with power supply disconnected remove the battery, wait for a minute and then reconnect the power supply without the battery and see how you go. Next try a replacement battery that you know is fully charged (borrow one from a chum if possible) but make sure it's the identical model and approved for use by your laptop's manufacturer. As you have changed the hard drive...check your work to see that you followed the approved procedures........ 1 did you remove the battery before doing the work and ensure that the machine was correctly shut down? 2 did the connectors on the new drive engage correctly with the laptop's connectors? 3 did you check to see that the black plastic (Hard drive) connector adapter ( if required on your machine, was fitted correctly? 4 Did you observe all the required ESD (antistatic) procedures? 5 When replacing the hard drive did you clone your old hard drive....potentially with all its faults, or did you do a fresh install of your operating system? 6 Finally if you can get some solid LED's illuminated, then try booting from Windows installation disc or a live distro of Linux (Knoppix) and see how you go. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Spaceytjk

Spaceytjk

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:05 PM

I think I may have made you misinterpret on what I said. The Laptop does not turn on at all, it did before with the old hard drive. Even if the hard drive is removed, it is the same. Doesn't work either when I put the old hard drive in. When I replaced it with the new hard drive, it does not turn on at all. So what I'm saying is, it worked on the old hard drive and did not turn on after I replaced it with the new one. I did not try turning on the laptop only after the new hard drive was in place. Sorry if this is repetitive. 1. Yes, I removed the battery before dismantling the laptop. 2. Yes 3. There was a connector that I took off from the old hard drive and put it on the new one. Would that be a problem? 4. Yes. 5. The laptop did not turn on at all with the new hard drive in. The old hard drive was dying so I had to replace it. 6. I haven't gotten any solid LED's with the adapter or the battery, so no chance. Since Sony is Sony, there are no Windows installation disc for the laptop as it is kept inside the laptop. Question: When the new hard drive is put in, the LED for busy, the cylinder type LED goes on after the LEDs for the power and battery.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:17 PM

Hi, Ok
I didn't understand the following:

Question: When the new hard drive is put in, the LED for busy, the cylinder type LED goes on after the LEDs for the power and battery.

Can you expand on it please?

Try and boot using a Microsoft Windows XP Home edition SP2 installation disc (assuming this is the OS installed in your machine) its OK to borrow one from a chum if you don't have one handy...you don't need a special Sony one as all you are doing at this stage is trying to see if you can get the machine to boot.
The black connector should usually be fitted

How did you get on with the Knoppix disc?
How did you get on with a replacement battery?
if you have tried all the above and the suggestions in my previous post and with no signs of life then maybe its best to consider getting a local computer technician to check it out for you but do get a quote first as new machines are pretty cheap now. and your bill could soon approach the cost of a new one (GBP) £275 in the UK incl tax at 17.5% op syst., full warranty and delivery to the door (equivalent of about (USD $550)
It might be helpful to let us know the exact make and model number of your machine as we keep records of machines with known problems!
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Spaceytjk

Spaceytjk

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:24 PM

Hi, Ok
I didn't understand the following:

Question: When the new hard drive is put in, the LED for busy, the cylinder type LED goes on after the LEDs for the power and battery.

Can you expand on it please?

Well, whenever I try turning on the laptop without either hard drive, only the LEDs for the power and battery flicker. With the new hard drive in, the busy LED turns on, the one that looks like a cylinder type symbol, like a soda can. I have no installation disc for Windows XP Home Edition SP2, but I do have an SP1 that's for Dell computers. For the Knoppix disc, I can't open the CD slot unless there is a way to do that? I have no replacement battery except for the one that was included, which didn't work either. The Sony Laptop is a PCG-V505EX, Model #PCG-6B1L.

I live in the U.S. so the cost might be cheaper and I plan on fixing this laptop as an extra because I use a desktop now. I probably will go to a computer technician and see what is wrong if it can't be solved here.

Thank you for the replies. I appreciate your help. :thumbup:

Edited by Spaceytjk, 07 February 2008 - 03:24 PM.

#6 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:28 PM

Hi Spaceytjk, It's been quite some time since your last post, and I imagine that it is likely you have resorted to contacting a local shop for your solution. You would not be able to load the XP operating system onto your Sony Laptop from an XP SP1 CD created for use with Dell computers. However, since hard drive replacement was required, Sony will probably provide a Recovery CD to reinstall. My experience with other name brands is that the CD is available for about $30 US. Contact them by phone if you wish to obtain the install CD. Wishing you well with your repair. Thanks for considering WTT Forums for your learning and repair needs. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.