Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93078 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

WIRELESS NOT CONNECTED, FIREWALLED...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 LezModel

LezModel

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:30 PM

Hello, All of a sudden I can't connect to the internet on my laptop. The desktop is internet is working fine. However, when I right-click on the wireless network connection it says not connected, firewalled. Also, when I try to repair it, it says trouble connecting to wireless network. When I try to view available networks, I don't even see my network listed. Can anyone give me advice to try and fix this problem?? That would be gladly appreciated because I have tried everything that I can think of. I do look foward to hearing from someone soon!! CHEERS!! :huh:

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:06 PM

Hi Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the wi-fi connection.
As a first step, check in Device Manager to see if your network adaptor is correctly configured (no Yellow or Red flags showing) and that the properties display an encouraging message that all is well.

Next make sure that you are either using the network adaptor software or Windows to connect but not both together.
Here's some useful information on the Windows Zero configuration service.
http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
Check that you have entered the correct password/phrase to satisfy the WPA encryption set up through your router.
Post back if you have any further questions but please be sure to tell us how your system is configured Router and Network Adapter details,...... Make and model numbers will also help us to help you.
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 LezModel

LezModel

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:15 PM

Hello, I did check the Windows Zero configuration and it was started and it was also set to automatic. We are using a Linksys router and the host computer works fine. I noticed that in the Network Connections in the LAN or High Speed Internet section, it says that "1394 Connection 4" is disabled, firewalled, 1394 Net Adapter. I have no idea where that came from. Also the one we normally use is Wireless Network Connection 3 and that is the one that says, "Not connected, firewalled", Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection. Lastly, there is another one there that says Local Area Connection 3 disabled, Firewalled, Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. ** Please note that on the host computer under Network Connections, it says Local Area Connection, Connected, Firewalled, Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection. ** There is also something else that was never on there which is Broadband, and under that it says Broadband Connection, disconnected, firewalled. I am not sure what or where all of the other connections came from, but I just want to know how to connect to the correct network successfully. **I don't know why I can't see my network on the list even when I "refresh the network list".** Please let me know if there is any other information that I can provide for you. Thanks again! CHEERS!!

Edited by LezModel, 22 December 2007 - 06:27 PM.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:10 AM

Hi,
OK
1 When you refer to the "Host Computer" do you mean the computer that is physically plugged in to one of the trusted ports on your router?

2 Your 1394 connection is your Firewire port, its OK for the time being, that it is "disconnected" but you may need to connect this if you are going to use it e.g. transfer video footage from your camcorder to your PC via your Fire wire port.

3 Wireless connection 3 (Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG) is the one to use for receiving a wireless signal from your wireless access point, set this to enabled and click on repair, check the lights on your wireless access point to ensure that the wireless signal is being transmitted,

4 When posting back please confirm how you connect to the Internet, does your Linksys router include a wireless access point and an ADSL connection for example,

Make and model numbers will also help us to help you.

5 Your other connection,Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. (That is also identified as Number 3) is your connection that you would use if your laptop was being connected to one of the trusted ports of your router by a cable/wire (often called a patch or Cat 5 cable) Whilst using or attempting to use wireless for connection this wired connection should be set to disconnected.

6 You will have a conflict between your two Number 3 connections, (IE one of them should be called No.4) so it would be best to make sure you have the drivers for your wireless adapter and then uninstall it, do a reboot (most important) and then reinstall your wireless adapter again.

7 The Broadband connection that you mention "was never there" could be as a result of having at one time a different type of modem installed. (We can investigate this further once you let us have make and model numbers of all your kit, (including your laptop.)

8 Lastly please check to ensure that your software firewall is configured to allow Internet access,
Regards and best wishes for the Holiday season
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 LezModel

LezModel

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:45 PM

Hi, OK 1 When you refer to the "Host Computer" do you mean the computer that is physically plugged in to one of the trusted ports on your router? THE HOST COMPUTER IS THE DESKTOP THAT THE ROUTER IS ACTUALLY PLUGGED INTO. THE ROUTER THAT I AM USING IS A LINKSYS WIRELESS G 2.4GHZ. 2 Your 1394 connection is your Firewire port, its OK for the time being, that it is "disconnected" but you may need to connect this if you are going to use it e.g. transfer video footage from your camcorder to your PC via your Fire wire port. I WILL KEEP THIS 1394 CONNECTION, DISCONNECTED WE NEVER USE A CAMCORDER. 3 Wireless connection 3 (Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG) is the one to use for receiving a wireless signal from your wireless access point, set this to enabled and click on repair, check the lights on your wireless access point to ensure that the wireless signal is being transmitted, I HAVE TRIED TO ENABLE THIS, BUT IT STILL COMES UP AS NOT CONNECTED, FIREWALLED. THEN WHEN I TRY TO "REPAIR" IT IT SAYS, "WINDOWS COULD NOT FINISH REPAIRING THE PROBLEM BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING ACTION CANNOT BE COMPLETED: CONNECTING TO THE WIRELESS NETWORK." 4 When posting back please confirm how you connect to the Internet, does your Linksys router include a wireless access point and an ADSL connection for example, QUOTE Make and model numbers will also help us to help you. WE HAVE A DSL CONNECTION THAT USES A WESTELL MODEM MODEL # E90-160030-06. THE LAPTOP WHERE WE CANT SEEM TO GET A CONNECTION IS A TOSHIBA THAT IS USING WINDOWS XP. I CAN'T FIND THE MODEL # ON THERE THOUGH. 5 Your other connection,Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. (That is also identified as Number 3) is your connection that you would use if your laptop was being connected to one of the trusted ports of your router by a cable/wire (often called a patch or Cat 5 cable) Whilst using or attempting to use wireless for connection this wired connection should be set to disconnected. I HAVE DISCONNECTED THIS CONNECTION. 6 You will have a conflict between your two Number 3 connections, (IE one of them should be called No.4) so it would be best to make sure you have the drivers for your wireless adapter and then uninstall it, do a reboot (most important) and then reinstall your wireless adapter again. THE WIRELESS USED TO BE #4, BUT ALL OF A SUDDEN IT CAME UP AS #3. SO I AM NOT SURE HOW TO RENAME IT SO THAT THERE ISN'T A CONFLICT. I AM NOT THE MOST COMPUTER SAVY OF PEOPLE SO WHEN YOU SAY, "so it would be best to make sure you have the drivers for your wireless adapter and then uninstall it, do a reboot (most important) and then reinstall your wireless adapter again" I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS. CAN U PLEASE CLARIFY.... SORRY 7 The Broadband connection that you mention "was never there" could be as a result of having at one time a different type of modem installed. (We can investigate this further once you let us have make and model numbers of all your kit, (including your laptop.) 8 Lastly please check to ensure that your software firewall is configured to allow Internet access, HOW DO I CHECK THAT? ONE MINUTE I WAS USING THE INTERNET FINE ON THE LAPTOP AND LITERALLY THE NEXT, I COULDN'T EVEN SEE MY WIRELESS NETWORK PLEASE NOTE THAT WHEN I RIGHT CLICK ON THE WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION 3 AND GO TO PROPERTIES, THEN TO WIRELESS NETWORKS, I SEE THE NETWORK AND IT SAYS MANUAL NEXT TO IT. HOW CAN IT SHOW IT THERE, BUT THEN NOT SHOW THAT IT IS EVEN IN RANGE? Regards and best wishes for the Holiday season paws

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:09 PM

Hi, Ok Try this, Go into Device Manager find your wireless network adapter card, (there will probably be a yellow or a red mark against it) Click on properties and then on update drivers. Let your machine search for the drivers if it asks to connect to the Internet to search respond with NO see if Windows will update the driver. if it looks promising then Reboot your computer and see how you go. If still no joy then plug a cat 5 patch cable (NOT a crossover cable) from the network port (Ethernet) in your laptop to one of the trusted ports of your router, enable your Realtec connection, and follow the instructions in Device manager to update the drivers but this time allow Windows to access the Internet to locate and install the correct drivers for your Wireless Network adapter. When it has all done reboot your computer, right click on your Wireless Network connection set it to enable or connect and also click on repair. To access Device manager Right click My computer, Click on Properties>Hardware>Device Manager and find the network adapters click on the +sign and you should see both your Wired Network adapter and your Wireless adapter right click on the Wireless adapter and click on update driver. See how you go Good luck Regards paws

#7 LezModel

LezModel

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:04 PM

HEY THERE,

Go into Device Manager find your wireless network adapter card, (there will probably be a yellow or a red mark against it) Click on properties and then on update drivers.
Let your machine search for the drivers if it asks to connect to the Internet to search respond with NO see if Windows will update the driver. if it looks promising then Reboot your computer and see how you go.

I WENT TO THE DEVICE MANAGER AND I SAW THE WIRELESS ADAPTER NAMED INTEL... DIDN'T HAVE THE AN X, BUT THE REALTEK DID, WHICH WAS THE LOCATION AREA CONNECTION3. I TRIED TO DO THE UPDATE, BUT IT WON'T LET ME WITHOUT A CD OR DISK.

If still no joy then plug a cat 5 patch cable (NOT a crossover cable) from the network port (Ethernet) in your laptop to one of the trusted ports of your router, enable your Realtec connection, and follow the instructions in Device manager to update the drivers but this time allow Windows to access the Internet to locate and install the correct drivers for your Wireless Network adapter.
When it has all done reboot your computer, right click on your Wireless Network connection set it to enable or connect and also click on repair.

I DID PLUG IN A CAT 5 TO THE ROUTER AND THEN TO THE LAPTOP. I SAW THE PORT LIGHT UP IN THE CORRECT SPOT. THEN I DID ENABLE THE REALTEK CONNECTION AND FOLLOWED YOUR DIRECTIONS IN THE DEVICE MANAGER, HOWEVER, AGAIN IT ASKS FOR A DISK TO DO AN UPDATE. IT DOESN'T GIVE ME AN OPTION FOR THE INTERNET TO LOCATE IT.

To access Device manager Right click My computer, Click on Properties>Hardware>Device Manager and find the network adapters click on the +sign and you should see both your Wired Network adapter and your Wireless adapter right click on the Wireless adapter and click on update driver.

OK SO I AM BACK TO SQUARE ONE AGAIN. I AM STILL NOT SURE HOW TO GET THIS LAPTOP TO PICK UP THE WIRELESS NETWORK. IT PICKS UP OTHERS, JUST NOT MINE. JUST A COUPLE OF SAYS AGO, I DID SECURE IT THROUGH LINKSYS AND THAT WASN'T A PROBLEM. I DON'T THINK THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. I SET IT UP SO THAT ONLY OUR ONE LAPTOP AND DESKTOP (THE HOST THAT THE ROUTER IS ACTUALLY HOOKED UP TO) WILL BE ABLE TO ACCESS OUT NETWORK.

#8 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:34 PM

Hi, Ok, Next step then is as follows: 1 Go into your wireless access point/router's set up page via your browser in the normal way 2 Disable any form of encryption either WEP or WPA 3 Set your SSID to be broadcast (ie not hidden.) 4 Do not restrict access to computers (by their MAC address) 5 Save your settings in the wireless access point/router 6 Exit the wireless access point.router 7 set your laptop's wireless connection to enabled/connected, reboot. 8 You may disable (just for a short while your 2 way software firewall whilst you test your connection (Your Linksys will have a hardware firewall included in it so the absence of your software firewall for a short while while you test may be Ok however...its' your machine so your call on that one! However if you haven't set up your firewall to grant access to your LAN then this would account for your symptons. Check the lights on your router do they indicate you have an ADSL connection? and that the wireless is broadcasting? see how you go. If all is well do not forget to reintroduce all your protections! if still no joy, then open a command prompt* and type in the following ipconfig /release (hit the enter key) ipconfig /flushdns (hit the enter key) ipconfig /renew (hit the enter key) exit (Hit the enter key) Note the commands must be exactly as set out and note also the spaces are essential. If you get any error messages please write them down accurately and include them in your next reply. *To open a command prompt Start>Run Type into the white box cmd (hit the enter key) Now you are at the command prompt (flashing cursor) use the above mentioned commands. Regards paws

#9 LezModel

LezModel

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:02 PM

Hi,
Ok,
Next step then is as follows:
1 Go into your wireless access point/router's set up page via your browser in the normal way
2 Disable any form of encryption either WEP or WPA
3 Set your SSID to be broadcast (ie not hidden.)
4 Do not restrict access to computers (by their MAC address)
5 Save your settings in the wireless access point/router
6 Exit the wireless access point.router
7 set your laptop's wireless connection to enabled/connected, reboot.
8 You may disable (just for a short while your 2 way software firewall whilst you test your connection (Your Linksys will have a hardware firewall included in it so the absence of your software firewall for a short while while you test may be Ok however...its' your machine so your call on that one! However if you haven't set up your firewall to grant access to your LAN then this would account for your symptons.
Check the lights on your router do they indicate you have an ADSL connection? and that the wireless is broadcasting?

see how you go.
OK I DISABLED EVERYTHING YOU TOLD ME. IT IS STILL NOT PICKING UP ANYTHING. THE LAPTOP HAS THE BUTTON FOR WIRELESS ON & OFF AND IT IS IN ON MODE AND THE LIGHT IS ON.

If all is well do not forget to reintroduce all your protections!

if still no joy, then open a command prompt* and type in the following
ipconfig /release (hit the enter key)

WHEN I TYPE THIS IN I GET THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE:
"NO OPERATION CAN BE PERFORMED ON WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION 3 WHILE IT HAS ITS MEDIA DISCONNECTED."

ipconfig /flushdns (hit the enter key)
"SUCCESSFULLY FLUSED THE DNS RESOLVER CACHE."

ipconfig /renew (hit the enter key)

"NO OPERATION CAN BE PERFORMED ON WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION 3 WHILE IT HAS ITS MEDIA DISCONNECTED."

exit (Hit the enter key)

Note the commands must be exactly as set out and note also the spaces are essential. If you get any error messages please write them down accurately and include them in your next reply.

*To open a command prompt
Start>Run
Type into the white box
cmd (hit the enter key)
Now you are at the command prompt (flashing cursor) use the above mentioned commands.
Regards

Edited by LezModel, 23 December 2007 - 08:05 PM.

#10 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 02:32 AM

Hi, Ok, This could mean that either your wireless access point is not broadcasting a signal, or it is broadcasting an encrypted signal, or you have not yet disabled MAC filtering, so make sure that you have turned off encryption in your router and that your SSID is being broadcast. and your MAC filtering is disabled (as mentioned before.) 1 Can you confirm you have addressed these things please? 2 A low tech test is to see if a known working wireless network adapter in another laptop (perhaps belonging to a chum) can pick up the wireless signal from your WAP/router and connect to the Internet. (with its 2 way software firewall disabled as a temporary measure, or enabled to access your LAN ) If it can, then you have identified that the problem is with your laptop's configuration and we can take it from there. 3 If it can't then this indicates that the problem is within the configuration of, or the WAP/router itself . Post back with the results and comments on each of the 3 items listed above and we will take it from there. Regards paws

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 LezModel

LezModel

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 03:22 PM

Hello, The SSID was enabled, so I did disable it. Now when I view the available wireless networks, I do see ours, however, it won't let us connect to it. When I try to "repair" it , the same message comes up, "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Connecting to the wireless networl." So what should I do next? Looks like we are at least one step closer, since the laptop is actually picking it up.

Edited by LezModel, 24 December 2007 - 03:25 PM.

#12 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 04:27 PM

Hi,
Ok,
Yes you are right now you can see the wireless connection you have made great progress.
The next step is to:
1 Make sure you have turned off any form of encryption in your WAP/router and you are not limiting access by MAC address and that your 2 way software firewall is off.(disabled)
2 Now ensure that only your wireless connection is enabled (in Network Connections).
3 You may need to uninstall your Realtec Network Adapter through Device manager (you will remember this is the one that has a yellow or Red flag against it) do a reboot and then Windows should reinstall the drivers for you.
Check to make sure that you have done everything above and if your machine can still see your wireless connection then all should be well, BUT anything especially in item 1 above that you have not done will be sufficient to stop your Internet from being available.
Post back and tell us how you are getting on
Regards
paws

#13 LezModel

LezModel

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 05:21 PM

Hi, Ok, Yes you are right now you can see the wireless connection you have made great progress. The next step is to: 1 Make sure you have turned off any form of encryption in your WAP/router and you are not limiting access by MAC address and that your 2 way software firewall is off.(disabled) I HAVE DISABLE THIS, IT WAS ON WPA PERSONAL AND THE MAC FILTER IS DISABLED. 2 Now ensure that only your wireless connection is enabled (in Network Connections). INSIDE OF THE NETWORK CONNECTIONS IT LOOKS LIKE THIS: BROADBAND CONNECTION DISCONNECTED, FIREWALLED, WAN MINIPORT (PPPOE) 1394 CONNECTION 5 DISABLED, FIREWALLED, 1394 NET ADAPTER LOCAL AREA CONNECTION 2 DISABLED, FIREWALLED, REALTEK RTL8139/810X FAMILY WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION 3 NOT CONNECTED, FIREWALLED, INTEL® PRO/WIRELESS 2200BG NETWORK CONNECTION 3 You may need to uninstall your Realtec Network Adapter through Device manager (you will remember this is the one that has a yellow or Red flag against it) do a reboot and then Windows should reinstall the drivers for you. OK I DID UNINSTALL THIS AND REBOOTED. ONCE IT WAS BACK UP IT DID REINSTALL THE DRIVER. I HAVE TRIED TO CONNECT AND IT IS STILL GIVING ME THE SAME MESSAGES, SORRY TO BE SUCH A PAIN, BUT I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT.

#14 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 03:18 AM

Hi, 1 Is your software firewall disabled? According to your last post you still have it enabled!!! 2 Can your laptop still "see" your wireless network connection? 3 If so right click on it and select repair 4 What was the result, when you tried to connect by another different laptop? (a chum' s wireless equipped laptop) 5 You can also try again, the cmd line ipconfig commands that you tried earlier. Post back with your answers 1 through 5 (we are getting closer!) Regards paws

Edited by paws, 25 December 2007 - 03:36 AM.

#15 LezModel

LezModel

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:37 AM

Hi, 1 Is your software firewall disabled? According to your last post you still have it enabled!!! OK, WHEN I GO TO THE LINKSYS PAGE, I WENT TO THE WIRELESS SECURITY PAGE AND THE SECURITY MODE IS ON THERE AND THAT WAS ALREADY DISABLED. THE WIRELESS NETWORK MODE IS SET TO MIXED, IS THAT THE ONE THAT SHOULD BE DISABLED? I GUESS MY NEXT QUESTION IF IT ISN'T IS, WHERE DO I FIND THE "SOFTWARE FIREWALL" TO DISABLE IT? MAYBE I AM LOOKING IN THE WRONG PLACE. 2 Can your laptop still "see" your wireless network connection? YES, THE LAPTOP CAN STILL SEE THE WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION 3 If so right click on it and select repair DONE THAT 4 What was the result, when you tried to connect by another different laptop? (a chum' s wireless equipped laptop) ALL OF OUR FRIENDS AREN'T HERE BECAUSE OF THE HOLIDAYS, SO WE CAN'T TRY USE ANOTHER LAPTOP TO USE TRY THIS METHOD. 5 You can also try again, the cmd line ipconfig commands that you tried earlier. WHEN I DO THE FIRST ONE IPCONFIG /RELASE IT STILL GIVES ME THE SAME RESPONSE, "NO OPERATION CAN BE PERFORMED ON WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION 3 WHILE IT HAS ITS MEDIA DISCONNECTED. Post back with your answers 1 through 5 (we are getting closer!) Regards paws