Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Putting the Desktop Icon on the bottom tool bar

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dconant1

dconant1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:29 PM

I used to have an icon on the bottom left side of my tool bar right next to the START button. How can I get it there again? I have WIN2000. Also I have XP on my laptop and want to get a desktop icon on the bottom tool bar as well. Can I get a twofer ....?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

I used to have an icon on the bottom left side of my tool bar right next to the START button. How can I get it there again? I have WIN2000. Also I have XP on my laptop and want to get a desktop icon on the bottom tool bar as well. Can I get a twofer ....?

Hi 'dconant1'

Make sure your taskbar is unlocked, right click on it and to do this scroll down and uncheck "lock the taskbar"

Whatever icon you want in your taskbar, say it is WhattheTech site you are reading this reply on, go to file, scroll down to Send> choose "shortcut to desktop" then mimimise WTT site, hold down the left button of the mouse and drag the icon into the taskbar at the bottom where you want it to be.

Hope this is clear for you,

Best regards,

Edited by tallin, 01 December 2007 - 05:05 PM.

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:08 PM

Sure. You get a Twofer, since the solution is the same in both operating systems. Right-Click on any empty area of the toolbar Select the item - Toolbars Remove the checkmark/tick from in front of the item - Lock Toolbar (if it is already marked) Right-Click on any empty area of the toolbar Select the item - Toolbars Place a checkmark/tick in front of the item - Quick Launch Now a group of icons will be visible near the Start Button (usually Internet Explorer and a few other application that put icons their by default) You can now use your mouse cursor to drag the desired Desktop Icon to the Quick Launch area of your Tool Bar You can resize the Quick Launch area by dragging it wider if you wish. You can rearrange the position of icons within the Quick Launch by dragging them to the position you desire. You can leave the Quick Launch area "unlocked" or reselect Lock Toolbar to compress the area, your choice. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:16 PM

EDIT WOW! tallin and Doug you sure type quicker than me!

Hi,
Sorry to hear that you have lost the shortcut to "Desktop" from your quick launch toolbar.

To get it back in Windows XP try this:

1 Click Start
2 Click Run
3 TYpe in the white box:

Notepad

4 Notepad will open
copy and paste the following into notepad:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

5 Save this as "Desktop.scf" but without the quote marks (save it to your desktop)
6 Drag the Icon for the above to your quick Launch Toolbar
see how you go.
NOTE make sure the file is saved as a .scf and not a .txt file

The above procedure should also work with Windows 2000, but I haven't fired up a WIN 2K machine to test it, so let us know how you go.
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:52 PM

EDIT WOW! tallin and Doug you sure type quicker than me!

Hi,
Sorry to hear that you have lost the shortcut to "Desktop" from your quick launch toolbar.

To get it back in Windows XP try this:

1 Click Start
2 Click Run
3 TYpe in the white box:

Notepad

4 Notepad will open
copy and paste the following into notepad:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

5 Save this as "Desktop.scf" but without the quote marks (save it to your desktop)
6 Drag the Icon for the above to your quick Launch Toolbar
see how you go.
NOTE make sure the file is saved as a .scf and not a .txt file

The above procedure should also work with Windows 2000, but I haven't fired up a WIN 2K machine to test it, so let us know how you go.
Regards
paws

Paws, thanks for your information and how you do what 'dconant1' asked. I am always wanting to learn how others do things. I only got the option to "Save as a text file"

That did not work for me as I did not get an option to

NOTE make sure the file is saved as a .scf and not a .txt file.

My options were "Text documents or All files" and under the heading Encoding:

Encoding:
ANSI
Uniclode
Uniclode big endian
UTF-8

I am interested to know why that would be please?

thanks Paws, kind regards,

#6 dconant1

dconant1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:29 PM

that did it - VOILA! MAGNIFIQUE!! I now have my desktop icon back. Thanks to all the boys in the desktop icon band. I appreciate it.

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:30 PM

Ah ha, this is actually the "Show Desktop" icon that is normally in the Quick Launch tray of the TaskBar. As for saving it, you can ignore the "Save as type" setting, just enclose the file in double quotes, I.E. "Desktop.scf". Enclosing in double quotes tells notepad to not affix the .txt file extension.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown