Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

What causes low internet connection on wireless network computers?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bond007

Bond007

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:52 AM

I've realized that wireless network connections is not convenient this days. Even after setting up your wireless connection so you can access the internet; you're still bound to encounter problems later in the future. In my case, I connect to the internet through a residential gateway attached to a DSL modem. My wireless network was setup using the windows wireless network wizard, so I'm positive my connection is setup right. But what I don't get... is the slow or low signal strenght that my wireless connection be getting. The speed is 11.0 Mbps which seems fine but that doesn't make my wireless connection any better. Also, majority of the time when I utilize the "repair" wireless connection option; it takes forever renewing my IP address and when it finally shows the "connected" status box I still can't get online. Although, some other programs on my computer like instant messaging programs or checking for updates on some software do connect to the internet but never Internet Explorer. I've used the network diagnostic problem solver but it never resolve the issue. So, here's the question.. why is my wireless connection low/taking forever to connect. I'm not that convinced if it's my Firewall because I have that of Norton Anti-virus and also dowloaded Zonealarm personal firewall free version. Can someone explain to me how this really works or what to do to fix my low or no internet connection problem? thanks in advance

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:59 AM

wireless connections can be kind of flakey. regardless of what the manufacturers say- the minute you start putting walls between the computer and router your signal will get weaker. you shouldnt have to be repairing your connection all the time. a faster way is to type ipconfig /release , then ipconfig /renew in a prompt. start>run>type in cmd. at the prompt type in ipconfig /release. note there is a space after ipconfig. then type in ipconfig /renew. it does the same thing as a windows repair. you only have one firewall software (ZA) correct? your gateway is set up correctly? iam not very familiar with dsl modems. Your computer is malware free? Have you contacted your ISP about the issue. shelf life
How Can I Reduce My Risk?

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:51 PM

Hi Bond007,

Shelf Life has pretty much noted all the most likely concerns.

However, this Statement confuses me:

I'm not that convinced if it's my Firewall because I have that of Norton Anti-virus and also dowloaded Zonealarm personal firewall free version.

Are you stating that you have:
Norton AntiVirus
Zone Alarm Firewall

or

Do you have:
Norton Security Suite (that also contains a firewall)
plus
Zone Alarm Firewall

One important Setting that may need to be considered....
Zone Alarm allows the owner/user to designate the "IP Range" to be included into its Trusted Zone
"IP Range" refers to the addresses of computers that you own on your local network, which might include one or more Desktop and one or more Laptop.

Open Zone Alarm by double-clicking on its Icon in the notification area of your Tray (down by your clock)
Select - Firewall (in the left had column of the Zone Alarm panel)
In the display that comes up, you will see a listing of the IP Addresses that have permission to pass through Zone Alarm Firewall.
In the lower right corner you will see an ADD button
When you click on the ADD Button, one of the items that you can ADD is the "IP Range" which includes the IP Address of your Laptop.
Your Laptop's IP Address should be included in the listing of Trusted Zone.

Even though Shelf Life has given excellent instructions for refreshing your IP configuration,
I'm including the same information below.
I'm a "list" kind of guy and work better when things are laid out that way, so am offering it in that format to you.

On the machine that is having erratic connection, perform the following:

Start - Run - (type)cmd
this will bring up a DOS Box display with a blinking cursor

At the blinking cursor type the following commands in sequence, waiting for the procedures to complete before entering the next command:

ipconfig /release - enter <-- notice the required space before the "/"
ipconfig /renew - enter <-- notice the required space before the "/"
ipconfig /flushDNS - enter <-- notice the required space before the "/"

(Each of the above ipconfig steps may take from a few seconds to a minute or so to complete.
Wait for the blinking cursor to return before moving on to typing the next command.)

If the above does not remedy the problem, try this Next:
go here:
http://files.webatta...insockxpFix.exe
Download Winsockxpfix.exe to your Desktop

Run Winsockxpfix.exe

For additional information about Winsockfix.exe you may read, here:
The graphical presentation walks the user through the entire process.
http://www.iup.edu/h...net/winfix.shtm

Best Regards

Edited by Doug, 04 November 2007 - 10:55 PM.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#4 Bond007

Bond007

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:21 AM

Hi, my IP address is listed in zonealarm and also in norton anti-virus security suite. I have tried using command prompt to reset my IP Configuration just as you directed but the low or no connection problem still exist. Sometimes it says Good, low, or very low connection. Although, during this procedure; releasing my IPconfig wasn't successful due to my local area connection that was said to be unplugged or disconnected. I had to download Winsockxpfix, but there was an error during registry backup because some files couldn't be saved on my computer. So, I'm able to get online sometimes but with low connection status, and other times I just can't get online even after repeating the processes you suggested earlier. I'm not sure of any other way to resolve this issue, but i've been thinking about getting a wireless adapter to use in conjuction with the one already built-in otherwise i'm out of ideas. thanks

#5 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:17 PM

Hi, You mention Zone Alarm and Norton antivirus security suite, both have references to your IP address Are you running 2 software firewalls at the same time? Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate