Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Resolved: MS Windows Installation Failures: error code 0x80246008

Best Answer Digerati , 29 October 2007 - 08:47 AM

For more information, see MSKB Article ID: 910337 . Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kim P.

Kim P.

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:19 AM

The Problem:

1. Since downloading a virus detection program in July, I had been unable to update my MS Windows, perform Security Updates, or Upload Windows Defender updates. Program was uninstalled, but problem remained. Several attempts to resolve installation failures were unsuccessful (via MS Tech Help) -- until now, of course.

2. Error code for all Installation Failures: 0x80246008

3. Troubleshooting section at the MS website led me to discover the problem via:
  • Start > Run > Type in: services.msc
  • Right Click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service
  • Click on Properties
  • Service Status = STOPPED
  • Could not click on START
4. When I tried to click on START in the BITS properties, I received this error message:

"Could not start the BAckground Intelligent Transfer Service service on locl computer.
Error 126: The specified module could not be found."

The resolution to this problem came from tech help (MS Windows website) -- I'll quote from the tech's email (below).
Please note - the first suggested step worked for me immediately.

----------------------------------------------------------
*From MS Windows Tech Help:

From your description, I understand that the computer failed to install updates with the error code 0x80246008 and when starting the BITS, the error 126 occurred. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know.

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.

Since the situation, it's recommended we follow the steps below to fix BITS and then try to install updates again.

1. Click Start, and click Run
2. Enter the following command, and press Enter

Reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Parameters /v ServiceDll /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d %windir%\System32\qmgr.dll

- Note: You also must select "y" at the prompt

3. Restart the PC and retry Windows Update

If the above command does not work, please try the following command:

Reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup

4. Restart the PC.

Now please try to install updates again. If the issue persists or the BITS cannot start, please feel free to let me know.

--------------------------------

I hope this will help someone else out there with the same problem.

Cheers,
Kim

Edited by Kim P., 29 October 2007 - 08:20 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:47 AM   Best Answer

For more information, see MSKB Article ID: 910337 .
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#3 Kim P.

Kim P.

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:06 AM

The problem with the MS Troubleshooting section , is that when you run a search on your error code, you get an endless list of threads (from their forum) or from MS articles, self-help steps, etc. I NEVER found this page, if you can believe it, after months of trying every fix option, one at a time -- then resorting to tech help... and even then, after sending them ALL sorts of stuff from my computer (logfiles, etc), they still didn't understand what the problem was. It was crazy. I finally got tired of trying --- but knew I had to resolve it FAST, so got down to business with it a few days ago. :) Honestly, you can spend HOURS searching MS website using the error number as the keyword... Had I seen this in July, I would have been one happy girl. :) Thanks for posting that! ~Kim

Edited by Kim P., 29 October 2007 - 09:06 AM.

#4 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:21 AM

No problem. Please note I simply plugged 0x80246008 in Google and it was one of the first hits listed.

Edited by Digerati, 29 October 2007 - 10:22 AM.

Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#5 Kim P.

Kim P.

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:25 AM

(picking my pride up off the floor)..... sometimes, when you're so flustered and ticked off... you can't see the forest through the trees. :blush: I missed that one. In fact, I only used the yahoo search... how bad is THAT! I have an inch high stack of error code fixes that I printed from the internet (MS website, forums, etc)... but did not come across this one. I swear! LOL!! Needless to say, I will not be a WTT student anytime soon -- just a donor. :thumbup:

Edited by Kim P., 29 October 2007 - 10:26 AM.

#6 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:40 AM

lol - no problem. Please also note that I have been doing IT (mostly hardware) for 30+ years - so I know enough to know there's always more to learn!
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#7 norbolig

norbolig

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:25 PM

Thanks Kim P. Solved my problem, after several hours of looking for a solution.

#8 Rebecca_NZ

Rebecca_NZ

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Writing, peforming, & teaching music... and tinkering with my computers until I break them...

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:12 AM

I know this is an old topic, but THANK YOU!! :clap: and yes I'm yelling that because this answer fixed my laptop in 10 min, and that's using a dial-up connection. I got it back from a tech this afternoon, "fixed", and found the same problem was still there. I'd searched all the error codes, tried the MS Fixits, tried re-registering BITS, reinstalling the file from disc, re-installing the update agent, this was the fix. Really appreciated - Rebecca :banana:

#9 Greenguru

Greenguru

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

The Problem:

1. Since downloading a virus detection program in July, I had been unable to update my MS Windows, perform Security Updates, or Upload Windows Defender updates. Program was uninstalled, but problem remained. Several attempts to resolve installation failures were unsuccessful (via MS Tech Help) -- until now, of course.

2. Error code for all Installation Failures: 0x80246008

3. Troubleshooting section at the MS website led me to discover the problem via:

• Start > Run > Type in: services.msc
  • Right Click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service
  • Click on Properties
  • Service Status = STOPPED
  • Could not click on START

4. When I tried to click on START in the BITS properties, I received this error message:

"Could not start the BAckground Intelligent Transfer Service service on locl computer.
Error 126: The specified module could not be found."

The resolution to this problem came from tech help (MS Windows website) -- I'll quote from the tech's email (below).
Please note - the first suggested step worked for me immediately.

----------------------------------------------------------
*From MS Windows Tech Help:

From your description, I understand that the computer failed to install updates with the error code 0x80246008 and when starting the BITS, the error 126 occurred. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know.

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.

Since the situation, it's recommended we follow the steps below to fix BITS and then try to install updates again.

1. Click Start, and click Run
2. Enter the following command, and press Enter

Reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\Parameters /v ServiceDll /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d %windir%\System32\qmgr.dll

- Note: You also must select "y" at the prompt

3. Restart the PC and retry Windows Update

If the above command does not work, please try the following command:

Reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup

4. Restart the PC.

Now please try to install updates again. If the issue persists or the BITS cannot start, please feel free to let me know.

--------------------------------

I hope this will help someone else out there with the same problem.

Cheers,
Kim

Edited by Greenguru, 26 November 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#10 Greenguru

Greenguru

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

Hello,

This was the fix for my fresh install thanks so much  :thumbup:

And i have tried it on a box that's  running Xp sp3 for some time and it has given me a BITF error 1290; ox50a I have been going all over Google and it has lead me to this wonderful site just need little point in the right direction. :wall:  Thanks Greenguru

PS. I can manually do the update on xp, except Microsoft Security Essentials 

Edited by Greenguru, 26 November 2013 - 02:33 PM.