Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

HELP! "Restrictions" message

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Buck24

Buck24

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:47 PM

I recently had a Mal-Ware issue and had one of the guys in another forum on this site helped me out (ken545). He was very helpful and my issue was cleared up. However, I now get a "restrictions" message when I want to change certain things. After one of the changes I did, my background disappeared and was just plain blue...when I went to change it by right-clicking and selecting "properties", I get the message "Restrictions: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator". I could change it before, but why not now?? Also, for some reason, "Control Panel" doesn't show up when I click "Start" anymore...it was there before...and if I click "My Computer", then click "Add or remove programs" under "System Tasks", I get the same "Restrictions" error message.... Somethings messed up, but I don't know what it is! Please help!! Thanks in advance!!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Buck24

Buck24

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:27 AM

Got it fixed!! No help needed...thanks!

#3 cutchelow

cutchelow

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:14 PM

How did you resolve your "restrictions" issue? I'm having similar problems.

#4 Buck24

Buck24

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 01:06 PM

cutchelow... I did a "cut-and-paste" of the advice given me to fix the problem...here it is! I hope it helps you out... Buck you can try this also. Download FixPolicies to your Desktop, a self-extracting ZIP archive (Please ignore the warning about downloading .exe files, this file is safe) Double-click FixPolicies.exe Click the "Install" button on the bottom toolbar of the box that will open. The program will create a new Folder called FixPolicies. Double-click to Open the new Folder, and then double-click the file within: Fix_Policies.cmd. A black box will briefly appear and then close. Reboot and see how it is.

#5 Buck24

Buck24

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 01:08 PM

The "FixPolicies" is a program...I don't know how to transfer the link though. I'm sure if you do a Google search you can find it.... Good Luck!

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:28 PM

You can download fixpolicies.exe from here http://cid-6aaab341c...FixPolicies.exe

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#7 cutchelow

cutchelow

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:39 PM

Buck24, Thanks for the info on the FixPolicies program. Scotty helped me resolve my issue. I'll keep this in mind if I run into trouble again.

#8 Bill Castner

Bill Castner

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:03 PM

Glad someone found FixPolicies of benefit.

I wrote this because I was unhappy with the alternatives available at the time.
I went through hundreds of SmitFraud/Zlob, and Worm infections to find what keys were being used to block various parts of the user Control Panel and other crucial items. I still keep an active log, and about once a month I add new policy items as I discover them.

Enjoy,
Bill Castner
Users Helping Users
----------------------------------