Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Laptop Issue: Screen is blank, but computer is still on

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Maya

Maya

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:19 PM

Recently my sister has began to use my laptop and sadly, is allowed to do so as long as she conducts herself in a responcible manner. ( I apoligize for the grammatical errors, it's rather late and I happen to be sick and tired-literally-.) Anyway, she was using my laptop and then switched over to the computer when I came back home and now, it's not working. The laptop itself is running and the power light is lit, however the screen stays black and neither the caps or num-lock lights will light when the keys are pressed. I'm not sure what to do, though I suspect that the LCD screen needs to be replaced (although that seems to be an odd conclusion considering that the keys are not working properly. I have the feeling she stepped on it since that's how she broke the portable DVD player a couple of months ago, I assume that doesn't really matter though.). Please reply soon, and thanks ahead of tiome for any help I recieve! -Maya

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 kazzoo

kazzoo

Authentic Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:52 AM

Greetings Maya Welcome to WTT Sorry to hear about your troubles with your notebook. Because you have already observed that the num and cap lock keys dont light up, points to a internal problem with the Notebook. What you are probly hearing is the fans and drives spinning up because they have power applied to them. Dont be too hard on your Sister, Notebooks are famous for working one minute and not the next. Very much like lightbulbs that burn out. Well the light was working just a minute ago....Lightbulbs are replaceable. Sisters on the other hand are not..... The problem is that notebooks unlike most desktops are built all of one piece. There are really very few parts a normal owner can get at and replace. If your handy, things like the battery, memory, or harddrive can be done by the average person with a little research and the right tools. Main boards and screens are another matter. Usually the realm of computer shops and manufacturers. What to do? Depends on how much the laptop is worth to you. Local computer shop will charge a fee for diagnosis of the problem. Usually 60 to 70 bucks where I am from. You may get some help from the Manufacturer of the Laptop by using the free techsupport or forums they may provide. They may have a way for you to send the Laptop to them for diagnosis/Repair/estimate. If there is any Manufacturer warranty or Extended service plans you might be able to get a fix for it. Mind you though, if it was from accidental damage and needs extensive repair/replacement it could be more than what you paid for the Laptop. So with your diagnosis get a estimate of repair. It will really take some swapping of parts in and out of the machine to identify what has gone wrong, You might want to consider having any data removed from the harddrive that you want to save if you find out it costs to much to fix and move on to the next Laptop in your life. Regards Kaz.
Badgers? I dont need no stinking Badgers!