Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can't Find Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:37 PM

will do, cheers for the reminder :thumbup:

jp

Proud Graduate of the TC/WTT Classroom

At weekends (GMT) I may not be able to reply promptly due to various commitments. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Need help remembering those important computer maintenance tasks? Let SCars do it for you.

Posted Image

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:03 PM

Hi JP,

The following are resources that I am presently reading in hopes of finding a clue that applies for you:

ACER Aspire 5103WLMi Laptop

Google search for:
"No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected"
finds this interesting sequence:
http://forums.techgu...ss-issue-2.html

Network Diagnostics tool
http://www.microsoft...iagnostics.mspx
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#33 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:54 PM

No luck with the USB Wireless adpater :( Tempted to try a repair install, failing that I may have to send it back to Acer. Hope I can dig out the warranty...

At weekends (GMT) I may not be able to reply promptly due to various commitments. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Need help remembering those important computer maintenance tasks? Let SCars do it for you.

Posted Image

#34 Ax238

Ax238

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:58 PM

Hello jp,

Try the following:
To disable automatic wireless network configuration:
  • Open Network Connections
  • Right-click Wireless Network Connection, and then click Properties
  • On the Wireless Networks tab, clear the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" check box
  • Close out of all windows and restart your computer
More info: Microsoft Windows XP - Set up automatic wireless network configuration

Regards,

Ax

#35 jorlando

jorlando

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

I had the same problem, same network card and "almost" the same notebook: Acer Aspire 5102 wlmi

The problem started just after a driver update with the same simptoms:

- Wireless button in the notebook turned on
- Windows Zero Configuration service started
- A popup baloon on the taskbar informing that networks were in range
- Windows Zero Configuration could not find netorks in range error

Solution:

- start the eventlog service
- restart the Windows Zero Configuration service

Note: the eventlog service is NOT LISTED as dependence in Windows Zero Configuration service!

The Atheros driver installer, by some unknown reason, stops the eventlog service and changes it from "Automatic" to "Manual"
during the install and don't restart the service after finishing the install proccess.

Since the service was changed to "Manual" restarting the computer won't solve the problem, you must open the Administrative
Tools applet and open the Services tool, look for the eventlog entry and change it to Automatic and start it again. I restarted the
Windows Zero Configuration service too, but I don't know if it is really necessary.

I found the solution here:

http://www.velocityr...ange-error.html

Hope this helps

#36 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:00 AM

Hi Jorlando and welcome to the WTT forums. That sounds like a mighty fine fix to me. and thanks for sharing it with us.... Lets hope that it helps jpshortstuff to get his connection fixed. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#37 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:16 PM

Hey all :)

Coincidently, I just started to look at this problem again last week. I just came back here to post an update, didn't see this reply as I haven't been getting notifications.

Anyway, heres what happened.

As my warranty expires on the 9th of Jan, I rang Acer up last Friday. They advised me to use Acer's eManagement to do a 'System Recovery' - which basically formats the C:\ partition and re-installs Windows and some extra stuff reseting it to how it was straight out of the factory. This also leaves the D:\ partition to back up documents and stuff. This would enable me to see if it was Windows that was the problem.

I quickly encountered a flaw in this: It requires a password that you set when you first ran the program. I had absolutely no idea what mine was.

Luckily, Google and Linux had the answer. Google came up with the solution that if I did a live boot of Ubuntu from CD, I would be able to see a partition that was hidden from DOS/Windows. On this partition I would supposedly find a .dat file containing (in plain text) my Acer password.

I thought it was worth a shot, so went for it. While I was in Ubuntu, I quickly verified that it was indeed Windows that had the problem, as Ubuntu could see and connect to various networks. Found the drive, and the .dat file, and the user/tutorial or whatever it was wasn't lying, there was my password - in plain text.

Did this system recovery, spent a good few hours setting up everything again but I am happy to announce that I am now posting once again from my room, completely free of that restricting cable that I have gotten so used to.

So, I would like to offer my sincere gratitude to the members of the tech team for all their suggestions and support over this issue, you really spent time hunting for my solution. I am sorry I didn't see jorlando's solution sooner, might have saved me all this re-installing.

So, to Doug, tuxmaster, paws, Ax238 and jorlando - thank you all :)

It's good to know what help we have around here in the community when we need it.

Peace be with you,

jp

Posted Image

#38 annesjn

annesjn

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:21 AM

I had the exact same problem but on a DELL M20 with an Intel Pro Set wireless card. A couple googles later I found this post. I tried what jorlando said to do and it worked flawless. I still don't know what turned off the eventlog but it also affect the Symantec Anti-Virus. Thanks again jorlando!

#39 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:59 AM

Hi annesjn, That's good to hear that you got it fixed. and welcome to the WTT forums :welcome: Jorlando's fix seems to be helping lots of folks ,so thanks again Jorlando. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#40 Leonous

Leonous

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:02 AM

I had the same problem, same network card and "almost" the same notebook: Acer Aspire 5102 wlmi

The problem started just after a driver update with the same simptoms:

- Wireless button in the notebook turned on
- Windows Zero Configuration service started
- A popup baloon on the taskbar informing that networks were in range
- Windows Zero Configuration could not find netorks in range error

Solution:

- start the eventlog service
- restart the Windows Zero Configuration service

Note: the eventlog service is NOT LISTED as dependence in Windows Zero Configuration service!

The Atheros driver installer, by some unknown reason, stops the eventlog service and changes it from "Automatic" to "Manual"
during the install and don't restart the service after finishing the install proccess.

Since the service was changed to "Manual" restarting the computer won't solve the problem, you must open the Administrative
Tools applet and open the Services tool, look for the eventlog entry and change it to Automatic and start it again. I restarted the
Windows Zero Configuration service too, but I don't know if it is really necessary.

I found the solution here:

http://www.velocityr...ange-error.html

Hope this helps

your solution works for me too... thx for advice...

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#41 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:47 AM

Hi Leonous, That's good to hear that you got it fixed. and welcome to the WTT forums :welcome: Jorlando's fix seems to be helping lots of folks ,so thanks again Jorlando. Regards paws

#42 snowscraper

snowscraper

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

Remarkable. I spent days trying to figure out this problem on my 4 year-old ThinkPad T41. I was about to wipe clean and reinstall when I saw this and gave it a try. Worked beautifully. I had to reboot after restarting the eventlog svc but otherwise, worked great. Thanks to all.

#43 junkhauler

junkhauler

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

Hello ALL this string is ancient but I had this same problem on a Sony VAIO with the LAN-Express miniPCI Wireless card after a clean reinstall of XP Pro with SP2. I finally broke down and downloaded a thrid party program called WI-FI Manager ( an annoying trial version mind you). once it made the initial discovery of the wireless network, the Wireless Zero services picked up a nice array of existing networks. I then uninstalled the manager app and all is well in XP land once again the end. I hope this works for anyone who may have been at this problem for as long as I have or longer.

#44 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:29 AM

Hi snowscraper, I have only just spotted your post...so apologies for not replying earlier That's good to hear that you got it fixed. and welcome to the WTT forums Jorlando's fix seems to be helping lots of folks ,so thanks again Jorlando. Regards paws

#45 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:32 AM

Hi junkhauler, and welcome to the WTT forums. It was a different and interesting approach you took, and thanks for sharing it here with us. Good to hear that you got it fixed OK. Regards paws