Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can't Find Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:06 PM

Hi all

Thought I'd make use of our very own Tech forum.

Here's the problem:

Haven't had any problems with connecting to our wireless home network from my laptop before. Earlier, my dad changed the router password while I was still connected. This is what usually happens, and then I just attempt to connect, type in the new password and bingo.

This time however, whenever I search for wireless networks, I get:
"No wireless networks were found in range."

I do not understand this, no other settings were changed on our Router other than the password, and usually there's a whole host of other networks picked up anyway. I don't know whether something happened when the password was changed while I was still connected, but I find this unlikely, and usually that happens without any trouble.

I've tried disabling/re-enabling the network adapter. Turning a few things off and on again in the network settings, but I'm not great with networks, so I can't find or work out how to fix this issue.

Any help is much appreciated, I'm finding it hard to work with this Win98 PC at the moment, and I think my response times and analysis for my HJT logs are going to start suffering quite badly due to this.

Thanks in advance,

jpshortstuff

Proud Graduate of the TC/WTT Classroom

At weekends (GMT) I may not be able to reply promptly due to various commitments. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Need help remembering those important computer maintenance tasks? Let SCars do it for you.

Posted Image

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:25 PM

If you had previously detected multiple wireless networks within range, and don't now, it is your NIC and not the Router password change. Is there a wireless device listed in Network Connections? If so, you may be able to allow Windows to "Repair this Connection" (you may need to "enable connection" first) You may be able to notice elements in the Wireless Network Connections - Properties that have become disabled (like Tcpip) Re-checkmarking the item manually will cause your machine build a driver base, search and install the component again. Or Consider Uninstalling your NIC and completely Re-Installing it. (and yes, type in the new password) ______________ What?!!! You don't like my all-time favorite operating system. Didn't you like the dark ages?
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:42 PM

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your quick response.

Is there a wireless device listed in Network Connections?

If so, you may be able to allow Windows to "Repair this Connection"
(you may need to "enable connection" first)

I tried rightclicking on "Wireless Network Connection" (in Network Connections) and hitting "Repair", once or twice. Most recently, I get the error: Could not complete repair - Connection to wireless network failed.
Earlier I got past that stage but received an error on the "Renewing IP address" stage.

Another thing to note:
Strangely, whenever I log on, or change a network setting, a little bubble pops up from the Wireless Network icon in my System Tray, stating that:
"One or more wireless networks have been detected, click here to view them and connect to them".
But of course, when I do this, it just comes up saying that there are none in range.

What?!!! You don't like my all-time favorite operating system.
Didn't you like the dark ages?

hehe, I mentioned the OS only to signify the Computers age. The speed is quite limiting for my usual HJT research.

Thanks again, I may have a go at re-installing the NIC as you mentioned. I hope you don't need any resources from the original install or anything...
As you can tell, I'm not a techie...

Cheers,

jp

At weekends (GMT) I may not be able to reply promptly due to various commitments. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can.

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show appreciation and to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here Posted Image

Need help remembering those important computer maintenance tasks? Let SCars do it for you.

Posted Image

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:51 PM

Go find the NIC on the Internet and get the Drivers, then burn to disk or copy to memory stick. You "may" need it for the Install. (alternatively XP has alot of such drivers already available)

Edited by Doug, 25 October 2007 - 01:54 PM.

#5 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:01 PM

OK, I don't know if I did that right, or if that was the right device.

Went into Device Manager - Network adapters and uninstalled the Atheros wireless network adapter. Then, Action >> Scan for hardware changes. Bubble pops up saying found new hardware, installed itself and it was back. Still no luck.

Was that the right Device? Also did it with the Realtek Ethernet NIC just in case.

Thanks,

jp

Posted Image

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:15 PM

Start - Run - (type)cmd
this will bring up a DOS Box display with a blinking cursor

At the blinking cursor type the following commands in sequence, waiting for the procedures to complete before entering the next command:

ipconfig /release - enter <-- notice the required space before the "/"
ipconfig /renew - enter <-- notice the required space before the "/"
ipconfig /flushDNS - enter <-- notice the required space before the "/"

(Each of the above ipconfig steps may take from a few seconds to a minute or so to complete.
Wait for the blinking cursor to return before moving on to typing the next command.)

If the above does not remedy the problem, try this Next:
go here:
http://files.webatta...insockxpFix.exe
Download Winsockxpfix.exe to your Desktop

Run Winsockxpfix.exe

For additional information about Winsockfix.exe you may read, here:
The graphical presentation walks the user through the entire process.
http://www.iup.edu/h...net/winfix.shtm

#7 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:44 PM

Doug,

the release and renew switches both provided the same response:
No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its media disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.

flushDNS went down fine, but no luck with the connection.

WinsockXPFix completed successfully but after reboot still no luck.

Cheers,

jp

Posted Image

#8 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:01 PM

In Control Panel - Network Connections ---- Do you see your Wireless Network Connection? In the left-hand panel, is there a Selection for "Enable this Network Device"? If so, try it.

#9 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:07 PM

Theres this item:
Wireless Network Connection 3

It is enabled, theres a Disable this Network Device, and I have tried disabling and re-enabling it, without luck.

Thanks,

jp

Posted Image

#10 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:31 PM

There should also be an item in the left-hand column: "Change Settings of this connection"
Click on "Change Settings of this connection" to view : "Wireless Network Connectin Properties"
Items in the ""This connectin uses the following items:" should include:

Client for Microsoft Networks <--- Should be checkmark/ticked
(your brand-name) Wireless Connection Agent <--- Should be checkmark/ticked
File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks <--- doesn't matter
QoS Packet Scheduler <-- probably doesn't matter
AEGIS Protocol (IEEE.802.1z) v3.2.0.3 <--- Should be checkmark/ticked
WLAN Transport <--- Should be checkmark/ticked
Internet Protocol (PCP/IP) <--- Should be checkmark/ticked

At the top of this Panel, you will see Connect Using: "your brand-name Network Connection" ------- Configure
Let's not deal with "Configure" right now, but please tell us if the above items appear as predicted.

Next:
In left-hand Panel:
Click: View Status of this Connection <-- Report back this information, please

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

(your brand-name) Wireless Connection Agent <--- Should be checkmark/ticked
AEGIS Protocol (IEEE.802.1z) v3.2.0.3 <--- Should be checkmark/ticked
WLAN Transport <--- Should be checkmark/ticked
Internet Protocol (PCP/IP) <--- Should be checkmark/ticked

At the top of this Panel, you will see Connect Using: "your brand-name Network Connection" ------- Configure
Let's not deal with "Configure" right now, but please tell us if the above items appear as predicted.

Ok, my Wireless Connection Agent doesn't appear in that list, although it is in the box that says Connect Using:.
I don't have that AEGIS Protocol
My Internet Protocol entry says TCP/IP

Additional Items I have that you didn't mention:

Client Service for NetWare } I assume these are
VMware Bridge Protocol } both for VMware
NWLink NetBIOS
NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol

In left-hand Panel:
Click: View Status of this Connection <-- Report back this information, please

I can't see that item I'm afraid...

In left-hand Panel:
Click: View available wireless networks <-- Report back this information, please

Still nothing here, just says:
"No wireless networks were found in range"

Thanks,

jp

Posted Image

#12 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:24 PM

Please look in: Right-Click on My Computer - Properties - Select Hardware(tab) - Select - Device Manager(button) In Device Manager: What "Network Adapters" are listed. Any yellow or red warning signs? When you Right-Click on each item of the Network Adapters list: What Status is indicated?

#13 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:31 PM

Atheros AR 5005G Wireless Network Adapter
Realtek RTL8139/910x Family Ethernet NIC
as well as 2 VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapters

All apparently in working order and enabled.

Would a System Restore work, or is that unlikely to have any effect?

Cheers,

jp

Posted Image

#14 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:33 PM

Not sure about the System Restore, since the actual device driver may have become compromised. I've PM'd two other Techs who may possibly be able to look in on the situation. Please stand by.

#15 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:31 PM

JP,

Sorry this is not advancing as quickly as we would both prefer.
But we will persevere.

You may benefit from Removing Via Device Manager Uninstall: Atheros AR 5005G Wireless Network Adapter
Then make a fresh install of the Atheros Driver.

***BUT BEFORE WE EVEN CONSIDER SUCH ACTION***
Atheros makes it a point to NOT provide service and backup for this Device. Bummer.
They require that you get the Driver from the Manufacturer of the machine it is installed into.
Is your machine a Toshiba - Laptop? <-- just a wild and hopeful guess
Clearly, you will need either the Driver CD that came with the machine, or the CD specific to the Adapter, or a download of the Driver.

This is your Wireless Device: http://www.atheros.com/pt/AR5005G.htm
Apparently all Atheros devices run from the same backwards/forwards compatible driver.
But there may be driver differences based on the computer manufacturer of your machine.

The following is a link to a Driver Download page, that is provided by users-helping-users and it not therefore guaranteed the same way that a manufacturer site would more confidently provide the correct Driver.
http://www.softwared...05g_driver.html

Hopefully you have the Driver Installation CD from your machine?

And just a thought.... Since your machine also has Realtech Ethernet Device.... You should be able to connect to the internet with this machine via Ethernet wired connection, until you get your wireless setup restored.

Please let me know what Driver Resources you may have available.

Doug

To keep you posted---

One of the Techs that I consulted suggests this rather encyclopedic article over at Geeks To Go:
http://www.geekstogo...ng-t102163.html
I'm reading it too. :)

and the other Tech,
Will not be available until later this evening, but will look in on our work this evening.

Edited by Doug, 25 October 2007 - 05:35 PM.