Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Display Driver Not Responding?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bensmumma

bensmumma

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:10 PM

Several times today I've had the screen go black, then come back, and there's a little message at the bottom that says "display driver stopped responding and recovered itself". Is this a common error with windows vista? Is there a way to fix it? This pc is less than one week old! Thanks!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 wannabe1

wannabe1

GeekU Teacher

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Providing refurbished computers to worthy students whose families cannot afford to purchase them.<br /><br />Building and repairing computers.

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:45 AM

Hello bensmumma...

Yes, this IS a quite common problem with Vista. Microsoft recently released an update that is supposed to address this issue and it seems be be effective on most machines, but not all.

compatibility and reliability update

I hope this is effective on your platform.

Cheers,
wannabe1

Rule #1...When in doubt, do nothing...post back for clarification. Rule #2...Be Patient......I may be off researching your problem.
Rule #3...Remain Calm....stay focused on the task at hand. Rule #4...Remember that we are all volunteers here.

MURPHEY'S LAW: Anything that can go wr...+\#&\% Bus Error -- Core Dumped

#3 bensmumma

bensmumma

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:14 AM

THANK you. I've done it and will let you know how things go over the next few days! :)

#4 bensmumma

bensmumma

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:07 AM

Hmmm, I still seem to have the problem, not as often though...

#5 wannabe1

wannabe1

GeekU Teacher

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Providing refurbished computers to worthy students whose families cannot afford to purchase them.<br /><br />Building and repairing computers.

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:44 AM

Do you have the most recent drivers for your video card installed? That is the most common cause of the problem.

Rule #1...When in doubt, do nothing...post back for clarification. Rule #2...Be Patient......I may be off researching your problem.
Rule #3...Remain Calm....stay focused on the task at hand. Rule #4...Remember that we are all volunteers here.

#6 bensmumma

bensmumma

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:47 AM

I did attempt to update the driver, they're up to date, thanks for that suggestion. I'll try anything... it's driving me crazy!

#7 wannabe1

wannabe1

GeekU Teacher

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:54 AM

Does the problem seem to be initiated by any specific action? Are you using Dreamscenes as your desktop background? I have three machines running Vista at the moment...two Ultimate and one Home Premium. All three machines initially showed this problem and I applied the above patch to all three. Doing that resolved the problem on one Ultimate machine and the Home Premium machine...the other is still having the problem and nothing I've done has changed it a bit. It seems to happen more frequently when running more intensive graphics or if I have the Dreamscene desktop running. I fear we may have to wait and see if Microsoft releases another patch for the issue...and that may not be until they release SP1 for Vista early next year. I'll continue to search for the elusive cure for this...it drives me crazy, too. ;)

#8 bensmumma

bensmumma

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:41 PM

Sadly, all I pretty much do is surf the net, I've been running firefox each time it's happened, but I don't really do much else ;) I did have an issue once, when it went to sleep at night, when I couldn't wake it up again. I don't know if that's related. So far today it's only happened once! I could live with that I suppose. Let's hope microsoft does figure it out!

#9 nvlddmkm PWND

nvlddmkm PWND

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:51 AM

fixed the problem on my laptop. go to nvidia control panel, manage 3d settings, global settings, power management mode, and prefer maximum performance. error free for weeks :). spread the word. not sure if this works on desktops but it def works on my laptop. (the display drivers would stop responding when running a low GPU required program like VLC player but work fine in games) changing this setting will make it so that u dont run basic graphix card required programs at the lowest performance rate (error causing rate) and avoid it all together. enjoy

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:27 PM

nvlddmkm PWND, not sure if you realize it or not, but you just responded to a 2 1/2 year old thread. Not a problem, just thought I'd mention it.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#11 nvlddmkm PWND

nvlddmkm PWND

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:42 AM

aw, well i was so happy to fix it i wanted to share it w/ all the ppl i know are as aggravated as i was. so i googled it and posted on tons of forums to share the wealth. ive had the problem for a year and a half :). o well

#12 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

Who knows, it may help someone else later on.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown