Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Too Bright White Background

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lilybell

lilybell

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:18 AM

The white background on websites such as Google looks extremely bright on my Fujitsu laptop and it's giving me a headache. I've adjusted the settings on my NVIDIA control panel and the F6 button's brightness control but it looks the same. Is there another solution? I don't have a problem with this on desktop computers.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:41 AM

Hi,
Sorry to hear of the problem with the "glare" from your laptop.
Here's a site that gives some answers:

http://en.allexperts...-brightness.htm

1 On the laptop I'm using at the moment (Time) I can alter the brightness/contrast/glare from my screen by holding down the Function key, whilst pressing F6 to decrease or F7 to increase. You may have to hunt around for the key combinations to press on your laptop, but it will probably have a label that looks like a circle or a sun on it. If all else fails and you can't find the laptop manual (that will give you full instructions on how to do it,) locate the manual on the Fujitsu website and download a copy.
2 Altering the settings on your video card/monitor is another way so please recheck these as it may be you are doing something wrong, for example if the F6 key is not responding...are you holding down Function Key or equivilant? this is, most often, essential for the F6/7 key to work.
3 After you have tried all the settings there, and if you are still having problems then please see step 4:
4 You can use an external monitor from say a desktop computer it usually just plugs into your laptop (see your manual for full instructions)
5 You can buy an anti glare shield that clips onto your screen for a few pounds/dollars (these were very popular on machines used in offices a few years ago but seem to have gone out of favour recently) so maybe someone you know instead of throwing all their office anti glare shields away can be persuaded to throw one your way.
6 As your machine is a laptop you will often find that by using it on battery power rather than mains electricity, the screen will be less bright as an auto-power utility may cut in
and reduce brightness to make the battery last as long as possible before recharge is needed.
7 Check power settings via control panel to see if you can alter this manually and reduce brightness/contrast
8 Some laptops come with a utility that lets you alter the brightness of the screen but it's not installed by default.... you are expected to find it yourself, or download it from the manufacturers website.
9 Windows accessibility has functions to control screen contrast (often used to great benefit by folks with a degree of visual impairment) and if one of these settings has become altered it might make the screen seem to "glare" to a person with normal visual acuity
To access these click on Start>Control Panel>Accessibility options
to check other settings you need to go to:
Start>Control Panel>Display
and:
Start>Control Panel>Power Options (and make sure your settings are correct.)

I hope some of the ideas will help you, but please post back if you are still having trouble and we will see what else can be done to help.
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 lilybell

lilybell

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:59 AM

That's a great link. Thanks, Paws. I decided to get an anti-glare shield. The clerk at the store recommended the privacy filter from 3M which I thought was weird because it won't really cut down the glare, right? Or will it? She insisted it's better than the lesser known brands in the store.

Edited by lilybell, 03 July 2007 - 06:02 AM.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:49 PM

Hi lilybell, You're more than welcome. I've not tried the privacy screen myself so can't really help, but I have tried the ordinary anti glare shields and they work fine( for me anyway!) Perhaps you can you ask the store to demo one for you? Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 lilybell

lilybell

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:10 AM

They refused to do a demo and were very pushy over 3M. I think an ordinary shield will be best for me. Thanks again Paws!