Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Desktop wallpaper is not showing up

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Nimsha

Nimsha

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:27 PM

Okay, I am not sure how I got this problem, it might just be out of stupidity + mistakes, but I don't know how to fix it. My wallpaper does not display an image, only a color I can set it to. When I select desktop properties from right clicking it OR Control Panel, everything on the window works except for the list of all the available wallpapers. For example, if I try to scroll the list up and down, it is locked to the bottom of the list, and I cannot select anything. Is there a way I can fix this?
The help you receive at TomCoyote.org is free.
If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate or buy something from the store to help keep TomCoyote.org online.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:35 AM

Are you running as "Active Desktop"? Do you have spywareguard from Javacoolsoftware, installed on your machine? Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Nimsha

Nimsha

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:36 AM

What is Active Desktop? Pardon, I am a noob.
If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate or buy something from the store to help keep TomCoyote.org online.

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:53 AM

Right-Click on any empty space of your DeskTop. in the list that appears, is Active Desktop present? If it is, select it, then Uncheck the item "view as Webpage"

#5 Nimsha

Nimsha

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:55 AM

When I right click an empty space on my Desktop, I do not see "Active Desktop"

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:59 AM

and spywareguard? Do you have it installed?

#7 Nimsha

Nimsha

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:01 AM

I use Windows Defender o.O

#8 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:06 AM

OK... I'll have to think a little harder. What Operating System are you using? XP? if yes, Home or Pro?

#9 Nimsha

Nimsha

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:07 AM

I'm going to be sleeping now, it's a minute past midnight. But anyways, I use Windows XP Pro, with SP2 installed.

#10 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:12 AM

Happy New Year. We'll be here in the morning too. Best Regards

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Nimsha

Nimsha

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 11:09 AM

Okay, the problem started a few days ago, I'm estimating 5 days ago. At that day I wasn't doing anything on my computer other than playing a game called Gunz for a few minutes at random times of the day. All of a sudden, my desktop turned dark blue. I tried to change it, and there were problems(read the first post I made up there). My wallpaper only shows up when I return from standby, or switch to standby mode. Then, once the desktop contents and the bar load up, the desktop switches back to the color that I have the option of setting to. Post-script: If this information could be of any help: I keep my MSN, AIM, and GTalk on 24/7. I don't think this has caused any problems in the past.

Edited by Nimsha, 01 January 2007 - 11:13 AM.

#12 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

Hi Nimsha, Will you please "Create a New User Account". Then tell us whether or not you have control of the Desktop Wallpaper in that logon account. Best Regards

#13 Nimsha

Nimsha

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 05:26 PM

It is only this user account with that wallpaper problem.

#14 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 06:41 PM

That's good news. Now what I have to offer next may sound "lame" to you, but it is a solution. Please understand that it is quite possible that we could work on this problem for quite some time, and still not get it fixed. But since you are able to create another logon account or use another existing account, it would be a straight-forward procedure for you to copy/paste any important documents and files from this account into a new account that you could then name with your preferred logon account name. Since programs and applications are installed on the "local machine" and not exclusively on one "user logon account", you will be able to create the desired Desktop short-cut Icons and startup procedures for your desired software applications in your new user account. Once you are comfortable with your new logon account and have it set up the way you like it, you can Delete this currently problematic user logon account. Hope this plan gives you an avenue of attack that works for you. Best Regards

#15 Nimsha

Nimsha

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:25 PM

It actually is lame, but I will do it anyways since you reccommend it. Although, only one thing troubles me, and that is how I got this problem in the first place, and what the problem is identified as.

Edited by Nimsha, 01 January 2007 - 10:25 PM.