Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

computer restarts when i turn it on

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 shan92

shan92

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Games, Movies, Music and helping people keep their machines clean, updated, firewalled and with up to date anti-virus protection

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:26 AM

Hi, whenever I turn on my computer, when the WindowsXP loading starts, suddenly my computer restarts! after about 5-10 restarts, it finally loads properly. As far as my security is concerned, Im using McAfee anti-virus (with updated definitions) and Ad-Aware. I scanned many times and turns out tht my PC is clean. :scratch: I think someone has hacked my PC or somethin... :rant2:

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:25 PM

Automatic rebooting when the machine is started, is sometimes related to hardware failure, and sometimes specifically to overheating. Turn off the machine, unplug the power cord, discharge any remaining electric charge by holding in the "power button" on the front of your machine (for about 10 seconds, after you've disconnected the power cord) Open up the side of your tower Case. Visually inspect the Fans, heatsink blades of CPU and any on PCI/AGP cards, such as your Video Card. You're looking for dirt and dust that may be inhibiting the cooling process. Be careful of "touching" anything inside your case, as static charge from your own body can be damaging to your machines components. You can purchase a Static grounding bracelet or simply touch some bare metal portion inside the case periodically to keep your body's static discharged. (try to not shuffle your feet) If you find dirt and dust built up, then go get a can of compressed air from any office supply store to blow out the dust bunnies. Do not attempt to use a cloth or brush to wipe or brush components inside your tower case. While you have the case open for inspection, check on the various IDE ribbon connectors and power connectors to assure that they are all firmly seated. Also check to assure that RAM sticks and PCI/AGP cards are firmly seated. After you have cleaned out dirt, and before closing the case, reconnect the power cord and "briefly" power on you machine. During the brief power on, inspect the Heatsink Fan and other case fans to assure that they are spinning freely and vigorously. ________________ Do you get an Error Message when this problem occurs? If so, please supply the exact Error Message. How about "beeps" or continuous tones? Automatic Rebooting when the machine is started, is also sometimes related to corruption of Operating system files, and somtimes related to "faults" on the boot Hard Drive. Are you able to boot into SAFE Mode? (by continuously "tapping" F8 key during boot) If tapping F8 does successfully produce the Boot Menu, what selections are available to you? Try booting into SAFE Mode and run your System File Checker to do so from SAFE Mode: Click - START - RUN - (type)sfc /scannow - enter Allow SFC to scan your operating system and replace any identified missing or corrupt system files. If all of the above does not improve your situation, then we will be moving on to possible CHECKDISK procedures from your Control Console. Please keep us posted with your progress. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 shan92

shan92

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Games, Movies, Music and helping people keep their machines clean, updated, firewalled and with up to date anti-virus protection

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:46 PM

hmm...... I blew up all the dust in my cpu, checked all the other stuff....and I tried the sfc /scannow command but still it auto-reboots. I tried booting into safemode and I couldnt. The comp restarts. abt the errors. After 9-11 restarts, my comp finally loads and sometimes I get this message: "one of the file containing the system's registry data had to be removed by the use if a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful" and sometimes I get an error. It says that windows failed to initialize. and then there is some sort of a code....something like "stop 0x0000001"

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:55 PM

Have a read, here:

http://support.micro...b/161703/EN-US/

Next:
Please run the Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register, create a password, accept the safe ActiveX, Run the Full Tests.
When you get the Results, copy/paste the TechExpress link information back into this thread.

Best Regards

#5 shan92

shan92

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:45 AM

sorry for the delay....I was busy with exams.

anywayz, here's the link for my result:
http://www.pcpitstop...DFNPWXZT0JS04PC

#6 shan92

shan92

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:47 AM

by the way, I installed "regcure" and fixed all the errors. and now it reboots 2-3 times only.

#7 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:49 AM

Hi Shan92, Did you install Windows XP Pro with SP2 yourself, on October 1, 2006? Does your Win XP Pro Installation CD have SP2 incorporated on it, or did you install SP2 separately? When completing this Operating System Installation.... Was DirectX 9.0c installed? Were the Chipset Drivers Installed? (most recent version from ASUS)

#8 shan92

shan92

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:53 AM

No I didnt install SP2 separately. I've got a CD of Windows XP with SP2. I dont exactly remember the date when i installed it but I think its 1st October. I actually re-installed windows to stop this auto-rebotting. well...I didnot install DirectX 9.0c. Its not even in my 'installed programs list' yea and the chipset drivers were installed. ----------------------------------

#9 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:58 AM

You may be encountering a feature of Windows XP's Startup and Recovery system. By default, this system specifically configures Windows XP to automatically restart itself after encountering a system failure error.

These system failure errors are usually isolated and occur randomly. As such, the best way for the operating system to deal with them is to automatically restart.
However, you can disable the automatic restart behavior. Follow these steps:

Go to Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup&Recovery(Settings).
In the System Failure section, De-Select the Automatically Restart check box, and click OK.
To enable the changes, click OK in the System Properties dialog box.
This change configures the system to halt after encountering a system failure error, which allows you to investigate the problem error in more detail. You will then have to manually restart the system.

Now when the Operating System encounters a problem that would have caused it to reboot, it will instead display a BSOD (the dreaded - Blue Screen of Death) This is useful because you will be able to read the actual Error Message that details the Error that was encountered.

After you have completed the above routine, reboot your machine.
If you encounter the Error that has been causing the repeated rebooting, your machine will stop and display a BSOD with details of the Error encountered.

Please write down the Error message (carefully copy the exact message) or take a Screen Shot if you are able.

Post the exact Error Message or post the Screen Shot of the message.

Quite often, the Error Message will relate to a Hardware problem.
The problem may be a faulty Hardware.
The problem may be a faulty Hardware Driver.
You may be able to fix a faulty Hardware Driver via Device Manager - Remove (Driver) -
Then Reboot and allow Windows to "Find New Hardware" and "Install Driver for new Hardware)
_________________________________________________________________________________

You can try:
Install DirectX 9.0c
Reinstall Chipset Drivers (from your motherboard's manufacturer's Website)
Trouble-Shoot Driver problems via Device Manager

If the owner/operator is having unexplained problems with drivers in Device Manager and less radical uninstall-re-install of specific drivers doesn't help, then try a full reformat/reinstall again using the above "order of actions".

Format Hard Drive (or if you have Partitions, Format only C:\)
install Operating System
(if XP) install DirectX 9.0c
Install Motherboard Chipset Drivers
Install other PCI drivers (NIC,Modem, Sound)
Install Peripheral Drivers (scanner, printer, enhanced keyboard)
Install Security Baseline utilities (antivirus, antispyware, firewall)
Install Application software (MS Office, games, image viewers/editors, etc.)

Edited by dough, 14 October 2006 - 12:01 PM.

#10 shan92

shan92

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:26 AM

I de-selected the automatic restart check box and turned off my comp. After about 3 hours I turned on my PC and surprisingly....no auto-reboot and no blue screen! when everything loaded perfectly, i got this error:

nwiz.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point SheliExecuteA could not be located in the dymanic link library SHELL32.Dll

and Ive formatted my C drive a lot of times but tht doesnt help.

well I dont know much abt chipset drivers....

http://www.driversco...S333-FX&By=ASUS
here's the link of the drivers but i dont knw which 1 to download.
and where can i install directX frm?

-----------------------------------

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:39 PM

Hi Shan92,

Now that you can boot into Normal Mode reliably (even though you're getting the nwiz.exe -- shell32.dll error) you can attempt to repair SHELL32.Dll by using System File Checker with you XP installation CD inserted (but not running) in your CD-ROM.

Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow <---- please note the space between "c" and "/"

Since your most recent installation of XP Pro, have you gone to Microsoft Updates to download/install the updated critical updates and patches? Doing so may also fix the above problem. Go to Microsoft Updates and Select "Express" update

Download and install DirectX 9.0c from this Microsoft site:
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Here's how to Identify your ASUS Chipset Drivers:
http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

Your Product is MotherBoard
Your Socket is 478
Your Model is P4S333FX

Or just use the [Auto-Detect] button on that website (safer)
"This function will auto direct you to Driver's download page."

When you download the Drivers..........
Select for Windows XP

Download and install the drivers for: P4S333-FX

AUDIO <--- yes, download and install

BIOS *** <--- Leave this one alone! Do not download or install

BIOS-Utilities *** <--- Leave this one alone! Do not download or install

IDE <--- yes, download and install

LAN <--- yes, download and install

Manual <--- Download at your option if you want to do some reading

VGA <--- yes, download and install

_____________________________________________________________________________________

It may help to Uninstall and then Install the latest nVidia Video Card Driver for your NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE

Download site:
http://www.nvidia.co...k_91.31_uk.html
Download and Save to a New Folder on your Hard Drive (make it an easy location that you can find later)

Uninstall the Current Driver via Add/Remove
Then install the new Video Driver from your downloaded/Saved nVidia Driver

It would still probably be best to "disable" nwiz.exe from MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab) even after updating the Video Driver.

Edited by dough, 15 October 2006 - 01:57 PM.

#12 shan92

shan92

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:52 PM

Hi, In the add/remove programs, I dont see windowsXP SP2. I disabled nwiz.exe frm the msconfig. I downloaded and installed all the drivers u told me but there is a prob with one of them. I think its the audio driver. the folder name is s71216xp and it contains 5 files: A3D.DLL SIS7012.CAT SIS7012.INF SIS7012.SYS UNINST2K.EXE like where the hell is the setup!? :S I already downloaded and installed my Nvidia Graphics card's driver. (the latest version...91.31) I already tried the sfc command when u told me earlier, but still Ill try it again. thanks ------------------

#13 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

Hi Shan92, It's a good thing that SP2 does not show up in the Add/Remove listings. If it had, it could have meant that SP2 did not fully install. As it is, it should mean that SP2 is fine. Installing the audio Chipset... Use Control Panel - Add/Remove - Add New Programs Click the CD or Floppy Button Follow the Wizard that pops up. The Wizard will look for but not find a CD or Floppy and then will revert to "Browse" Using Browse, navigate to where you have the audeo Chipset Drivers saved. Highlight the ---.inf file, which will be the one that should allow Add Program Files to continue the installation. (SIS7012.INF) Alternatively...... If you are already experiencing good audeo performance with no problems, you can just skip installing this item. If problems are encountered later, you can always go back and install it. Let us know what SFC does. You might have to sit in front of the Monitor for the 20 minutes that it takes to complete the SFC scan, in order to "notice" if SFC detects any missing or corrupt OS files and takes action to replace them. SFC does make a log report, but doesn't always automatically display the report at the end of its run. SFC "may" record a log in Event Viewer Event Viewer... Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer look for recent items in either Application or System ( I don't know which one) Best Regards

#14 shan92

shan92

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:09 PM

I tried installing the audio driver. First of I could not see the .INF file until i set the "files of type" to All Files. I highlighted the file and clicked on next. It just opened the file in notepad. I mean thts it??? I dont think it is installed... :s

#15 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:19 PM

did you use the wizard in Control Panel - Add/Remove - Add Programs - CD or Floppy