SmitfraudFix by S!Ri
This tool removes Desktop Hijack malware: AdwarePunisher, AdwareSheriff, AlphaCleaner, Antispyware Soldier, AntiVermeans, AntiVermins, AntiVerminser, AntivirusGolden, AVGold, BraveSentry, MalwareWipe, MalwareWiped, MalwaresWipeds, MalwareWipePro, MalwareWiper, PestCapture, PestTrap, PSGuard, quicknavigate.com, Registry Cleaner, Security iGuard, Smitfraud, SpyAxe, SpyCrush, SpyDown, SpyFalcon, SpyGuard, SpyHeal, SpyHeals, SpyLocked, SpyMarshal, SpySheriff, SpySoldier, Spyware Vanisher, Spyware Soft Stop, SpywareLocked, SpywareQuake, SpywareKnight, SpywareSheriff, SpywareStrike, Startsearches.net, TitanShield Antispyware, Trust Cleaner, UpdateSearches.com, Virtual Maid, VirusBlast, VirusBurst, Win32.puper, WinHound, Brain Codec, DirectVideo, EliteCodec, eMedia Codec, FreeVideo, Gold Codec, HQ Codec, iCodecPack, iMediaCodec, Image ActiveX Object, IntCodec, iVideoCodec, JPEG Encoder, Key Generator, Media-Codec, MediaCodec, MMediaCodec, MovieCommander, MPCODEC, My Pass Generator, PCODEC, Perfect Codec, PowerCodec, PornPass Manager, PornMag Pass, PrivateVideo, QualityCodec, Silver Codec, SiteEntry, SiteTicket, SoftCodec, strCodec, Super Codec, TrueCodec, VideoAccess, VideoBox, VidCodecs, Video Access ActiveX Object, Video ActiveX Object, VideoCompressionCodec, VideoKeyCodec, VideosCodec, VirusRay, WinAntiSpyPro, WinMediaCodec, X Password Generator, X Password Manager, ZipCodec... ...
Only for Windows XP and Windows 2000
Hello and welcome to the WhatTheTech Forum's .
Use at your own risk: WhatTheTech forum's, does not take responsibility for any outcome of following these directions. Every computer is different, so we cannot guarantee the outcome. If you are apprehensive, please post the scan results in the designated forum and let us take a look and guide you to a clean system.
This is a "self help" to remove the infections on Windows 2000 and all XP versions ONLY.
Keep in mind this infection can be accompanied by other infections as well. We strongly suggest you Register after running this fix and posting the scan results for one of the pro's to check over.
Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.
Download SmitfraudFix (by S!Ri) to your Desktop.
Extract all the files to your Destop. A folder named SmitfraudFix will be created on your Desktop.
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
- Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
- If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
- Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
- When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
- Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected .
- When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
- Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.
- Note: If you receive a notice that some of the items couldn't be removed, that they have been added to the delete on reboot list, please reboot.
Open the SmitfraudFix folder and double-click smitfraudfix.cmd
Select option #1 - Search by typing 1 and press Enter
This program will scan large amounts of files on your computer for known patterns so please be patient while it works. It will create a file named: c:\rapport.txt
We suggest you stop at this point and post the c:\rapport.txt scan results.
IMPORTANT: Do NOT run any other options until you are asked to do so!
Note : process.exe is detected by some antivirus programs (AntiVir, Dr.Web, Kaspersky) as a "RiskTool"; it is not a virus, but a program used to stop system processes. Antivirus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert the user.
Running the Clean
Warning: running option #2 on a non infected computer will remove your Desktop background.
Please print out or copy these instructions/tutorial to Notepad as the internet will not be (while in Safe Mode) available to you at certain points of the removal process. Make sure to work through all the Steps in the exact order in which they are listed below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before moving on with the fixes.
Reboot your computer in Safe Mode.
- If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power.
- Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
- Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
- Ensure that the Safe Mode option is selected.
- Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
- Login on your usual account.
Open the SmitfraudFix Folder, then double-click smitfraudfix.cmd file to start the tool.
Select option #2 - Clean by typing 2 and press Enter.
Wait for the tool to complete and disk cleanup to finish.
You will be prompted : "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry ?" answer Yes by typing Y and hit Enter.
The tool will also check if wininet.dll is infected. If a clean version is found, you will be prompted to replace wininet.dll. Answer Yes to the question "Replace infected file ?" by typing Y and hit Enter.
A reboot may be needed to finish the cleaning process, if you computer does not restart automatically please do it yourself manually. Reboot in Safe Mode.
The tool will create a log named rapport.txt in the root of your drive, eg: Local Disk C: or partition where your operating system is installed. Please post that log along with all others requested in your next reply.
Clean out your Temporary Internet files. Proceed like this:
- Quit Internet Explorer and quit any instances of Windows Explorer.
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet Options.
- On the General tab, click Delete Files under Temporary Internet Files.
- In the Delete Files dialog box, tick the Delete all offline content check box , and then click OK.
- On the General tab, click Delete Cookies under Temporary Internet Files, and then click OK.
- Click on the Programs tab then click the Reset Web Settings button. Click Apply then OK.
- Click OK.
Empty the Recycle Bin by right-clicking the Recycle Bin icon on your Desktop, and then clicking Empty Recycle Bin.
Open the SmitfraudFix folder and double-click smitfraudfix.cmd
Select option #3 - Delete Trusted zone by typing 3 and press Enter
Answer Yes to the question "Restore Trusted Zone ?" by typing
Y and hit Enter.
Note, if you use SpywareBlaster and/or IE-SPYAD, it will be necessary to re-install the protection both afford. For SpywareBlaster, run the program and re-protect all items. For IE-SPYAD, run the batch file and reinstall the protection.
Please create a new Topic and post the requested items.
- Results from Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware scan
Edited by LDTate, 23 August 2009 - 10:28 AM.