Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome Guest to What the Tech - Register now for FREE

We specialize in the removal of malicious software (malware), but here you'll find free help and support for all your tech questions. We invite you to ask questions, share experiences, and learn. Explore our message boards, or register now to post messages of your own. Please Start Here. Register today (registration removes advertising)

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

i've been refered here by the tech at the other forum

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jtech

jtech

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:28 AM

thanks hjt for coaching me to cleaning the malware. the tech that helped me, ken545 was most helpful. he refered me to this....
http://forums.tomcoy...hp?showforum=83
for futher assistance with the system problems, hope i'm in the right place. problems include no active function for windows update (can get to page but nothing after that, idle), blank (white) screen for hotmail page, no active function for windows file search (can get to page but nothing after that, idle), windows media player shows 'internal application error has occured' when prompted and will not load, windows restore is not operatable, cannot create a new system restore point, yahoo mail will not delete mail or check for new mail unless i click 'inbox', yahoo messanger will not post text, incoming or outgoing. i'm hoping someone can help find a solution without having to format, thanks, Randy

Advertisement

Register to Remove

#2 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 56,595 posts
  • MVP

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:33 AM

Hello jtech, welcome to the TC forum.

Please go here, and follow the posted instruction on posting a HijackThis log. Someone will help you in order of the other HJT logs.
http://forums.tomcoy...hp?showforum=27

#3 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:17 AM

I found jtech's log LDtate, however, unfortunately, this ones a "tuffy"

I had trouble getting rid of norton antivirus so i got into the registry and may have made things even worse. spy bot s&d removed several viruses but i'm at a loss as to fixing the mess, no text in yahoo messenger, no delete function in yahoo mail, blank screen for hotmail, no conection to windows update, no options for windows search(from the start menu,,, which also includes windows media player not functioning, these are the things i've found so far, could be more

Yahoo is, as is Hotmail, a webmail. So your email problems are stemming from Outlook. I also read that ran SFC is that correct? If so, and it didnt fix anything, the only other option may be to manually copy the files you need from the cd. That, however, is a tough task at best. You have to know which files you need, were to find them on the cd and were they go on the harddrive.

You might try this. You can use the repair console by booting with the Windows installation cd. When it asks "Press Any Key to Boot From CD".. do so. Navigate as if you were installing a fresh copy of Windows. The first Window/Menu you will get will ask you if you want to repair another installation of Windows, this is NOT the one you want. You want to keep navigating your way as if to install a new version of Windows. You should get this option again, to repair another version of Windows. If you get to the "Partitioning and Formatting" then the "Automatic Repair" is not an option. DO NOT CONTINUE this process as it will wipe everything clean and you will more than likely loose your data. It will give you the option to "Quit By Pressing F3". However, if you do get the option to repair one more time, then THIS is the time to choose to repair. Windows will repair itself automatically.

#4 jtech

jtech

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:59 AM

hi and thanks crow, i'll print off your instructions for using the install disc to repair automaticly. am sure i would never get the files navigated manually. i'll let ya know how it goes. thanks again, randy

Advertisement

Register to Remove