Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

system32\config\systemprofile

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RobMaddin

RobMaddin

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 09:40 PM

Can anyone please tell me what would happen if I deleted the systemprofile folder?

C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile

Thanks.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Bold_Fortune

Bold_Fortune

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:25 AM

I bumped into your question while searching Google for something. Hope this helps give you some insight to the systemprofile folder, and what will happen should you decide to delete it.

Also, you can click on the links in my signature for more inormation about files and folder in XP...and what will happen if you delete them.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile
I delete the systemprofile folder and all its contents.

The systemprofile folder contains a standard profile for the local system.

I've found it best for a clean deletion to delete the systemprofile folder in safemode.

The systemprofile folder is one of those weird folders. With one XP installation, you can delete the systemprofile folder. With another XP installation, you can't delete the systemprofile folder.

If you are on a Dialup Connection, you probably won't be able to delete the systemprofile folder. When I was on Cable, it was a hit and a miss whether or not I could remove it. I currently have a DSL Connection, and I can remove it no problem.

If you are lucky enough to be able to remove the systemprofile folder and its contents, you will discover that it is recreated when visiting Windows Update.

Only now, it is created as a zero-length folder. Inside it will be a subfolder, Application Data. Inside the Application Data folder is a subfolder, Microsoft. And inside the Microsoft folder is an empty folder, SystemCertificates.

Once recreated by Windows Update, the systemprofile folder cannot now be deleted without first rebooting your machine.

Myself, I configure a Temp File Cleaner to remove the systemprofile folder and its subfolders after a reboot, along with other persistant folders and files.

Edited by Bold_Fortune, 14 September 2005 - 09:26 AM.

#3 RobMaddin

RobMaddin

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 01:47 PM

BoldFortune,,

Thank-You very much for your insight and your time.
It is greatly appreciated. Great advice.

Thanks again,
Rob