Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Linux vs. Windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Roberts

Roberts

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 08:04 AM

I just heard that the IE has 56 ports open and the Firefox only 3 ports open. I also heard that most viruses and popups are written for Microsoft Windows and that Linux is pretty much safe even from Trojan, worms or spyware. I bought the new Linux (4 cd's) that came with 100 page installation guide booklet, commands etc. and I was thinking of trying out the Linux on my computer. I would like to hear on anything on Linux vs. Microsoft so that I can make up my mind which one is better for me. I am also trying to learn how to install DNS and DHCP on Linux and if anyone knows of simple crystal clear tutorials, both in text form and Graphical please let me know or post a link. Thank you Roberts :scratch:

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 maynard

maynard

advanced

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:54 AM

Hi Roberts. It is true that most malware is written for windows. That doesn't mean that it can't be safe. I have never had a problem on my machine with any sort of badguy. On the other hand, just because there are few, if any Linux viruses doesn't mean that you don't have to worry about security. A good way to see if Linux is for you is to download a live CD like Knoppix, or the SuSe live evaluation CD. You can then play around to your hearts content and just reboot and eject the CD when you are done. As far as DNS and DHCP go, I have never used them in Linux so can't help you there. m
Don't Panic

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

#3 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:38 PM

hi Roberts,

i agree with maynard. a windows computer >can< be secure. the malware coders are counting on the people that dont practice, know, care or use apps/features to secure there own computers.

i created a small 2nd partiton on my HD, then installed Mandrake on it. can boot into linux or windows at startup. i tend to use both. there are some apps i need windows for.
mandrake was very easy to install. updating and installing software is alot different in linux so is the file structure.

BeatrIX linux runs entirely from the bootable CD.
http://www.watsky.net/

Linux iso images:

http://www.linuxiso.org/
How Can I Reduce My Risk?

#4 riverwind

riverwind

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:06 PM

Having played around with Linux for several months I can tell you that it all depends on what you are using it for seeing as how there are hardly if any retail programs made for Linux. I would take the advise of the previous post and get a live cd to figure out if Linux is for you.

#5 wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:05 PM

Having played around with Linux for several months I can tell you that it all depends on what you are using it for seeing as how there are hardly if any retail programs made for Linux. I would take the advise of the previous post and get a live cd to figure out if Linux is for you.

I agree, there are many different versions of linux and it all depends what you are wanting to do with it.

If you are just starting out I would have a look at Mandriva which has a nice interface and is rather easy to get around with and as far as internet is concerned I highly doubt you will have any questions here :)

You maybe thinking is it easy to install fresh? it couldn't be easier, all you need to do is put your live cd in and boot off it and load into Linux then you can install it from there and doesn't take long at all :)
wizzy