Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome Guest to What the Tech - Register now for FREE

We specialize in the removal of malicious software (malware), but here you'll find free help and support for all your tech questions. We invite you to ask questions, share experiences, and learn. Explore our message boards, or register now to post messages of your own. Please Start Here. Register today (registration removes advertising)

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

Sound Card Disappeared

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TeriB

TeriB

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:37 PM

Hello, if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I have Windows 98se with an onboard audio -Intel 82801AA I/O Controller Hub - AC'97 Audio Adapter. Not sure what the problem is, but I am getting no sound from the system or the speakers. Evidently this has been a problem for several weeks and I never really noticed. I switched to Verizon DSL a couple of months ago and added more memory a few months ago. I also had some pretty intense problems with viruses a few months ago. So several things could have created the problems. When I go into Device Manager it shows ok and device detected. When I go into Multimedia Properties for Audio, it's grey and says no playback devices. When I try to play a cd with MediaPlayer it gives me an error msg that I have no sound card. Everything is plugged in correctly and I can't find a mute area anywhere. Any ideas how to fix this?

Advertisement

Register to Remove

#2 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 56,595 posts
  • MVP

Posted 27 June 2005 - 04:24 PM

When I go into Device Manager it shows ok and device detected.

Do you remember if there was a wire from you CD drive to the On-Board Audio device? You might have knocked it off when you added the memory.

Have you tried downloading updated drivers for the Audio Device?

#3 TeriB

TeriB

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 05:39 PM

I don't remember moving any wires when we added the memory. I guess I can open it up again. But it really scares me to do that. I am afraid of messing it up worse. Plus I cannot find the manual and am not sure where to look for the onboard sound chip. Can you tell me where to look for updated sound drivers? Thanks a lot.

#4 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 56,595 posts
  • MVP

Posted 27 June 2005 - 05:57 PM

You can try this:

Go HERE and download the "WDM Driver for CS4299".

Unzip it to a folder called Audio or whatever you want. Then, go into Device Manager (right click My Computer > Properties > Device Manager), right click your soundcard (that probably has a yellow question mark) click "Update driver" and navigate to the new folder you selected. Then you should select the cwawdm.inf file (or your device's name) and click OK...

#5 TeriB

TeriB

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:27 AM

WOOHOO!!!! We have sound!!!!! Thank you soooo muuuuch!! Your help was and is greatly appreciated!!!

#6 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 56,595 posts
  • MVP

Posted 28 June 2005 - 01:25 PM

Great job :thumbup: You're more then welcome. Glad we were able to help Peace be with you :wavey: You didn't live in Texas years ago did you? I knew some who used TerIB as a screen name is why I ask.

#7 TeriB

TeriB

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:50 PM

NO, lived in Missouri, but not Texas, sorry! Thanks Again!

#8 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 56,595 posts
  • MVP

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:02 PM

MO is where I'm at now :rofl: Glad we were able to help :thumbup:

Advertisement

Register to Remove