• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TeriB

TeriB

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:37 PM

Hello, if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I have Windows 98se with an onboard audio -Intel 82801AA I/O Controller Hub - AC'97 Audio Adapter. Not sure what the problem is, but I am getting no sound from the system or the speakers. Evidently this has been a problem for several weeks and I never really noticed. I switched to Verizon DSL a couple of months ago and added more memory a few months ago. I also had some pretty intense problems with viruses a few months ago. So several things could have created the problems. When I go into Device Manager it shows ok and device detected. When I go into Multimedia Properties for Audio, it's grey and says no playback devices. When I try to play a cd with MediaPlayer it gives me an error msg that I have no sound card. Everything is plugged in correctly and I can't find a mute area anywhere. Any ideas how to fix this?

Similar Topics: Sound Card Disappeared     x

#2 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 56,550 posts
  • MVP

Posted 27 June 2005 - 04:24 PM

When I go into Device Manager it shows ok and device detected.

Do you remember if there was a wire from you CD drive to the On-Board Audio device? You might have knocked it off when you added the memory.

Have you tried downloading updated drivers for the Audio Device?

#3 TeriB

TeriB

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 05:39 PM

I don't remember moving any wires when we added the memory. I guess I can open it up again. But it really scares me to do that. I am afraid of messing it up worse. Plus I cannot find the manual and am not sure where to look for the onboard sound chip. Can you tell me where to look for updated sound drivers? Thanks a lot.

#4 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 56,550 posts
  • MVP

Posted 27 June 2005 - 05:57 PM

You can try this:

Go HERE and download the "WDM Driver for CS4299".

Unzip it to a folder called Audio or whatever you want. Then, go into Device Manager (right click My Computer > Properties > Device Manager), right click your soundcard (that probably has a yellow question mark) click "Update driver" and navigate to the new folder you selected. Then you should select the cwawdm.inf file (or your device's name) and click OK...

#5 TeriB

TeriB

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:27 AM

WOOHOO!!!! We have sound!!!!! Thank you soooo muuuuch!! Your help was and is greatly appreciated!!!

#6 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 56,550 posts
  • MVP

Posted 28 June 2005 - 01:25 PM

Great job :thumbup: You're more then welcome. Glad we were able to help Peace be with you :wavey: You didn't live in Texas years ago did you? I knew some who used TerIB as a screen name is why I ask.

#7 TeriB

TeriB

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:50 PM

NO, lived in Missouri, but not Texas, sorry! Thanks Again!

#8 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 56,550 posts
  • MVP

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:02 PM

MO is where I'm at now :rofl: Glad we were able to help :thumbup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users