Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome to What the Tech Forums - Register now for FREE

We're your place for tech questions. Join 87499 others, and join the conversation. Ask questions. Find answers. Share your ideas and opinions. Browse our community. You'll find experts who enjoy helping others. Who explain technical issues in a non-technical way that anyone can understand. Create an account today (it's 100% free)!

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

Losing sound and video, And system freezing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 GDOGG

GDOGG

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Building Cheap 1.5ghz and below computers and selling them to people that dont need a 3.0ghz Computer

Posted 18 June 2005 - 04:16 AM

Hi there I have built my own puter Sempron 3100+ Winfast K8s 760mg mobo, But I have a problem with the audio (onboard realtek 97) and the video (onboard). The problem is with audio it just stops after a while or like before just when i change my screensaver. It dosent seem to like playing with me doing other stuff. And the video if I watch a few movies it after a while becomes really jerky and then the whole thing freezes and the system freezes and i have to reset the puta. But every time i reboot the sound and video is back to normal but just repeats the same after a while. Any help would be much appreciated :rant2: :( :angry: :rant: :scratch:

#2 rand1038

rand1038

Take over your PC or someone else will.

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:27 PM

Sounds like a memory leak. What programs are you using to play sound and video?

Also, please follow the instructions in this post as we need to know what Windows operating system and other relevant software you are running.

#3 GDOGG

GDOGG

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Building Cheap 1.5ghz and below computers and selling them to people that dont need a 3.0ghz Computer

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:14 PM

system info Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 4:07:35 PM, on 6/19/2005 Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000) Name AMD Sempron 3100+ Code Name Paris Specification AMD Sempron™ Processor 3100+ Supported Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2 CPU Clock Speed 1799.5 MHz Clock multiplier x 9.0 Front Side Bus Frequency 199.9 MHz L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size L2 Cache 256 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size L2 Speed 1799.5 MHz (Full) L2 Location On Chip L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes L2 Bus Width 128 bits DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM DRAM Size 384 MBytes DRAM Frequency 199.9 MHz FSB:DRAM CPU/9.0 CAS# Latency 3.0 clocks RAS# to CAS# 4 clocks RAS# Precharge 4 clocks Cycle Time (TRAS) 8 clocks Bank Cycle Time (TRC) 12 clocks DRAM Idle Timer 16 clocks hope this alrite copyed from CPUZ. I have a stick of 512 in there but just registers 384. I use Musicmatch 10 for my music and was using Ashampoo media player for video. But its the same for any player. Earlier on i was playn an internet game and the sound just vanished after bout ten mins of playn.

#4 rand1038

rand1038

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:28 AM

You are seriously behind on windows updates. This makes you vulnerable to a large number of the exploits out there. Check a couple of things please.

Go to Start > Control Panel > DirectX.
What version of DirectX does it say you have?

If your version of DirectX is less than 9 go download DirectX 9.0c. You can use the Quick Links to download the DirectX 9.0c runtime.

Go to Start > Control Panel > System.
How many MB of RAM does it say you have under the general tab?
Are you using one 512 MB stick of ram?

#5 GDOGG

GDOGG

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 11:53 PM

have done a windows update just reinstalld directx 9c , I have one stick of 512mb and its registers az 384mb i think 128mb is shared with graphics. I have the programme Ram Idle and the memory always seems to be going down. eg been on the puter for 10 min started with 234mb free now down to 132mb but have it set to free up ram if goes under 150mb. System gets incredibly slow under 120mb free. Do ya think i would be alot better off with a gig of ram.

#6 rand1038

rand1038

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:24 PM

Given the way windows handles memory the amount of "free ram" you have should be very low if you are running enough programs to occupy it. You are better off with processes in RAM rather than the paging file. Basically, windows keep a que where it tracks which processes are actively using memory. If a process is idle then windows will put its pages in the page file if a more active process needs the physical memory. You want to see very little ram free because that shows the system is doing its job by using as much physical memory as possible (which is much faster than the page file). I think you probably have a process which is active and has what is called a memory leak. It is not freeing up memory when it is done with it. A memory optimizer gets a big block of memory from the system and then immediatly frees it. This might help if you want to push everything that is consuming memory into the background but in the case of an active program that is leaking memory its not going to help for very long, the memory that was leaked will get pushed into the page file but the program will continue to consume more. Disable your memory management program, reboot the system. Use Ctrol+Alt+Delete to open task manager and see what program is consuming the most memory. Keep track of things as the system slows down and see if any trends develop. It may be a group of programs consuming the memory. It also may be your memory manager. I don't think there is much use for those programs on a modern system with a reasonable amount of RAM. They can even slow the sytem down. For example if you are playing a game and the memory manager kicks in your games memory blocks can get pushed into the page file then they have to be read back into physical memory. As far as memory goes, especially if you game or use high memory consumption software like a cad program, the more the better. If you can afford it put in the max your system can handle.

#7 GDOGG

GDOGG

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:38 AM

The ones using most mem is Mozilla.exe and Explorer.exe and Svchost.exe. Could I end Explorer.exe coz i dont use it?. Im using mozilla.

#8 rand1038

rand1038

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:32 PM

internet explorer's process is "iexplore.exe", explorer.exe is the shell you use to navigate windows, it shows the icons on your desktop, file system dialogs, etc. If you want to see what it does shut down all the programs you are running, start task mamanger and kill explorer.exe. To start it back up again go to File > New Task Run in task manager and type "explorer" in the box then click ok. Did you allow the system to run until it slowed down and keep track of what was using the most memory in task manager? If it is a memory problem then it should show up there. Does the problem occur when your memory manager is not running?

#9 GDOGG

GDOGG

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:39 PM

Yep nothing really seemd to change. Would there be anything in the bios that needs enabling. Ive put ma shared graphics down to 32mb instaed of 128. And problem persists whith or without memory mangers and lowert shared memory.

#10 rand1038

rand1038

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 04:55 PM

Post a full HijackThis log please.

#11 GDOGG

GDOGG

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 10:34 PM

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:37:25 PM, on 6/25/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Netropa\Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\MMDiag.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mim.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files\Memory Optimizer\MemoryOptimizer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\sistray.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Netropa\Multimedia Keyboard\nhksrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Photodex\ProShowGold\ScsiAccess.exe
C:\Program Files\Netropa\Multimedia Keyboard\TrayMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Netropa\Onscreen Display\OSD.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mozilla.org\Mozilla\Mozilla.exe
C:\Zipped\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://xtra.co.nz/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://xtra.co.nz
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: EpsonToolBandKicker Class - {E99421FB-68DD-40F0-B4AC-B7027CAE2F1A} - C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON Web-To-Page\EPSON Web-To-Page.dll
O3 - Toolbar: EPSON Web-To-Page - {EE5D279F-081B-4404-994D-C6B60AAEBA6D} - C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON Web-To-Page\EPSON Web-To-Page.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MimBoot] C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mimboot.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD] C:\Program Files\Netropa\Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BootSkin Startup Jobs] "C:\Program Files\Stardock\WinCustomize\BootSkin\BootSkin.exe" /StartupJobs
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Mozilla Quick Launch] "C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\Mozilla.exe" -turbo
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ccleaner] "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe" /AUTO
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Memory Optimizer] C:\Program Files\Memory Optimizer\MemoryOptimizer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Utility Tray.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\sistray.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.musicmatch.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.musicmatch.com (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1117192727772
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zon...nt.cab31267.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{C5FFB089-E05D-4E88-9A0E-3B1E322F8C1B}: NameServer = 202.27.158.40,202.27.156.72
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Netropa NHK Server (nhksrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Netropa\Multimedia Keyboard\nhksrv.exe
O23 - Service: ScsiAccess - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Photodex\ProShowGold\ScsiAccess.exe

#12 rand1038

rand1038

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 01:18 PM

GDOGG you still need to get the Windows Updates done.

Lets test your RAM. Download this tool for testing your RAM (x86 architecture).
Memtest86.
Make sure you download the Pre-Compiled Memtest86 installable from Windows and DOS, get the latest release version.

Put a blank floppy in your floppy drive. Open "My Computer" then right click the floppy drive icon and choose "Format". In the dialog box that opens DO NOT choose "Quick Format". Click ok to the dialog and allow the format to finish. If you don't format the disk first chances are much greater that the program will fail to run properly.

Leave the floppy disk in the drive, go to the folder where you unzipped memtest to (you must have unzipped memtest, it will not work from a zip directory) and double click install.bat. For the target drive enter the letter 'a' and press enter. The programs will be copied to the floppy disk (the dos window will close). Once that is done you WILL NOT be able to look at the contents of the disk (windows will give you a "disk is not formatted" message), that is normal.

Leave the floppy disk in the drive and reboot the computer. If you get any messages about booting from the floppy make sure it happens. If you get a message about not being able to read from the floppy or memtest does not run, toss out that floppy disc, format and reinstall memtest on a different one.
Let memtest run all eight of its tests, at least two passes (all 8 tests twice) unless you get errors the first time. Plan on this taking close to an hour, time varies with the amount of memory to test and your machines cpu, etc. Run at least two passes, if you can run more then do so. The more passes you can run, the better. Post back with the results of the test (you will have to write them down, memtest doesn't contain any printing or file saving options).

#13 GDOGG

GDOGG

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 11:50 PM

My floppy is not shown up in My Computer. How do I enable it agen, did it once b4 but forgotten.

#14 GDOGG

GDOGG

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:19 PM

Problem solved, loaded the otimized defaults in the bios and everythings works perfect now. Cheers for all the asistance. One of those seems dodgy and hard probs with an easy answer. sorry for the run around and thanks heaps for the help. Cheers