Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome to What the Tech Forums - Register now for FREE

We're your place for tech questions. Join 87515 others, and join the conversation. Ask questions. Find answers. Share your ideas and opinions. Browse our community. You'll find experts who enjoy helping others. Who explain technical issues in a non-technical way that anyone can understand. Create an account today (it's 100% free)!

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

Outlook XP and SpySweeper frozen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kate

Kate

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 06:35 PM

For the past few days, my Outlook XP email has frozen on start-up; I contacted my ISP and the tech suggested it could be mail hanging, so I accessed my webmail and deleted what was waiting there, though no large files. This did not solve the problem, so I called back and the tech was unable to help - the only suggestion - unofficially - was to uninstall Outlook and re-install. I have not done this. I cannot close it - have to shut down manually.

I uninstalled AntiVir and installed AVG and ran it - no virus found. In this time, Windows XP SP2 finally downloaded and I installed it (had not been able to prior). SpySweeper also had an upgrade that I downloaded and installed. Now I have been having a problem with it - it suddenly opens and freezes, so I can't even run it - last time was June 4.

I have run CWShredder and nothing found. I have also used SpyBot and nothing found.

Internet Explorer is operating but opens slowly compared to normal.

I have a yahoo address as well as my ISP address.

Here is my HJT scan - hope you can help [you were wonderful when I had a prior problem in November 2004]: I note the last 3 itmes - coule these be the problem??

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 7:09:15 PM, on 12/06/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\S24EvMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\DeepSight Extractor\ExtractorService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RegSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RoamMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wwSecure.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Switching\User\RoamSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\mqsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\mqtgsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\wwDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\HJThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://sympatico.msn.ca
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = proxy:8080
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCTVOICE] pctspk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winampa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Window Washer] C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\wwDisp.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .mp3: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin5.dll
O16 - DPF: {9B03C5F1-F5AB-47EE-937D-A8EDA626F876} (Anonymizer Anti-Spyware Scanner) - http://download.zone...ctor/WebAAS.cab
O16 - DPF: {DC187740-46A9-11D5-A815-00B0D0428C0C} - http://ds1.downloadt...pcpowerscan.cab

#2 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 56,586 posts
  • MVP

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:13 PM

Hello Kate, welcome to the TC.

click Start>Run> type in Regedit tap enter.
navigate to this key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \CLSID\{FB7199AB-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541}
\InProcServer32

In the right-hand pane, double-click on the (Default) value and delete whatever is entered there, leaving it blank. Click OK. Now perform exactly the same step with the key directly underneath, namely

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \CLSID\{FB7199AB-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541}
\LocalServer32

Once both (Default) values are empty, OE will open normally

Important: Do this before any fix.
You need to update your version of HijackThis. Open HJT> Open Misc Tools> Pull the side bar down> Check for update online. If that doesn't work, download it from my signature and remove the hijackThis.exe you have now.

Also please put your HijackThis in it's own folder, (I create a new folder in C:\ named HJT).
You can do a Right Click on any open area on the desktop, New> Folder, then rename the folder HJT.

Go to where your HijackThis is and Right Click on HijackThis.exe, select Cut, then open the new folder you just created (HJT) Right Click in the folder and select paste.

Empty Recycle Bin

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment

#3 Kate

Kate

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:37 PM

Thanks LDTate - glad to hear from you. (I have been away for a few days.)

I followed your instructions (though it was right click, not double click on the default value), downloaded new HJT, and emptied recycle bin.

And rebooted.

Outlook is still the same. Still frozen. I also sent a help request to Webroot re SpySweeper but the first response from them has not helped it either - it is still frozen also.

Here is my new log:

[I also note the Deepsight Extractor - I tried to delete as I no longer have Symantec since last November - but I probably deleted the uninstall in error so it is still hanging around.]

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:20:43 PM, on 28/06/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\S24EvMon.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\1XConfig.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RegSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://sympatico.msn.ca
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = proxy:8080
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZCfgSvc.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .mp3: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin5.dll
O16 - DPF: {9B03C5F1-F5AB-47EE-937D-A8EDA626F876} (Anonymizer Anti-Spyware Scanner) - http://download.zone...ctor/WebAAS.cab
O16 - DPF: {DC187740-46A9-11D5-A815-00B0D0428C0C} - http://ds1.downloadt...pcpowerscan.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: Sebring - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LgNotify.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: DeepSight Extractor CC Service (ccExtractorService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Symantec\DeepSight Extractor\ccExtractorService.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Deepsight Extractor (DeepsightExtractor) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Symantec\DeepSight Extractor\ExtractorService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
O23 - Service: Washer AutoComplete (wwSecSvc) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wwSecure.exe

Looking forward to your response!

Kate

#4 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 56,586 posts
  • MVP

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:34 PM

All I see are Optional fixes that aren't bad, just resource hogs and not needed at startup

Run hijackthis. Hit None of the above, Click Do a System Scan Only. Put a Check in the box on the left side on these:

You said you removed Symantec, so lets fix these.
O23 - Service: DeepSight Extractor CC Service (ccExtractorService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Symantec\DeepSight Extractor\ccExtractorService.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: Deepsight Extractor (DeepsightExtractor) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Symantec\DeepSight Extractor\ExtractorService.exe

Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"

use Add/Remove Programs and remove this if listed.
DeepSight Extractor

If it wasn't listed, then delete the folder.
C:\Program Files\Symantec\DeepSight Extractor

Empty Recycle Bin

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.

#5 Kate

Kate

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:16 PM

Thanks. I have done as recommended re HJT.

Deep Sight Extractor will not delete/uninstall from add/remove programs OR by simple delete folder. Here is the message from the add/delete programs attempt: "Installation support file could not be installed. The system cannot find the file specified." Here is the message from the delete folder attempt: "Cannot delete extractorservice.exe: access is denied".

Outlook is still completely frozen - freezes computer and must manually shut off and reboot. Spy Sweeper still same. I did not mention before but SpyBot is not working properly either - should I uninstall and reinstall it? I was able to install updates just now but the search ability is not present - it claims to search but not as before.

Here is the new HJT log: Please advise re number 016s - should they be there?

Scan saved at 3:04:25 PM, on 29/06/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
O23 - Service: Washer AutoComplete (wwSecSvc) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wwSecure.exe

Thanks again, Kate

#6 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 56,586 posts
  • MVP

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:26 PM

Here is a short list of instructions that explains how to force Spybot to run on one processor. With HyperThreading: Open Spybot, then leave it alone Open Task Manager, and go to the Processes tab Right-click on SpybotSD.exe, and choose "Set Affinity..." On the box that comes up, check/uncheck boxes so that ONLY "CPU 0" is checked. Go back to the already-open Spybot, and run a scan. It should complete without hanging or losing responsiveness. If this works for Spybot, try it with other programs giving you problems. If this workaround stops the hanging you apparently have issues with HyperThreading. You might want to go into the BIOS and disable HyperThreading completely if this is the case.

#7 Kate

Kate

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:17 PM

When I right click on SpybotSD.exe, there is no "Set Affinity" - here is what there is: "Set Priority: Realtime/High/AboveNormal/Normal/BelowNormal/Low" It is set at Normal. Kate

#8 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 56,586 posts
  • MVP

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:21 PM

Sounds like you don't have the latest version of SpyBot.

Even if you've already run these, make SURE they're up-to-date and run per instructions.

Make sure you have the up-to-date versions of Spybot V 1.4 and Ad-aware SE Build 1.06 . All are free and available below.

Download Spybot, install and update. Then download Ad-aware, install, and update.

Spybot:

Install the program and launch it.

Go to Start > Programs >Spybot > Search & Destroy and choose Spybot S&D

Close ALL windows except Spybot S&D
Click the button to "Search for Updates" and download and install the Updates.
Next click the button "Check for Problems"
When Spybot is complete, it will be showing "RED" (RED) entries "BLACK" entries and "GREEN" (GREEN) entries in the window
Put a check mark beside the RED (RED) entries ONLY.
Choose "Fix Selected Problems" and allow Spybot to fix the RED (RED) entries.

Ad-Aware FULL SCAN:

Install the program and launch it.

First in the main window look in the bottom right corner and click on Check for updates now then click Connect and download the latest reference files.

From main window :Click Start then under Select a scan Mode check Perform full system scan.
Next deselect Search for negligible risk entries.
Now to scan just click the Next button.

When the scan is finished mark everything for removal and get rid of it.(Right-click the window and choose select all from the drop down menu and click Next)

Empty Recycle Bin

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.

#9 Kate

Kate

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:34 PM

I had SpyBot 1.3 so uninstalled and installed 1.4 and update and scanned. No problems - and it works the way it did before now. Thanks.

Also installed Adaware. Problem. I tried scans twice and both times it froze partway through at the same file, with 5 objects, 5 new critical objects, 1 registry key and 4 registry values noted at that time. It froze up and had to manually close.

My outlook is still frozen as is Spysweeper (Webroot has not yet been back with any help)

Here is the new HJT log:

Scan saved at 2:25:34 PM, on 30/06/2005

Running processes:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll

Thanks, Kate

#10 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 56,586 posts
  • MVP

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:43 PM

You're log is free of SpyWare / malware and virus's.
I really can't help much with SpySweeper and Outlook. sorry.

Good Job :thumbup:

Log looks good :D

Note: This will remove all previous Restore Points

Turn off System Restore:

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Restart your computer, turn it back on.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Remove the Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Click Start> My Computer, select the Tools menu and then Folder Options, after the new window appears select the View tab…]
This time select the: Restore Defaults
Select: Apply, and click OK

If you dont have these three programs I would recommend that you get them. Spywareblaster, Spywareguard and IESPY AD. They will add 1000's of sites to your resticted zone and block some hijacks from happening. I also have a FREE FIREWALL and FREE ANTI VIRUS if you need one.

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system.

Keep your system up to date and run Adaware & Spybot, once a week works, and hopefully you will be ok from here on. Both are available below.

Safe Surfing. :D

#11 Kate

Kate

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:34 PM

Well, thanks for all this anyway LDTate. I originally had Symantec Internet Security but after I insatlled an update last year I had problems so decided to use just Windows XP firewall and uninstalled the Symantec version. How many spyware programs do I need running? i.e. is it safe to have at once? My ISP suggested [unofficially] that I uninstall Outlook but I don't want to do that - will call Dell and see what they say. Thanks again. Kate

#12 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 56,586 posts
  • MVP

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:03 AM

How many spyware programs do I need running?

I run the 3 I listed along with Ad-Aware and SpyBot.

My ISP suggested [unofficially] that I uninstall Outlook but I don't want to do that

You can Google for answers. Try this one:
http://mail-repair.com/

#13 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 56,586 posts
  • MVP

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:32 AM

Great job :thumbup:

You're more then welcome.
Glad we were able to help

Peace be with you :wavey:

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.