Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome to What the Tech Forums - Register now for FREE

We're your place for tech questions. Join 87515 others, and join the conversation. Ask questions. Find answers. Share your ideas and opinions. Browse our community. You'll find experts who enjoy helping others. Who explain technical issues in a non-technical way that anyone can understand. Create an account today (it's 100% free)!

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

No Sound From Speakers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 crosswired

crosswired

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 02:48 AM

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7]
I am having sound problems. I have checked all the connections and they are good. I can hook my old computer up and everything works just fine.

I ran a system bios utility and it showed the following:

==On Board Device (type 10, handle 0021, length 10)
Device Type 1=Other,Disabled
Device Description 1=SMsC SuperI/O
Device Type 2=Sound, Disabled
Device Description 2=Sigmatel STAC9758
Device Type 3=Ethernet, Disabled
Device Description 3=ADMTek AN983N

I`m running Windows XP Sp1
Bios Version: Fujitsu Siemens // Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 4.06 Rev. 1.01.1675
Sound Card: SigmaTel
Model: SigmaTel C-Major Audio

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

#2 wng_z3r0

wng_z3r0

MRU Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Interests:Cornet, video games

Posted 28 January 2005 - 02:04 PM

Go to device mangager (right click my computer, hit properties. click on hardware tab then device manager. look for any ones with a ? symbol next to them. Are you sure that your speakers are good? ALSO, go into your bios and try to enable this line: Device Type 2=Sound, Disabled I dunno why it says disabled.. Poke around and see if you can make it enabled Be careful what you mess with though :P Good luck, wng

Edited by wng_z3r0, 28 January 2005 - 02:07 PM.

#3 zorfox

zorfox

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 04:55 AM

I agree with wng_z3r0 about setting your bios and checking your device manger. Beleive it or not though I have had many calls with people saying they have lost audio. I tell them to see if they have a speaker icon in their system tray. If so unmute the audio. If not go to control panel select sounds and multimedia and check all the volumes, and make sure you have the correct device selected. If al the above fail then download an updated driver (here you may even try to install it just to see if it works) try deleting your sound, video and game controllers in control panel-device manager. Reboot and let windows find you sound card and use the new drivers. If windows does not find it I suspect you have incorrect bios settings. Nevertheless, go ahead and choose you own device and select have disk. Then use the new drivers. So if your bios IS correct, you have updated drivers, you have uninstalled and reinstall your card, then I suspect your card is bad. Search for application that check harware at that point. Ok I am out of breath LOL. Good luck!

#4 OD Fa Real

OD Fa Real

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:22 AM

Not sure if this will help, but I had a similar issue with Sigmatel audio not being recognized with XP Pro after upgrading from Media Center edition. I had to go to BIOS, and Onboard Devices, and make sure Integrated Audio was ON. I also know windows didn't recognize it until i installed Service Pack 2. Sorry if this is off-topic, just trying to throw some info out there.

#5 dubz

dubz

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:43 PM

is it a laptop? make sure your function keys are not stuck.... personally im not a fan of sigma tel...

#6 Katterine

Katterine

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

hi, not sure about the XP but I was able to fix my problem with vista following directions at http://annoyances-re...ed.blogspot.com