Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

%temp%

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:11 PM

I have run this occasionally for years and most files disappear leaving those that are being used..

I am posting only because I see something different as the same files remain..

I have used disc cleanup, safe mode, Ccleaner, and 6 or 7 remain.

The properties of each say they have been moved.

I Googled and there seems to be a lot of chat about this issue with 8.1.

If this is not an issue I am not concerned but if it is an issue I would like to correct it if I can.

Attached Thumbnails

• temp.png

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:25 PM

I don't have any of those files. Have you tried Unlocker to get rid of them or boot to Safe Mode and delete?

Look at them in Details view, how big are they? If small then forget about them.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:59 AM

It says they are 0 bytes and when I try to delete, it says, they are no longer in the same location they were before. 

I did try safe mode to delete, disc cleanup etc. to no avail.

I did 2 system restores and they were still there.

?Macrium.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:15 PM

Read here, couple ways to fix this: http://www.sevenforu...in-corrupt.html

Rich

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:50 PM

I was told not to worry about %temp%  and that programs could be running etc.

This was after I recovered with Macrium.

I have 8.1 and the files which stayed in the temp folder had no content before the recovery but now they do so programs must be running.

Recycle bin was and is running fine.

Sorry to bother and thank you for your help.

Seems be running ok.

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:19 PM

No problem Peter.

Rich

#7 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:22 AM

Rich

I found this; does it make sense to you and seem to apply to the files I showed? 50% say leave them and 50 % say fix it.  It specifically refers to oice which are my files!!

The pc runs well but it would be nice to fix a malfunction if that is really the case. I do not understand the explanation at all beginning with 'right clicking the taskbar short cut' and 'most 'of the message. I am not skilled enough to grasp the directions if they would fix the issue. My thinking is that those icons or files in the temp location never used to be that numerous and alike. They were never that persistent either. I sense there is an issue and this discussion appears to address it. I hope it is accurate and can fix it if I could understand it. Do you understand what they mean?    OICE in my temp location is what this addresses but the explanation is obver my head.

Peter

>>The OICE_XXXXXX-XXXXX-XXX folders have to do with Outlook attachments and their security descriptors.

If you are having trouble deleting them from your %TEMP% folder, close all open folders then right-click the taskbar shortcut or menu item for Explorer and choose Run as administrator. Acknowledge the UAC warning and provide credentials if asked. This will open Explorer with the elevated permissions you require to delete the folders/files. A quick jump to your temporary files folder can be made by typing %TEMP% into the address bar and hitting Enter.

You should now be able to delete anything that is not locked by an open process<<

Edited by Peter1, 03 July 2015 - 05:25 AM.

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:55 AM

I don't think that will work, but give it a try, won't hurt.

right-click the taskbar shortcut or menu item for Explorer and choose Run as administrator. Acknowledge the UAC warning

Click on Start, type explorer, right click on explorer.exe and select Run as Administrator.

Try deleting as described.

Do you use Outlook (part of Microsoft Office)?

Try installing Unlocker then open the temp folder and right click on each of the  OICE_ folders and select Unlocker then Unlock. When that completes, try to delete the folder.

Rich

#9 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:04 AM

R

I clicked on start>explorer but there was no explorer.exe.

My start is without the lock screen.

1-I see you are in the other forum so will come here only.

2-I agree it probably won't work so I'll forget the fact that explorer.exe does not come up.

I noticed on my other pc which is identical, although some files are there for a day or so they eventually go but these never leave.

3-  my uneducated guess is that the pc was closed with some programs still running and it forced closed.

TY Peter

!!!!  P.S. Unlocker did remove the files - great. I will let you know if something is awry after, but all is running well.

Muchissimo gracias -old man learning a language. Happy 4th and thanks  again for the help.

Edited by Peter1, 04 July 2015 - 07:40 AM.

#10 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:27 AM

I don't think that will work, but give it a try, won't hurt.

right-click the taskbar shortcut or menu item for Explorer and choose Run as administrator. Acknowledge the UAC warning

Click on Start, type explorer, right click on explorer.exe and select Run as Administrator.

Try deleting as described.

Do you use Outlook (part of Microsoft Office)?

Try installing Unlocker then open the temp folder and right click on each of the  OICE_ folders and select Unlocker then Unlock. When that completes, try to delete the folder.

I opened unlocker then followed the path to the folder where I chose to delete and it did.  I missed the right click on the file that you told me to do. Hope it can be done either way. In the future it will be a right click.

Edited by Peter1, 04 July 2015 - 08:27 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:53 AM

I ran both sfc and DISM twice unsuccessfully.

Does the message tell you anything that I can rectify.

If a  file is missing is there a way to repair it with 8.1?

Attached Thumbnails

• dism.png

#12 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:40 AM

Try following KYHI's directions here: http://www.eightforu...html#post503032

Download the two files in his post to a folder by themselves.

Convertesdwimiso.zip

RESTOREHEALTH.CMD.txt

Rename RESTOREHEALTH.CMD.txt to RESTOREHEALTH.CMD.

Mount a Windows 8.1 ISO that matches what you have installed (right click on it and select Mount).

Copy install.wim from the Sources folder of the mounted ISO to the same folder as above.

Open a Elevated Command Prompt and navigate to the folder the above 3 files are in.

Run RESTOREHEALTH.CMD

I've only done this as far as starting to run RESTOREHEALTH.CMD, then I terminated it as my system is clean and I don't want to change anything.

Make sure your backup is current before doing this.

Rich

#13 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:59 AM

I am off to see family for a while and will bring what I need to work on this. I will be in touch as  have to try to figure out thoe directions.

Thanks for hanging in,

I tried 3 images back to April and each had the same issue if that is any clue.

**I thought an afterthought was important.

With each of the June, April and March images, I was doing %temp% successfully and now that I imaged back to each of them, those files are present. It is as though I bring them along with me.

I'll let you know how that procedure works when time m allows-thanks P.

Edited by Peter1, 04 July 2015 - 12:05 PM.

#14 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:20 PM

Try following KYHI's directions here: http://www.eightforu...html#post503032

Download the two files in his post to a folder by themselves.

Convertesdwimiso.zip

RESTOREHEALTH.CMD.txt

Rename RESTOREHEALTH.CMD.txt to RESTOREHEALTH.CMD.

Mount a Windows 8.1 ISO that matches what you have installed (right click on it and select Mount).

How do I do this -with my 8.1 disc or getting it online? I am uncertain about mounting and getting the iso.

Copy install.wim from the Sources folder of the mounted ISO to the same folder as above.

Do I expand the iso once I find it, until I see 'install.wim' then paste it to the folder with the 2 downloads?

Open a Elevated Command Prompt and navigate to the folder the above 3 files are in.

Run RESTOREHEALTH.CMD

I've only done this as far as starting to run RESTOREHEALTH.CMD, then I terminated it as my system is clean and I don't want to change anything.

Make sure your backup is current before doing this.

#15 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:47 AM

I forgot to answer one of your questions I have microsoft office home and student 2010 and I have my email program is outlook.com so my extension is. Live

---------------------------------------------------

[Update 7-07-15=  I used Unlocker and those "oice"  files are gone.

I gave DISM another shot before trying the procedure suggested, and it said all corruption repaired.

The reason for this post is to ask if the remaining files should be left alone in %temp% or removed with Unlocker?

Thank you]

Edited by Peter1, 07 July 2015 - 08:07 AM.