Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Windows 8.1 : Task Host is Stopping Background Tasks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nanajana

nanajana

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:42 PM

Hello,

Does anyone know how to fix this problem:  Windows 8.1 : Task Host is Stopping Background Tasks.  I get this message upon shutdown of my laptop.  I believe it reared its ugly head after an update.  It was totally annoying and I always have to perform a hard shutdown to be able to move on.

Thank you, any help is greatly appreciated.

LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE! Great words to live by.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:06 AM

Hi nanajana, sorry to hear of the problem with shutting down your computer and the message that keeps popping up.

As it started after installing some updates I think a good first step would be to use a System Restore Point created BEFORE the problems started. This will put your computer's settings  back in time to what they were before the problem started.

Here's the information from Microsoft and I am setting out underneath the steps you can consider taking:

To restore your PC to an earlier point in time

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the top-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, then click Search.)

Enter Control Panel in the search box, then tap or click Control Panel.

Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, then tap or click Recovery.

Tap or click Open System Restore, then follow the instructions.

Extracted from here:
http://windows.micro...efresh-reset-pc

There is no need for you to perform a reset or refresh at this time, so just use the System Restore Point and see if this does the trick for you.( however do make sure that the System Restore point you use id one dated definitely BEFORE the trouble started...

Post back and let us know how you get on

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 nanajana

nanajana

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:09 AM

Hi paws,

Thanks for replying but I couldn't do that because I did not have any idea when this started other than at some point it was after an update.  By the time I realized this was an on-going issue that ship had sailed.  I did try windows repair (all in one) by tweaking.com but that disabled all my windows programs from functioning so, at that point, I had to perform a system restore to get my computer back. 

A couple of days ago another windows update was installed and so far, touch wood, this problem hasn't occured.  Hopefully this has resolved it!!!

Cheers,

nanajana

Edited by nanajana, 30 January 2015 - 09:10 AM.

LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE! Great words to live by.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:29 PM

That's good to hear,

Glad you got it fixed,

:thumbup:

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate