Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

sfc unable to fix corrupt files

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 amitemurray

amitemurray

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:52 AM

I ran sfc /scannow and got the following message: "Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\Cbs.log". I was denied access to the log, so I cannot post it.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:50 AM

Hi, Try running chkdsk with the r switch from a command prompt with elevated privileges, accept the warnings select Y press enter type Exit and reboot your computer.

Leave chkdsk to run undisturbed, you will not be able to use your computer whilst its running and it may take several hours to complete all 5 passes......

the command you need is:

chkdsk /r

When your computer has fully started up (wait 5 minutes or so) then try running sfc /scannow

again.... you may need to run it 2 or 3 three times...with a reboot after each run...

What is the fault or symptoms you are trying to fix?

Regards

paws

• ThreadMutex likes this
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:37 PM

What operating system, XP, Vista, Windows 7 or 8?

For XP, Vista and Windows 7 run SURT (download and install which runs it) then re-run sfc /scannow 2-3 times.

For 8 and 8.1, run dism then re-run sfc /scannow 2-3 times.

Open a Elevated Command Prompt. Type

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

and press Enter.

That often resolves these problems.

Edited by Ztruker, 06 November 2014 - 08:40 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#4 amitemurray

amitemurray

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:35 PM

Paws--Tried chkdsk /r. Got this message: "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)" When I type Y and restart, nothing happens (other that a normal reboot).

The fault I was trying to fix is inability to run chkdsk, and repair corrupt files sfc found.

Ztruker--my Windows 7 machine didn't recognize the /restorehealth option, so I ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth instead. Here is the log produced.

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.18526
2014-11-06 18:29

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
(f) CBS MUM Corrupt 0x00000000 servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~11.2.9412.0.mum  Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~11.2.9412.0.mum does not match the actual file name
(f) CBS MUM Corrupt 0x00000000 servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~11.2.9412.0.mum  Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~11.2.9412.0.mum does not match the actual file name

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 371
 Found 2 errors
  CBS MUM Corrupt Total count: 2

Unavailable repair files:
 servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~11.2.9412.0.mum
 servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~11.2.9412.0.mum
 servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~11.2.9412.0.cat
 servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~11.2.9412.0.cat

Edited by amitemurray, 06 November 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:40 PM

Rats, my fault. You need to use SURT for XP, Vista and Windows 7. DISM is for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

Please try that.  I updated my previous post.

Rich

#6 amitemurray

amitemurray

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:42 AM

Dowloaded, installed, and ran SURT. Then ran sfc /scannow twice. Still getting "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." Access denied on opening CBS.log. (I was able to see the log from Command Prompt, saw the word "failed" a lot.)

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:25 AM

Are you having any problems or is this just a SFC problem?

I'm not very good at fixing SFC problems. You might do better over on the sysnative forum dedicated to sfc and update problems.

Windows Update and SFC problems

Start with Windows Update Forum Posting Instructions

Edited by Ztruker, 16 November 2014 - 04:29 PM.

• Corrine and jcgriff2 like this

Rich

#8 Corrine

Corrine

Authentic Member

• Malware Expert
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:PC Security
  • MVP

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

HI, Rich.  Thought you'd like to know that, as a result of your referral, the problem amitemurray was having has been solved:  sfc /scannow cannot repair corrupted files.

dGFVuFn.jpg

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#9 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:28 PM

Thanks Corrine. The folks at sysnative.com are fantastic when it comes to sfc problems (and a lot of other problems too).

Wish we or GeeksToGo had a course on reading, interpreting and fixing SFC, SURT and DISM logs and file corruption.

Rich

#10 amitemurray

amitemurray

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:44 PM

I wish to thank the fine folks at both forums, What the Tech and Sysnative, for their excellent and unselfish dedication to helping the common folk get out of the jams they get themselves into! I am in awe of your training and expertise. :clap: