Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet connected but browsers not working.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bigabulk

bigabulk

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:16 PM

Morning!

First, sorry for my bad english. 

A few months ago I have problems with internet. Suddenly I can't connect to the internet with any browser (I've tried chrome, firefox and explorer), but actually internet works, for example skype works properly and I can make calls as normal.  This problem happens several times a day. 

I opened a thread in forums.spybot. I received some recommendations but the problem is not solved. If you wish to see what we've done, this is the link: 

http://forums.spybot...hlight=bigabulk

Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:50 AM

Hi bigabulk, sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing.

If you usually connect via w ifi  then please connect to the Internet using an ethernet cable to your router and see if this improves the situation.

If there is no improvement then as a first step check your back up situation make sure you are 100% happy with it (hopefully it will not be necessary to reinstall your operating system but it is always wise to be prepared) make sure all your discs with Windows , applications etc are to hand and you have made a note of the 25 character Windows Product serrial key that appears on the COA sticker somewhere on the case of your computer. You will also need  your drivers,especially for your network adapter card ( ethernet and wi fi if applicable)

Once you are happy with your preparations then post back and we will recommend some procedures for your consideration to help resolve the issues.

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 23,225 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Malware and cooking some great Italian and TexMex food
  • MVP

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

Paws, worked with this nice lady over at Safer, some info for you

From her FRST log

Hosts: Hosts file not detected in the default directory
Tcpip\Parameters: [DhcpNameServer] 192.168.0.1

====================================================

From her SystemLook log

SystemLook 30.07.11 by jpshortstuff
Log created at 15:05 on 11/08/2014 by Gabriela
Administrator - Elevation successful
WARNING: SystemLook running under WOW64. Use SystemLook_x64 for accurate results.

========== filefind ==========

Searching for "hosts"
C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-w..nfrastructure-other_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_6079f415110c0210\hosts --a---- 824 bytes [21:00 10/06/2009] [21:00 10/06/2009] 3688374325B992DEF12793500307566D

-= EOF =-

===========================================

Finally got hosts file installed using this

From a new SystemLook

SystemLook 30.07.11 by jpshortstuff
Log created at 07:35 on 16/08/2014 by Gabriela
Administrator - Elevation successful

========== filefind ==========

Searching for "Hosts"
C:\Users\Gabriela\Downloads\HOSTS --a---- 509407 bytes [02:42 16/08/2014] [14:32 08/07/2014] 11FD3342C899E461F047606C94008951
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\HOSTS --a---- 509407 bytes [02:43 16/08/2014] [14:32 08/07/2014] 11FD3342C899E461F047606C94008951
C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-w..nfrastructure-other_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_6079f415110c0210\hosts --a---- 824 bytes [21:00 10/06/2009] [21:00 10/06/2009] 3688374325B992DEF12793500307566D

-= EOF =-

================================================

From new FRST
Hosts: There are more than one entry in Hosts. See Hosts section of Addition.txt
Tcpip\Parameters: [DhcpNameServer] 192.168.0.1

(If needed Hosts: directive could be included in the fixlist to reset Hosts.)

2014-08-15 21:43 - 2014-07-08 09:32 - 00509407 ____A C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
0.0.0.0 fr.a2dfp.net
0.0.0.0 m.fr.a2dfp.net
0.0.0.0 mfr.a2dfp.net
0.0.0.0 ad.a8.net
0.0.0.0 asy.a8ww.net
0.0.0.0 static.a-ads.com
0.0.0.0 abcstats.com
0.0.0.0 ad4.abradio.cz
0.0.0.0 a.abv.bg
0.0.0.0 adserver.abv.bg
0.0.0.0 adv.abv.bg
0.0.0.0 bimg.abv.bg
0.0.0.0 ca.abv.bg
0.0.0.0 www2.a-counter.kiev.ua
0.0.0.0 track.acclaimnetwork.com
0.0.0.0 accuserveadsystem.com
0.0.0.0 www.accuserveadsystem.com
0.0.0.0 achmedia.com
0.0.0.0 csh.actiondesk.com
0.0.0.0 ads.activepower.net
0.0.0.0 app.activetrail.com
0.0.0.0 stat.active24stats.nl #[Tracking.Cookie]
0.0.0.0 traffic.acwebconnecting.com
0.0.0.0 office.ad1.ru
0.0.0.0 cms.ad2click.nl
0.0.0.0 ad2games.com
0.0.0.0 ads.ad2games.com
0.0.0.0 content.ad20.net

There are 1000 more lines.

Tried to reset hosts back to default using FRST Hosts: command and it would not work

The forum is staffed by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.
If you feel you have been helped, please consider a donation.
donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

Thanks Ken, Looks like her hosts file has gone AWOL and something is stopping a replacement from working

When she gets back to me I'll try resetting the IP/TCP stack, flushing the DNScache...

I wonder if she can connect to sites using the IP address rather than the DNS...?

Could the Spybot "innoculate utility" have caused this sort of issue?

with Tea Timer compounding it?

If not and the mini toolbox wont do the trick then it may be quicker to a restore to factory even though there will be a few updates to do... I do hope her back up is good...

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• 23,225 posts
  • MVP

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

Hey Nigel,

Spybot has the option to lock the hosts file, but I dont know if she had it locked and never had her undo it due to the fact that there was no hosts file, been at this for many years and never saw one disappear like this one did

When she posts back we can have her unlock it if locked

With the Advanced Mode active
Tools section
IE Tweaks section
Uncheck: "Lock hosts file as protection against hijackers"

Minitoolbox would be a good option

donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE

#6 bigabulk

bigabulk

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for your help. I was trying to connect using cable, but due to the location of the router is impossible. Regarding the requirements to continue, I'm ready.

Thanks your time. 

#7 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• 23,225 posts
  • MVP

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:23 AM

Dont know where the techs went, I will have to send them a PM and ask.

In the meantime, open up Spybot and up on the top left make sure your in Advanced Mode, then click on the Tools Section >  IE Tweaks and if the Hosts file is locked uncheck it

Try temporarily moving your computer closer to the router so that the cable with reach, just set it up on a small table or even a box and then try accessing the internet again and see if the problem still exists  

donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE

#8 bigabulk

bigabulk

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:38 PM

Thanks, done. I have to wait few hours to know if the problem still exits. 

#9 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

Hi bigabulk,

Ken very kindly messaged me as for some reason I had not received the usual auto notification from our forum software that you had replied to the topic..... I'm sorry you have been kept waiting.

I suggest we throw some automated tools and a special script or two at the Internet connection issue in an attempt to avoid having to perform a reinstall of your system (that is really a last ditch type solution)

However it would still be wise to check that your back up is 100%, comprehensive and with at least one copy kept safe on removable media and that you have all your discs needed for a reinstallation should it be necessary to use them, and that you have the product serial key for Windows noted down, and kept safe (from the COA sticker on the case of your computer) If you have difficulty in locating the disc then let me know and I'll see if the download sites are still available so that you can download a copy and burn it to CD/DVD ( you will of course need your own product serial key to use the disc should it become necessary.)

1 Once you are happy with your back ups. please open notepad (click on the Start orb) and type in the search box:

notepad

press enter

2 Copy the following script and paste it into the open notepad :

@Echo on
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0

3  save the notepad to your desktop as flush.bat

and alter the save as file type to:

all files

4 Double click the flush.bat file on your desktop and it will run and then close down and restart your computer.

5 When your computer has started up please wait 5 minutes, from the time your desktop appears ( by the clock please, not a second earlier) and then try to connect to the following site using Internet Explorer:

www.bbc.co.uk

6 Please let me know if it connects OK or if there is a problem

7 If there is a problem then please try to connect again to the bbc site but this time we shall use a different method

8 Using Internet Explorer please type into the address bar:

press enter

9 Let me know if this connects this time or if you still have a difficulty

Regards

paws

#10 bigabulk

bigabulk

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

Morning!

Done. I could connect using internet explorer (step 5 and / or 6). 

I have to wait a few hours to be sure the problem is resolved, because usually happens suddenly. 

Thanks for your time and apologies for delay in responding.

Have a good day!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:32 AM

Hi bigabulk,

That was good to hear

Well done!

:thumbup:

Give it a good test for a day or two and let us know how you get on.

Regards

paws

#12 bigabulk

bigabulk

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:54 PM

Hi!

Unfortunately I still have the problem. Suddenly, it seems that I haven't internet (browser) but skype works. When the problem occurs, I tried the following: 

1 Clear web browser's cache  (rarely works) 
2 Remove the network, from Control Panel -> Manage wireless networks (sometimes works) 
3 Restart the PC (almost always works). 
If the latter doesn't work, i reboot PC twice or more until the problem is solved.

Thanks for your time.

#13 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

just an idea for the techs helping you.

it sounds like the adaptor is going to sleep and not waking up again when needed and why a reboot makes it work again.

no idea if that is definitely the problem or where to look for any settings that may need changing to stop it going to sleep so it's always on and working.

that is why this is just an "idea" post. :D

:popcorn:

sorry missed where you said skype still works when browser doesn't connect, so that would rule out the adaptor going to sleep, if that was the case then you'd have no internet connection at all, including skype. :blush:

Edited by terry1966, 02 September 2014 - 09:01 PM.

#14 bigabulk

bigabulk

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:28 PM

Thanks.

This problem is driving me crazy  :weee:

#15 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

bet it is, :pullhair:

i hate intermittent connection problems, always a pain to narrow down the cause especially when the standard things fail to solve it.

got to be a software issue somewhere tho, just because skype always works.

what makes your case unusual is it happens regardless of which browser you use, yet skype always stays working, proving you do have an actual internet connection at the time the browsers fail to connect.

i really have no idea what could be the cause, everything i can think of would stop the browser connecting at any time (eg. firewall/anti virus setting.) not just intermittently or stop skype working at the same time like hardware/driver issues.

:popcorn: