Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Help problems with my desktop

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 HMH22

HMH22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

I'm not sure if this is a virus or something wrong with the computer itself but, for the past couple months iI have been having problems with start-up and these last few days it seems to have gotten worst.  It usually happens in the morning when I start it up it will come on work for a little while and then it freezes or i get a blue screen.  I have to go through this process about ten times a day.  I'm just not sure what it is wrong.  I tried to do a pc cleaner today but it seems like that made it worst if anyone can help me please it would be greatly appreiciated thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

Could be a number, or combination of things, the fastest way to get started given the vagueness of what's happening, I suggest going to the Pit, create an account (assuming you don't have one, but it's free), and run their test, when it's finished copy the URL of the results, and paste that back here, without an account the results will be lost, this will help us see what's going on, and where the best place to start is, then we can go from there.

Braindead

#3 HMH22

HMH22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:52 PM

Hi, 8210GUY thanks for the response.  I have made an account with the Pit and I clicked on the new members link but it took me to a page about Mozilla or Opera and using the Neptune and I am on Internet Explorer and do not see a link for that. I am also not sure which test you would like for me to run, should i run them all or is there a specific one you would like me to use

#4 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

Hi, yes they offer a lot of info, and can be confusing at first look, you want to take the OverDrive Test, assuming this link works, you should see a login panel on the left, once logged in hopefully it will offer you to take the test, if it doesn't, look to the left panel and click on anything that say's OverDrive, or comments about a full battery of tests, hopefully this will become clear as you get there with this info, hope it helps.

Braindead

#5 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

from that link if i remember correctly all you need do is click on the new member key, which will then take you to a page with 2 buttons 1 to create an account or 2 not create an account and just run the test (just click on this choice).

once the test is run just copy and paste the url of the results page into next post.

:popcorn:

#6 HMH22

HMH22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

Hi thank you both for yor replies I( figured out what was wrong I use Google Chrome so much I forgot to get on to IE so sorry about that anyway here is the link:

http://www.pcpitstop...onid=25626041Hi

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:03 AM

Hi HMH22, I'm sure my colleagues will come back with their own recommendations, but in the meantime, its seems that your computer may not have been updated correctly for over 5 years!

If this is the case and all the important and critical Windows Updates that should have been installed (including the very important service pack 2) have not been installed then its a miracle that your computer has been running satisfactorily up until now.

Brace yourself for a lot of work......a lot of folks spend half an hour or so most weeks updating their computers with the latest updates and if a lot of these haven't been done for years then depending on the speed of your Internet broadband you could be in for a lengthy job......5 years is say 250 weeks which could equate to 125 hours, and that's over 2 weeks full time work at 8 hours a day.... 

However let's look on the Brightside, maybe you will be able to complete them all, remove all unnecessary temp files and the like, defragment your machine, and complete all the other recommendations in double quick time. I sure hope so.

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#8 HMH22

HMH22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:05 AM

Hi paws thanks, for the info.  I have only had this computer for almost 2 years now but, I guess thats what I get from getting it from a pawn shop.  I knew I had problems with it when I first put internet on it but i think that was from a virus.  Well I hope I will be able to get it fixed and I am willing to do everything I can to get it fixed because, right now I can not go and buy a new one at the moment. Well thanks and i will wait for a response from your coworkers

#9 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:39 AM

Right, from what I can see so far it does appear to be simply maintenance that's needed as paws said, so let's start with a quick security fix, launch Internet Explorer, and toward the top left click on the button marked "Tools" (if you don't see this option then press the Alt button to make it visible, then do this), then go to the bottom option "Internet Options" and click it to open a new window.

Now click on the tab marked "Security" and you will see some options in the middle of it, click on the button marked "Reset all zones to default level" which will help keep things tighter, I also suggest getting MBAM, if you were ever going to pay for protection then this is the one to get, but you can get it and install and run it, and you can choose to trial the full version giving real time cover, and that will surprise you what it stops, or you can use it for free, which is the same, but minus real time cover, anyway if it finds anything Quarantine them, then close and move on.

Next let's clear out some junk, get and install\run CCleaner (free version), and Disk Cleaner (you need to select all items via right click before running), they each get bits the other misses, be aware that running these will wipe your cookies, and if you use these to save logging into forums etc each time you visit then make sure you have them noted as you will have to log in again to ALL sites after running them, should you want to stay logged into sites let me know and I will guide how to do this without having to worry.

I suppose the last thing currently would be to run Windows Update, and keep running it time after time until it says there are no more updates, should it say about auto updates, make sure that is turned ON, that way it will do this without bothering you for the most part, the only thing that may come up is a reboot request, which you can do or postpone depending on what you're up to.

There will be more to do to help, but this will keep you going for a little bit, but should MBAM come back with any findings, Stop doing anything else, no adding or removing\installing etc, report back here with the name(s) it is reporting (assuming there are any findings), then we can gage if it would be wise to get a check up from the pro's before continuing, so see how all this goes and let us know what you feel if it has helped, then we can go on from there.

Braindead

#10 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

Along with the already excellent service advice offered here, it would be a good idea to get rid of some of the garbage programs that were probably already on the PC when you bought it:

1. Google toolbar.

2. Any program with the word "Acer" in it that is not a driver.

3. McFee anti-virus security is rubbish, but it is not a straight forward "add and remove programs" job.

Download from Major Geeks McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool and follow their instructions for a successful removal.

4. Download and install Essential Avast free version anti-virus to replace McAfee.

5. Download to desktop Junkware removal tool from bleepingcomputer.com and give it a run. Don't touch anything while it's running.

6. Defrag. your computer.

That little lot will help your PC breath some clear air!

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 HMH22

HMH22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

Hi 8210GUY and Lee I have just a couple questions before I start with the cleaners do I need to do the CCleaner first before the Disk Cleaner or does it matter and, should I go ahead and take off McAFee Antivirus before I do anything at all and install the Essential Avast free version? Also do I need both MBAM and Essential Avast free version do they do the same thing or do they have different features?

#12 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

avast is a real time anti virus solution, in other words it's running all the time to protect your pc from malware.

mbam is an on demand anti virus solution and only runs when you tell it to do a scan, so is more a 2nd opinion or double check to make sure there is no malware on your pc.

yes i'd install both a real time anti virus solution and mbam.

personally i wouldn't bother with disk cleaner it is old and not maintained any more (since 2010) so is outdated, just use ccleaner.

first thing i'd do is un-install mcfee and install avast, run a scan with that then download and run mbam, then download and run ccleaner.

:popcorn:

#13 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

I'll second what Terry suggested as the best way to go, but do download and run the Junkware removal tool afterwards as it will sort out your registry of any garbage. Then Defrag. with with the speedy Aslogics DiskDefrag

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#14 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

do I need to do the CCleaner first before the Disk Cleaner or does it matter

TBH it makes no difference, but I personally start with Disk Cleaner, it just seems faster when there is a lot of junk, but terry is quite correct about it being old now, I've simply been using it since way back, and even now it still finds stuff the other doesn't, but it certainly will not hurt to just use CCleaner on it's own as suggested.

should I go ahead and take off McAFee Antivirus before I do anything at all and install the Essential Avast free version

Personally as we have no idea about what may be going on, I would install and run MBAM before making big changes such as this, because if there is something going on, it's possible it "could" make it harder work for the pro's to clean up, that's my suggestion anyway, but the pro's will have a far better insight into this than myself, but when you do go for this make sure you download Avast, and the McAfee removal tool BEFORE uninstalling McAfee.

Many would also suggest removing the system from internet access until done, but a few installers these days need a connection to get files to install, but don't visit sites until you are fully protected again, and be aware that sometimes programs launch a web page during such processes, just close them as soon as you can, they are only simple obvious welcome\goodbye things.

Also do I need both MBAM and Essential Avast free version do they do the same thing or do they have different features

I would definitely use both, as MBAM is not an anti virus, it's an antimalware tool, and watches out for different kinds of baddies than the anti virus does, I know a lot of anti viruses have included protection for this as well, but they are not in the same league as MBAM, it's why you always see it being recommended by the pro's.

You can use it as a standalone scanner, these are always good things IMHO, half the battle most of the time, is when you're infected installing such programs can be impossible (when bit with a nasty bug), by having it installed you are free to run it as a double check whenever you like, I usually put about 3 such programs on a system, not because they are going to block anything, but rather they are there if needed to try and catch a nasty if you get hit with something, as no single piece of software can catch everything, but with my mates I need every bit of help I can get to keep them in order lol.

But if you pay for the full version of MBAM it will happily run alongside Avast in real time cover without issue, and give even greater cover, give the full version trial option a go if you want to see just how much it may do for you, anyway that's my thoughts on this.

Braindead

#15 HMH22

HMH22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:42 AM

Hi thank you all for the information.  I was able to to remove McAfee Antivirus and download MBAM and Essential Avast.  MBAM had no quartined items.  I also ran CCleaner but didn't do the Disk Cleaner. I also ran the Junkremoval toolkit but when I tried to run the Aslogics DiskDefrag it would not let me it keeps saying Internet cannot display the webpage. I would click on another website to see if it would load and it would so im not sure what I am doing wrong.  Anyway just wanted to let you know where i am at in this session.

ETA: I looked at my Windows Updates and here are what they provided

Windows Vista (3)

Windows Malicious Software Tool-May 2014 (KB890830)                      Important     5/13/2014

Motorola Inc.- Network - Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem            Optional      12/26/2012

nVidia - Network - NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller                        Optional       5/6/2009

Windows Live (1)

Windows Live Essentials                                                                        Optional        4/5/2012

Bing Bar (1)

Bing Bar 7.3 (KB2673774                                                                       Optional        3/26/2014

Bing Desktop (1)

Bing Desktop v1.3.4                                                                                Optional       5/28/2014

Edited by HMH22, 07 June 2014 - 08:15 AM.