Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

A very weird problem, hope I can get a solution for it.

No wired

Best Answer ComputerEngineer , 18 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

Well, at least this little trick got my browsers to work, but what I wanted it to work still didn't do so !!. Maybe because there's a firewall in the network that is causing it to not work, anyway, here's the trick, go to Internet Explorer, then to Int... Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerEngineer

ComputerEngineer

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:00 AM

Hi guys,

My problem is a bit weird and difficult to solve, even though, (in my opinion) I guess the solution is very simple, but maybe I couldn't see it, so, I hope you guys can. My laptop gets internet from my router at home via wireless, but at work, there's only wired connection available, when I use it to connect to internet, it's written that there's internet access but I can't actually get google or any other site. I even tried pinging some LAN I know about and the ping worked successfully. I created a second account on my laptop and tried using the internet on the same cable, and guess what ??, it worked !. So, I need the internet on my main account, so, what can I do in this weird situation ?!!.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ComputerEngineer, 14 January 2014 - 03:02 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 ComputerEngineer

ComputerEngineer

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:11 AM

Btw, I forgot to tell you about some extra info that might help. At home, I left Facebook and Youtube opened and closed my laptop on sleep mode, when I went to work, and opened my laptop, I was still able browse in them, but when I tried to open a new tab to call google, it didn't open for me. And, I guess I tried to open Youtube as well from a new tab and it didn't open as well, even though, I could browse my pre-open Youtube tab.

#3 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:44 AM

Hi ComputerEngineer, and welcome to the WTT forums.

It sounds like you have a corrupted User profile that has been fixed by you setting up the new account.

However to get full functionality from your new accouint you will need to copy your stuff from your old account( to the new) so you can use/acess it on the new one. However it needs to be done in a precise way ( if its to work correctly) so I;m enclosing details of the steps you need to follow

The following link provides full details oon how to do this:

http://windows.micro...e#1TC=windows-7

Post back when you have finished it all and let us know if this has done the trick for you

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#4 ComputerEngineer

ComputerEngineer

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:54 AM

Thanks for your greeting, Paws.

But, before I do this process, I need to make sure about something, are all the programs that have saved passwords will be transferred as it is, or all the saved passwords will be gone ?!!.

#5 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:58 AM

Hi ComputerEngineer, You should already be able to access your applications via the new user account, log on to websites etc.

However as always its wise to make sure that your latest back up includes everything that is important to you on your machine (stuff you dont want to lose permanently) so do check this before proceeding and make sure you have at least one extra copy kept safe offsite on removable media.

I also recommend that customers  have a good disc image (using either one of the free disc imaging applications or a paid for version) and a bootable disc able to mount their external drive or whatever they use to store the image on, before they perform any system modifications. Then at least they will be able to put things back as they were when the image was made.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#6 ComputerEngineer

ComputerEngineer

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

"Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and New_Username is the name of the new user profile you created."

This step didn't work for me !.

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:21 AM

Hi ComputerEngineer,

Tell us what happens....

What do you have in your C:|Users\Folder/directory?

What operating system are you using?

Your forum profile shows Windows 86..... That's a new one on me! :)

Regards

paws

#8 ComputerEngineer

ComputerEngineer

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:10 AM

Hi paws,

It's a WINDOWS 7 86 bit, lol !!. I think I solved the problem without using the steps mentioned above, I'm going to check the wired connection tomorrow and see if it works or not !.

Regards,

ComputerEngineer.

#9 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

Thats good to hear

let us have details of the fix so other folks can use it.

Regards

paws

#10 ComputerEngineer

ComputerEngineer

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:45 PM   Best Answer

Well, at least this little trick got my browsers to work, but what I wanted it to work still didn't do so !!. Maybe because there's a firewall in the network that is causing it to not work, anyway, here's the trick, go to Internet Explorer, then to Internet options, then to Connections tab, then press on LAN settings, then tick "Automatically detect settings" and untick "Use a proxy server for your LAN", every time I was connecting to the internet via that cable, these ticks were reversed automatically, that's why you can see internet access, but you can't enter any site !. It was a proxy issue if you have a good understanding about networks, paws..

Regards,

ComputerEngineer.

Edited by ComputerEngineer, 18 January 2014 - 11:48 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 ComputerEngineer

ComputerEngineer

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:14 AM

Now, there's another problem that is completely out of my hands, should I post it on the same post or make a new thread for others to see ?!!. This one is a real tough one and I've did everything I could but with no difference !.

#12 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:44 AM

Hi ComputerEngineer.

On the assumption that you haven't yourself set up a proxy, if a proxy server keeps on being used then a possible cause is that a piece of malware is responsible, or that you have a corrupted user profile.

However you set up a new user profile and copied all your stuff across to it, so it cant be that..
(you did complete the instructions given for doing that didn't you?

It may be best to take a trip over to the Virus and Malware Removal Forum, read the directions and post your log as directed so that a malware removal expert can take a "look" inside your computer and see if malware is present, if so they will provide step by step instructions on how to proceed.

See here for instructions on how to do this:
http://forums.whatth...howtopic=106388

Please include a link to this topic here so that they can see what has been going on. Make only one initial post with everything in it you want to include over in Virus and Spyware Removal forum,.... do not make a second post in that forum until you have received a reply from them (they look first for topics with Zero responses and if you follow up your initial post with a second they will assume you are already receiving assistance from someone and may pass your topic by, and go on to help other folks....

To avoid any conflicts you should follow the directions of the malware removal expert and make no other system changes or scans unless instructed by her/him.

We will place your topic here "on hold" so to speak but when your machine has been checked for malware and you receive the "all clear" please then return to this topic here,if you still have other problems(non malware related with it, and we will pick up where we left off.
Regards
paws

#13 ComputerEngineer

ComputerEngineer

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Hi paws,

Even though, I think my problem is solved, but I still made a post for malware just to check for my laptop's safety. About your steps, well, I didn't complete your steps since an error occurred as I've mentioned in a previous post, but anyway, we've reached our goal and my browsers worked !!. My main problem is the NAT, but I'm not entering into any further details till I'm clear from malware as you requested !.

Regards,

ComputerEngineer.

#14 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:05 AM

Hi Computer Engineer,

I see that you have utorrent installed on your computer, as you know file sharing using P2P is one of the major vectors for the distribution of malicious code (viruses, worms, Trojans etc)....

I also note that your C: drive has been filled almost to capacity leaving only a fraction over 2% as free space..... this is insufficient for correct running of your computer.  It will need at least 15% free space to run effectively and 25% is a  better target to aim for.

The Virus and Spyware removal expert may address these issues with you, on your new topic in that forum and might ask you to run a Windows Genuine Advantage type tool.

However please take no actions on these until you are requested to by a Virus and Spware removal expert.

Regards

paws

Edited by paws, 20 January 2014 - 04:04 AM.
typo

#15 ComputerEngineer

ComputerEngineer

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:43 AM

Hi paws,

Well, I was going to free up drive space as soon as I free up space in my 1.3 TB HDD, because I record many videos that take up to around 1 GB per video, so, when my C: drive fills up, I send some to my HDD to free up space, and, because you said that my C: drive should have at least 15% free space in order to make my computer run effectively, I'll free up space in my 1.3 TB HDD to send all my videos there, and since my videos could not contain any malicious codes, there's no need to wait for them as I've posted my thread 2 days ago and I've received no answer yet !.

Regards,

ComputerEngineer.