Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Windows 8.1. Update Disk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MikeSA

MikeSA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

I tried to download Windows 8.1 today but had to give up as it was chewing up all my data. The download requires a hefty 3.6GB to download and, with a slow connection, it is simply not viable to download. The cost would be astronomical. Does anyone know where I can get a Windows 8.1. update disk?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:20 PM

http://windows.micro...amp;WT.Search=1

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:03 AM

@MikeSA, I can sympathise... I have broadband, but the speed is fairly slow by modern standards..at around (download) 1.5-1.8 MB/sec (and that's on a good day at a good time!) So it will take me around 5 or 6 hours or so just to download, and that's without the actual install procedure, and assuming of course that the connection does not drop out.... If you are on narrow band or anything much slower than mine, then it may be worthwhile parceling up your computer and its "bits" and seeing if a chum with a faster Internet connection will allow you to do the installation there using his/her connection. I have a chum who has a 16Mb/sec Internet connection and it took him just over 2 hours to do the whole download and install.... I have been trying to track down an .iso from Microsoft but so far without any luck...(only the Preview seems to be available, at the moment, by.iso) When doing the installation its important that all necessary Win 8 updates are downloaded and installed before commencing the 8.1 upgrading...( a little bit extra time may be needed for this....and then as an added bounus my chum reports that he had to install a further 16 updates to the Win 8.1 upgrade once the installation had completed.... Regards paws

Edited by paws, 18 October 2013 - 04:10 AM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

8.1 retail is or will soon be available from places like Tiger Direct, Amazon, etc. as well as retail stores. It will not be the free upgrade version, but a replacement for 8.0.

See here: Windows 8.1 Retail Medit

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

An .iso is now available for the upgrade of Win 8 to Win 8.1.
It only applies to an upgrade and the Win 8 product serial key is needed for the original Win 8 installation, other than that it seems to be relatively straightforward....although I haven't tested it yest myself!
http://winsupersite....s-8-product-key

Important note This is not a method of circumventing paying for a licence to use the product... you must have a valid install of Win 8 on your computer and a valid licence product key for it.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

I tried that yesterday. Doesn't work if you've already updated to 8.1, says the key is not valid. I have two keys and it won't accept either one. Only one of the Windows 8 keys has been upgraded to 8.1. I can probably get the Windows 8 Pro X64 ISO from my Desktop as I will never upgrade that one, it does not have the necessary hardware support. What I want is the Windows 8 Pro X86 ISO that matches what I have installed on my Toshiba Laptop.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown