Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Acer Aspire problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 narflack

narflack

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

I was installing a new modem/wireless hub combination on my Acer Aspire M1100. During the install I temporarily lost power to my PC. When I started it back up the monitor is black and there is no power to the keyboard or mouse. The monitors yellow power light is on and when I unplug it from the pc it says "no signal" on the screen. When I plug the mouse controller in it very briefly flashes green light and then nothing. No lights of any kind on keyboard (cap or number lock). I have searched this and other sites and others with similar issues indicate they BIOS may need to be reset. I am not sure which key enters BIOS and have tried all suggestions operating in the dark absent a monitor and not even sure the keyboard is working even if I am striking the right key. All tech support for the modem can suggests is reboot the PC which I have done to no avail. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

Hi narflack and welcome to the WTT forums. Sorry to hear of the problems with your Acer. We really need a lot more information from you to assist you.... examples: 1 Assuming your back ups are all 100% and with an extra copy kept safe offsite on removable media then you could try the Alt+ F10 procedure to restore your computer to its factory condition, deleting all your data, applications and Windows itself..... the Alt+ F10 procedure will allow you (usually) to access the Acer e recovery partition. 2 details of the operating system you have installed and if you have the recovery discs or Win XP or Vista installation discs. 3 Have you tried substituting your VDU and cable for known good working ones? 4 What happens if you try booting to a bootable CD? 5 Did you make disc images when your computer was running fast and sweet? 6 Have you tried removing the CMOS battery and allowing the system to drain half an hour before replacing it? 7 Have you powered down the machine by holding down the power on button for 30 seconds( by the clock) and then waiting 3 minutes and then powering up? Do you have acopy of the owners manual? Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 narflack

narflack

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for the prompt response. I will try to provide the requested information. 1. Unfortunately I dont have an off site back up 2. I am running windows XP and I believe I have the installation discs 3. I have exchanged cables and monitors with no positive results 4. Don't have a bootable CD therefore I haven't explored that option 5. I don't have disc images 6. Have not removed the CMOS batter and not sure I know how 7. I have powered down by holding the power button for 30 seconds and waiting to reboot 8. I do not have the orginal owners manual. I was able to download what appears to be a generic manual but it doesn contain much info I can probably take it to a local repair shop but was hoping it was something I can fix myself.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Hinarflack Thanks for the additional information... I dont want to labour the point...but are you happy that your backups contain everything that's important to you on your computer( stuff you need and dont want to lose?) if so then its worth trying to fix it yourself...although its not going to be easy...so your idea of taking it to the repair shop is well worth considering..... however in any event if there's anything on the machine that you dont want to lose that may have escaped your back ups then now's the time to remedy it or try to.... We will post instructions on how you can do that if you need them Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 narflack

narflack

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:11 AM

I am willing to give it a try myself if you would be kind enough to post the instructions on how to do it.

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:16 AM

Probably the easiest way to access you files, (docs, photos, music, spreadsheets emails etc etc is to remove the hard drive from your computer (taking all personal safety and ESD (anti static) precautions and connect it to a known good working computer. If its a SATA drive then just plug it in with a standard SATA cable to the next highest numbered SATA port on the motherboard...(the boot/system drive is normally plugged into SATA0 port so just plug it in the next higher numbered one...ie SATA 1 etc You will also need to plug in an appropriate power connector from the PSU ( there are usually a few spare) to the drive. If its a PATA drive (IDE) then alter the jumper on the suspect drive to CS (Cable select) and plug it into the spare connector on the 80 line connector cable that connects the computers boot/ drive to t6he motherboard. When you start up the known good working computer then you should... be able to access your files and copy them somewhere safe. As an alternative if you are not happy about connecting the drive internally to a known good working computer, then hard drive USB caddies are available for a few pounds or dollars, either on line or from certain internet auction sites or from your local computer store/shop (note if you buy from your local shop then you will pay much more than if you buy on line/or at auctions sites... I would be inclined to borrow one from a chum rather than spending money and buying one, but as always its your call... When your suspect hard drive is placed into the caddy then it can be plugged into any USB port on any working Windows PC and you should be able to access your drive. Post abck and let us know how you get on and if you are now happy that your back up is 100% effective Regards paws