Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Explorer and Start menu issue.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 josh1quattro

josh1quattro

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Hi, Issue is that windows Explorer keeps crashing, Not internet explorer, windows explorer. This only happens when launching a window such as 'My Computer' or 'My Documents' etc. Or if an application launches explorer, like Microsoft powerpoint when you press 'save as' etc etc. also, I don't know if its related but when going 'Start > All Programs' for the first time after boot up, no matter how long I leave it before opening it, it will show all the folder names but has no icons next to them, and when I click on them, the icon becomes the icon for searching like when you do a windows search for something (the magnifying glass moving around a piece of paper). Basically its as though its taking a long time to load all the icons into cache or something. I have scanned for viruses with Bitdefender antivirus plus 2013 and reported nothing. Also with malwarebytes malware scanner and rootkit scanner, and they both reported nothing. Its not the specs of my pc I don't think: Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 O.S: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit CPU: AMD FX -8120 (3.1Ghz 8 Core) RAM: 16Gb GPU: XFX R7870 DD Black Edition Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus plus 2013 HDD: 500Gb (5400RPM) Hitachi With OS + Apps installed 1Tb Seagate (5400 RPM) With all data installed (music, films, games, etc) All Help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks. Josh

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

Try running chkdsk, see if that finds and fixes any file system errors,
  • Open My Computer.
  • Right click on drive: and select Properties (drive: is your boot drive, usually C:)
  • Click on the Tools tab then the Check now button.
  • Check the Automatically fix File System errors box.
Alternatively, you can click on Start then Run, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter.

For your boot drive (usually C:), you will get a window that says the check could not be performed ....
Do you want to schedule this disk check to run the next time you restart the computer?
Click on Yes.

Shutdown and reboot. Chkdsk will start. It can take an hour or more to run depending on the size of your hard drive.

Be patient and let it complete undisturbed.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 josh1quattro

josh1quattro

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I tried that, it found no errors and the problem still persists. Thanks again, Josh

#4 josh1quattro

josh1quattro

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

Because a photo can explain it better than me... Heres a print screen of my 'all programs' this is the first time I opened 'Start' but is about 10 mins after boot up. you can see the 4 program folders I clicked on as their icon has the magnifying glass thingy. :') they would stay like that for about 2 mins then they all start to appear. Cheers, Josh

Attached Thumbnails

• Start_Menu.jpg

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Advanced startup options - XP
Advanced startup options - Vista
Advanced startup options - Windows 7

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

Rich

#6 josh1quattro

josh1quattro

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

hi, I tried with nothing enabled in startup, and I then tried diagnostic startup. it behaved the same way, although booting up quicker, (obviously :') )

#7 josh1quattro

josh1quattro

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

I just tried safe mode with networking and everything behaved normal and as it should! no lag in start menu and explorer didn't crash. Cheers, Josh

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

What devices do you have connected to your computer. Mouse & keyboard (wired or wireless) Printers USB devices Bluetooth devices Firewire devices Also, uninstall BitDefender, see if that makes a difference. Reinstall if not. If it does, use a different AV. I use Microsoft Security Essentials. Do you use a firewall other than the built in Windows Firewall? If so, disable it and test.

Rich

#9 josh1quattro

josh1quattro

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

I seem to have fixed it. I just made it delete and re build the index and set it to index my entire pc, as a bit of a long shot, but it seems to have fixed both issues. :s bit odd I think but ill see how it goes, Thanks anyway. You've been very helpful. ill be returning here if I need any more help!!! :D Thanks again, Josh