Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Computer Protection - Pinned Topics

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NewbieNewbie

NewbieNewbie

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

First off I love this site and you guys have helped me immensely. I think a post detailing the type of protection every computer should have (i.e. antivirus, firewall, etc) would be very valuable. In addition to the type of software needed, you could also rank your favorite software for each protection category. Then each piece of software could have a link to the best/safest place to download it (if it's free) or to the manuf site if its paid so we could learn more about it. If you really want to dig deep, then for each piece of software you recommend, you create a post (hyperlink it) detailing the appropriate settings you should have. Now of course this could be tricky bc some software can do multiple things, but I bet just having a post from pros like you would be very valuable and tons of people would read it :)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:00 AM

I think a post detailing the type of protection every computer should have (i.e. antivirus, firewall, etc)

For windows 7 the firewall is fine and MSE is the top tech recommend here as an antivirus. That's all the protection you need.

For windows 8 the firewall is fine and windows defender is now an anti-virus, so you need nothing except keeping defender updated (auto is best).

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#3 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

As a needed update since my last post:

MSE is not longer "top notch" and would consider Avast anti-virus  for that title now.

For W8, the inbuilt Defender and adding Malwarebytes as another layer of protection is a wise choice. The pro. version of Malwarebytes is highly recommended as is the pro. version of Avast if not using IE8.

Edited by Lee, 10 June 2014 - 09:12 AM.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.