Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93078 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Monday Madness

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

Mr. Arson, Mr. Burglar, Mr. Counterfeit, Mr. Dognapper, and Mr. Ebezzlement are five convicted criminals. They were convicted of arsonry, burglary, counterfeiting, dognapping, and embezzlement. None of the men's name matches the crime for which he was convicted. Also, due to the confusion induced by these names, none of the men was convicted of the crime for which he was originally arrested and charged for. It also happens that none of the men were arrested or originally charged with the crime that matched his name. For example, Mr. Burglar was charged with the crime that Mr. Dognapper was sentenced for, and Mr. Dognapper was charged with the crime that Mr. Counterfeit got sentenced for. Mr. Arson was sentenced for embezzlement - though that is not what he was charged with. The namesake of one crime was charged with the crime of which the namesake was charged with counterfeiting.

Obviously this is confusing and a complete injustice. We must help get things straightened out!

Who has been sentenced for dognapping? How do you know?
Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

Tomk. 'Cause I saw him. Plus when the dog escaped and returned home, she tol me.

Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroon
If you are happy with the help you recieved, please consider making a Donation 5Iv60h9.jpg
Curiosity didn't kill the cat. Ignorance did, curiosity was framed.
Learn how to protect Yourself

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days.

#3 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

So... no one can help resolve this issue? Maybe we should just sentence them all to whichever crime carries the stiffest penalty?
Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#4 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

sorry tomk i've been meaning to sit down and try and work this one out, but with one thing and another i just haven't gotten around to it and to be honest i don't know when i will either at the moment. :popcorn:

#5 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

been a while but here's my answer. Mr. Ebezzlement was sentenced for dognapping. how to i know? logic and elimination. (assuming my logic is correct. :smack: ) Mr. Arson was charged with dognapping and sentenced for embezzlement Mr. Burglar was charged with arsonry and sentenced for counterfeiting Mr. Counterfeit was charged with embezzlement and sentenced for burglary Mr. Dognapper was charged with burglary and sentenced for arsonry Mr. Ebezzlement was charged with counterfeiting and sentenced for dognapping :popcorn:

#6 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

It's been so long I had a bit of trouble finding my notes. When I work it out... I get a different answer. Yet if I work backwards from your answer... I can't figure out at what point your answer doesn't meet the criteria. But... when I set up a "truth table" I cannot get your answer. :pullhair:
Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#7 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

well confusing you must be worth a treat anyway.. :rofl: i think i had a choice of 2 near the end Mr. Burglar or Mr. Ebezzlement with my truth table (if that's what the x tick boxes are called.) and " The namesake of one crime was charged with the crime of which the namesake was charged with counterfeiting." confused me a bit but finally got me to plump for Mr. Ebezzlement as the culprit. i'll do another truth table and see if i get the same answers. (not guaranteed.. :rofl: ) :popcorn:

#8 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

ok i did another and came up with these answers, but could just as easily have came up with my original answers. :pullhair: the only thing i am 100% sure of is Mr. Arson was sentenced for embezzlement and Mr. Counterfeit was charged with embezzlement. :rofl: Mr. Burglar was sentenced for dognapping. Mr. Arson was charged with counterfeiting and sentenced for embezzlement Mr. Burglar was charged with arsonry and sentenced for dognapping Mr. Counterfeit was charged with embezzlement and sentenced for burglary Mr. Dognapper was charged with burglary and sentenced for arsonry Mr. Ebezzlement was charged with dognapping and sentenced for counterfeiting :popcorn:

#9 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

" The namesake of one crime was charged with the crime of which the namesake was charged with counterfeiting."

When I ran my truth table- this statement told me that Mr. Arson had to be charged with counterfeiting (we already knew he was convicted of embezzlement), but didn't tell me if it was Mr. Burglar or Mr. Embezzlement that was charged with arson. I had to work that out through process of elimination on my table.

Anyhow... Well done terry1966! That is the correct answer. Unfortunately, due to the time it took to resolve this issue - the defendants filed a dismissal motion claiming they were denied due process under the fair and speedy clause. The judge found in their favor and they were all released. It just so happens that three of the perpetrators have been picked up again on new charges and the other two joined the cabinet of the Obama administration where they are protected by executive privilege.

I've been making candied peanuts (very similar to toffee coated peanuts) to snack on. Have a few:
Posted Image
Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#10 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

they'll do just fine i love peanuts too. :D yes sorry i took so long to get around to it, but one good thing the two that joined the cabinet can only make things better for you over there.. :D just wish more people had the time to try and work out your puzzles after the effort you put into finding them each week. as always many thanks from me. :notworthy: :popcorn:

#11 chrissy72

chrissy72

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

I kinda liked OLDMANS answer :rofl:
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. -Albert Einstein.