Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Sysem freezing and going slower [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#61 Satchfan

Satchfan

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 6,813 posts
  • Interests:LFC, music, more LFC, more music

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:46 AM

I wonder what was "cleanmypc software"

It is a registry cleaner that you must have installed at some point. It is not a good idea to registry cleaners/boosters.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, (and you are expert in the registry), I would suggest you leave the registry alone.

I strongly advise you to get rid of cleanmypc and any other cleaner/optimizer/booster/tuneup/tweak type utilities that you have on this or any other computer.

One of the malware experts, miekiemoes, has an excellent write-up here
Another excellent article by Bill Castner is located here

=========================================

Go ahead and update IE: it didn’t appear that any malicious BHO was added.

It appears that everything is OK now.

Satchfan

NINA - Proud graduate of the WTT Classroom

Member of UNITE

The help you receive here is free but if you feel I have helped, you may consider making a Donation.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#62 asdronin

asdronin

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

Hi Satchfan, Its true, reading what you said and the articles you recommended I can see tune up tools are not really advisable, I think I didn't install that tool on purpose but perhaps I got bad memory, so I will uninstall the CleanMyPC as you advised. Also I bought some time ago Advanced System Care which falls in that same category, and so I think I will remove it. Im not expert in registry, and if I ever touch anything its just about startup programs, but just little changes you know, however the information you gave me is very useful. I will continue to update IE as the remaining steps of update or install you suggested, in 24 hours I think I will have them all done after the update/uninstall of the mentioned software.

#63 Satchfan

Satchfan

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

in 24 hours I think I will have them all done

I'll wait to hear from you before closing this.

Member of UNITE

The help you receive here is free but if you feel I have helped, you may consider making a Donation.

#64 asdronin

asdronin

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:11 AM

Hi Satchfan, You were right about the disk space required for the windows update, and it seems only part of the updates were downloaded (I didn't see the error in the end), so when I tried to install IE9 it just complained about missing SP or wrong OS, so I asume its because 11 of the update's parts were not downloaded (I only picked urgent updates). I know I freed so few disk space considreing your advice, but windows update ate the 3 Gb I got so fast and still need to download 11 packages more, so I will try to free disk space somehow and install the required updates and IE in the end. However I know this stage is quite straight forward once I manage to get the free disk space, and I dont want to keep you busier these days just because of this simple remaining steps, so if you needt to close the thread then its ok, your help has been awesome and I really appreciate your efforts and patience, I owe you one, in relation to that I will send you a PM if thats right.

#65 Satchfan

Satchfan

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

As you say, this is now down to you making room but the updates are important and very necessary.

Did you run ATF Cleaner?

I would suggest that you uninstall some of the larger programs on your computer and install them as and when needed. This is a bit of a nuisance but until you resolve the space issue this is my only immediate suggestion.

I really appreciate your efforts and patience, I owe you one

I'm glad I could help and you owe nothing - we do this to fight the bad guys and helping return your computer to a clean state is thanks enough.

If you need any help with the space issue, our forum on Windows here may be of some assistance.

Safe computing

Satchfan

Member of UNITE

#66 Satchfan

Satchfan

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:36 AM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html
and start a New Topic.

Member of UNITE