Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Getting files of laptop to external.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Waterfall

Waterfall

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Okay, I have a Dell Inspirion 14z-N411z that was purchased in July 2012. Well, now I have to send it back to Dell and have the hard drive replaced. It will not boot. Just gets to the windows logo and stops. What I am trying to do is get my information off using the command prompt in the recovery console. It's not working. I have tried copy and xcopy. Some stuff went somewhere, but not to my external. How do I get my files before I send it in to Dell? Thank you guys! Forgot to mention. I have Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. Oh, and I have tried going back to a previous version, running system repair from com and repair cd. At first it was supposed to be a corrupt ACL file.

Edited by Waterfall, 13 November 2012 - 06:08 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

Hi Waterfall,
Glad to hear that you managed to copy off your important stuff... I guess its just a question now of you being able to find it?

I have tried copy and xcopy. Some stuff went somewhere, but not to my external.

1 It would be good to copy the data files to an external (USB hard drive)...here's the information on how to do that:
http://www.sevenforu...ry-console.html

There are some alternatives:
2 You could boot into a live distro of Linux Puppy (which will run entirely within RAM) and use Puppy to copy across, folder by folder, to a memory stick or external USB hard drive, all your important stuff.
Details available from here:
http://puppylinux.or.....g Started.htm

3 I would be inclined not to remove the hard drive from your computer because of possible warranty implications, unless you receive and record Dell's agreement to this...if they do agree then you can use either a USB hard drive caddy or "slave/add" it to another computer. to copy across your data files.
If you are not comfortable working inside your computer or do not understand fully the personal safety and ESD (anti static) precautions necessary then you could ask a local competent computer technician to perform these actions for you.
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Waterfall

Waterfall

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

Thank you for your help. I tried option one. It did not work. No files on my external drive. Just to go over what I did. Load drivers. Navigate to C right click Users Copy Navigate to F (external) right click paste I tried it a few times in a folder and not. I am moving on to try option 2. Update: The Second Option worked great. I will be keeping the program.

Edited by Waterfall, 13 November 2012 - 09:09 PM.

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Waterfall Good to hear that the offered solution helped. Thanks for letting us know. :thumbup: Good luck with Dell!
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.