Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Printing over the network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dconant1

dconant1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

I have 5 computers on my home network. Only one laptop (Windows 7 OS) is connected to the Samsung 2510 printer. I would like to get the other four (2 XP laptops, 1 Vista Desktop, 1 XP Desktop) to print to the Samsung. How do I do that? Dick

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

I don't know that printer, and couldn't guide personally on how to do it, but Samsung have a networking guide that you can follow, and hopefully that will get you sorted, hope it helps.
Samsung Guide Type Networking into the FAQ's search box, and it's the 2nd link.

*edit
Couldn't link directly to the specific FAQ.

Edited by 8210GUY, 10 November 2012 - 09:39 AM.

Braindead

#3 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Right click on the printer in Devices and Printers and select Printer Properties. Click on the Sharing tab then check the Share this printer box. Click Apply and OK. The printer should now be visible on the network. The easiest way I've found to add a shared printer is to open Network Places and browse to the printer on the Windows 7 system. Double click on it and it will be installed.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#4 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

Dconant1 - technically speaking, as referenced by my colleagues, sharing a printer is quite simple. In reality, you are asking to share a printer between three different operating systems and most likely two differnet architectures (32-bit and 64-bit). I read up on this printer and it appears it may already be "network ready" so that you can attach this printer directly to your network which will make using this printer from all the computers in the house a breeze. In your situation, using a "network ready" printer attached directly to the network is certainly the preferred way to go now a days. Many new printers even have wireless built in so you just connect them to your wireless network and print from any computer. If your printer is network ready, unhook it from your laptop, plug it directly into your network router/switch with an ethernet cable and configure it according to the manual from Samsung. Then, all you have to do is download and install the software for each operating system and architecture. If you share through your Windows 7 machine, I can only say good luck. You will not only have to load the 64-bit drivers on your Windows 7 machine (assuming it is 64-bit), you will have to figure out how to load the 32-bit drivers along with it so that your Vista and XP machines can work with it. In addition, there is no shortage of un-necessary complication added into Windows 7 with the homegroups feature. And ofcourse, your WIndows 7 laptop will have to be on and available at all times for anybody else to print. If its network ready, it just really doesn't make any sense to share a printer through another computer.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.