Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

upgrading from an amd fx-4100advice please.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ally

Ally

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Hi, this time last year I sold my intel core 2 duo 3.3ghz PC to a relative and bought a new PC with an AMD FX-4100 processor.
I was bitterly dissapointed with this processor as I think many people were.
My Motherboard in my PC is a GA-M68MT-S2 rev 3.1 and I was having a look at the CPU support list for it.
I would like to replace my fx 4100 but am not sure which CPU to go for....I was considering this processor as I don't want to change my Motherboard :
AMD FX-8120
But I don't know if I am taking a step backwards or forwards or just going for a similar type cpu.
I think this link shows what cpu's my mobo will support http://uk.gigabyte.c...p.aspx?pid=3967

I mainly use my PC for video converting,could someone give me advice which cpu to go for or should I just stick with the FX-4100 for now?
Any help appreciated.
thanks.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

more cores is always better when it comes to video converting so the 8 core 8120 is definitely a step up from the 4 core 4100, and i've read where someone got the 8150 working on that motherboard too, but to be honest i just don't know how much of a step up your talking about in the real world. seconds or minutes difference per encoding? shrugs so i can't give you a yay or nay answer on whether it's worth the upgrade but if your not going to change the whole platform then i don't see why you shouldn't go for it. :popcorn:

#3 Ally

Ally

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Thanks Terry. I think I might aswell try it it can't be any worse than the fx4100 anyway. :)