Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Online scanners and false positives (two files)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 little.red

little.red

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

I have two programs that I've downloaded (one an .exe and one a .zip) and was just virus scanning them. I haven't opened either yet. The downloads are linked to from the official sites (you know how some are hosted at download.com or places like that?), but they're old so are no longer supported by the creators. I thought I'd just double check them and upload them to VirusTotal. One of them (an .exe) showed up as a positive for one - Win32.TrojanC2Lop on ESAFE (I've never heard of ESAFE before though). None of the other 40 AVs picked up anything. The ZIP file didn't show any detections. I figured it was a false positive, but then read about another online scan (Jotti) through BleepingComputers. I decided to run both files through again. I like to be sure. The EXE file that had nothing appear through VT now appears as having PUA.Win32.Packer.UpxProtector through Clam AV (another one I've never heard of). None of the other 19 AVs showed anything. The ZIP file that showed as having the trojan on VT shows nothing on Jotti. I'm assuming these are false positives...but wanting to hear from other people :). They're from the official site (file doesn't appear to have been updated in about 7 years), it is not detected consistently, I haven't heard of either AV that found a problem (plus packer sounds like something to do with the unzipping of the file?).

Advertisements

Register to Remove