Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

netbook is running as if on dial up

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Hi Colin, The details of your operating system underneath your name etc is shown as Win XP and I have been provding recommendations based upon this. If you are getting a message about running in "elevated mode" then this generally indicates a later operating system such as Vista or Win7... if this is the case then please update your profile with the correct OS and then run the commands with elevated privileges (Right click and select "Run as Administrator") Let us know if this helps Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 colinvansmith

colinvansmith

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

I'm really sorry I didn't even think of that your right it is windows 7 starter

#18 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

did the netbook come with xp installed and you've recently upgraded to win 7? if so then this may be the cause of your slowdown.. win 7 needs a lot more hardware resources (like memory) for it to run efficiently, where as xp will run on lower spec hardware without any problems. :popcorn:

#19 colinvansmith

colinvansmith

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:39 AM

No I bought it a few months back with windows 7 starter pre installed

#20 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:11 AM

Hi Colin,
No problem
Here are the revised instructions for Win 7
To run chkdsk with the r switch
Click Start>All Programs>Accessories>and then
Right click the command prompt and click Run as Administrator
The DOS box (looks like a DOS box!) will open
Follow previous directions
You will probably get a UAC warning..if you do Click Continue

You can run the sfc /scannow in a similar way
Let us know if you get any other outputs on your VDU
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#21 colinvansmith

colinvansmith

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

Hiya i ran both the scans you recommended no integrity violations were found. Col

#22 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

Hi Colin, Ok Next step is to use System Restore and reset your computer back in time to when it was running fast and sweet...at least one week before the "slows" started. Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and select a date at least before the problem started. See if this does the treick Note System restore should not affect your data files.... Regards paws

#23 colinvansmith

colinvansmith

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

hiya, i tried a system restore, my computer will only allow me to restore to two points, earlier today and the 13th of this month both are not far enough back to before the problems started

#24 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

HiColin, OK
The next step is to try and boot your computer into safe mode with networking.....
here's some more information on this:
http://windows.micro...er-in-safe-mode
See if this helps speed up your use of the computer....
Test it but please be aware that your protections will not be fully effective (firewall etc.,) whilst running in safe mode with networking so absolutely no downloading of emails and when testing the net.... visit only one trusted site for a duration of no longer than 2 minues e.g.
www.bbc.co.uk
Let us know if this mode of working helps avoid the slows
Regards
paws

#25 colinvansmith

colinvansmith

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

I ran it in safe mode with networking, it ran way quicker whilst in this mode but when i restarted the computer in normal mode it is still really slow :( col

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hi Colin, We are beginning to zero in on the problems.... In safe mode only a minimal set of drivers are loaded, just enough to allow Windows to run...... When you boot into normal load then a great amount of other stuff is loaded..... so we can deduce that one or more of the things that are loading in normal mode (but not in safe mode are maybe prime suspects... So we just have to find the culprits..... Here's a plan of attack for your consideration: Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem How to use msconfig in Win 7 Click on Start then, type in the search box msconfig press Enter. Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button. Reboot and see if it runs better. (You will need to accept any warnings) If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit. If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab. Check/tick the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button. Again, do a boot into normal mode see if it runs OK. If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit. Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or report back with your findings. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best. Enable everything else you disabled.. Let us know things go Regards paws

Edited by paws, 17 November 2012 - 10:41 AM.