Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Monitor detected but no display.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Xian

Eric Xian

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

It says my monitor is detected but their is no display. It shows that either the monitor wasnt synced but when I first used that monitor It worked perfectly alone. The monitor is SyncMaster920Nw Samsung and this is my PC setup.
https://docs.google....hRZ2ZNZVE#gid=0

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:27 PM

couple of questions

It says my monitor is detected

so it works on boot but not when it gets into windows?

are you using 2 screens together? your link shows an asus monitor, if so then the 2nd monitor may need to be setup for dual screens in your graphics settings before it will show a display

if your only using one monitor boot into safe mode and see if you get a display, if you do then maybe you need to change the screen resolution/refresh rate in your graphics settings to a lower setting before it will work.

:popcorn:

#3 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

You might test that monitor on another computer too.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#4 Eric Xian

Eric Xian

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

my second screen which is the samsung works on the other pc. I have the driver installed for it too .

#5 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:26 AM

still not 100% sure what your doing, but did you connect the samsung to the pc that doesn't show a display. when you start the pc does it show anything on the screen before it loads the windows os? if yes then turn the pc off then start it again but this time keep tapping the F8 key from the time you start the pc this should then show you an options menu(you can stop tapping the F8 key when it appears) with different boot options for the windows os, choose the boot into safe mode option and see if it will now give you a display when it boots into windows. if it does now display a picture in safe mode then you may need to update the graphics and monitor drivers in device manager or set the screen resolution to a size and frequency that the samsung monitor can display like 1024x768@60hz or 1280x1024 @ 60hz to be honest i think it might just be a resolution problem. the pc screen setting was probably set for a resolution that the asus could display but is greater than the samsung can display and that's why it shows no picture (if so you usually get a message saying out of range or something on the monitor). this happens because with some older monitors they do not report back to the pc what display resolution they are capable of so the pc won't automatically set a lower resolution than whats already been set in the graphics software and you have to do it manually. :popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 26 October 2012 - 03:28 AM.

#6 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

my second screen which is the samsung works on the other pc. I have the driver installed for it too .

I am not sure I understand the problem. You have two computers. The Samsung monitor works fine on computer 2, but not on computer 1. Right?

Have you tried a known good monitor on computer 1?
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#7 Eric Xian

Eric Xian

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

I have one computer that I want to run 2 monitors with . I tested my second monitor which was the Samsung with my dad's computer and the Samsung worked . But now if I connect the Samsung to my computer to extend the displays . It allows me but I still see a black screen .

#8 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:36 AM

ok you probably just need to set it up correctly but first check both outputs from your graphics card work with only one monitor connected.
to do this connect one monitor only to one display connection and boot the pc and see if you get a display then turn off pc and move it to the other display connection and boot the pc and see if you get a display also, if one conection doesn't show a display then there may be a hardware fault with the graphics card.

before we can give you a step by step dual monitor setup guide we need to know what operating system you are using and what graphics you have, nvidia/amd (ok i see from your earlier link you have an amd hd 6870 graphics card.)

see if this link helps you. :- http://www.microsoft...bid=D5Ipuu4eqVa

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 27 October 2012 - 03:00 AM.

#9 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:44 AM

And how are you trying to connect the 2nd computer? While there are several (many) card makers using the AMD HD 6870 GPU, it appears they all support dual-DVI connections. That's good. But do both monitors support DVI?

Edited by Digerati, 27 October 2012 - 05:44 AM.

Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#10 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

not sure what your getting at here digerati, yes the card has 2 dvi outputs, but why do the monitors need dvi inputs? i use dvi to vga for my monitors. :popcorn: ah i think i see what you mean, one of the dvi outputs on that card is digital only dvi-d while the other is dvi-i so at least one of his monitors needs to have a digital input, either that or he'll need a digital to analogue converter to use a 2nd vga monitor. (must admit i've only had cards with dual dvi-i connections, so never thought about one being dvi-d only.) ok did a quick google search and seems the samsung is vga but the asus has dvi-d so the top dvi connection on the card will give a display on the samsung but the bottom one won't, therefore the samsung needs to be connected to the top dvi output on the card with a dvi to vga adaptor and the asus needs to be connected to the bottom dvi output on the card with a dvi to dvi cable for a dual monitor setup with his two monitors.

Edited by terry1966, 27 October 2012 - 08:58 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

not sure what your getting at here digerati, yes the card has 2 dvi outputs, but why do the monitors need dvi inputs? i use dvi to vga for my monitors.

And, in theory, that should not be an issue. In theory, you should be able to mix and match monitor sizes and input types with no problems at all. On one of my systems, I have a 24" widescreen via DVI and a 17" 4:3 via D-Sub (analog, VGA) and it works fine. But sadly, I have seen too often where Windows, the graphics solution, drivers, or something does not cooperate, and only identical setups did.

Part of the problem may be your DVI-D vs DVI-I observation. Frankly, I don't know. Either way, even the latest operating systems sometimes have little issues. For one, they seem to get confused occasionally as to which monitor is primary and which is secondary. So a multi-monitor utility is almost a necessity. My favorite is UltraMon – not free, but worth it. Others have suggested the free DisplayFusion, but I have no experience with it.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#12 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

nice to know, must admit i'd never heard of ultramon or displayfusion (or don't remember anyway ), but then again i've never run into the problems you've experienced so never needed to look for alternative software solutions from the usual amd catalyst software or nvidia's software for setting up my dual monitor systems plus i've only ever used xp for any length of time with a dual monitors besides my usual linux setup. :thumbup: :popcorn:

#13 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

Well, I've been using Ultramon for about 10 years - not just to keep problems sorted, but for the smart taskbar too. Either way, I can't live without two monitors and don't understand how anyone can. This is one (or two) BIG reasons why I will never migrate all my computing chores to a tiny smartphone or tablet.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#14 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

only reason i need 2 monitors is so i can watch mythtv on one. :rofl: yes i agree smartphones and tablets will never take over from a desktop with dual monitors for any serious work at least not for a long time to come yet. :thumbup: :popcorn:

#15 Eric Xian

Eric Xian

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

Okay I tried booting up with only the Samsung plugged in and there was nothing. But the Asus works. But I remember before I would be able to use the Samsung monitor alone fine, not sure why it doesnt work now. Also I am running Windows 7

Edited by Eric Xian, 27 October 2012 - 11:35 AM.