Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Couldn't open firefox

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 PattiChati

PattiChati

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

I tried opening Firefox and I couldn't get it for over 2 hours. Opened in safe mode, opened through IE, turned off computer and let it set, nothing helped. Then when it did open in safe mode, it wouldn't open FF, so I went to open Word, Excel and other things and FF finally opened, have no idea why. Now I have it going, but the screen is mostly white, no cute icons or colors or anything. How do I get that back. Also, in one of the notes I wrote down was to update Adobe Flash Player. I don't even have that. Should I download it? What does that have to do with trouble with yahoo. Could you direct me to a place that works with yahoo, because I have been having lots of trouble with it, never this bad, but lots of trouble none the less. Thanks. Patti

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 PattiChati

PattiChati

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

I don't know about you but I am always having trouble with my FF. I have version 8.0. Just took me 2 hours to get on it. But I can never get on the page, it gives me errors, etc. I was just hoping we could start a forum on that, because if I am having these problems, and people I google do, I am sure some of those do too. Let me know. Thanks.

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

Questions about FireFox and/or Yahoo email, can be posted in: What the Tech > Software > Browsers, Internet and email

Please give that sub-Forum a try.
Let me know if you do not get sufficient response to your FireFox and/or Yahoo email questions when posting in that sub-Forum.

Best Regards

Edit: I'll move your topic to that Forum.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#4 PattiChati

PattiChati

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

Thanks so much, I will give it a try!!! :thumbup:

#5 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

HiPattiChati,
Sorry to hear of the problems you have been experiencing....
You say here:

I am always having trouble with my FF. I have version 8.0.

Is there any reason you are using an old version of FF rather the up to date one?
http://downloads.yahoo.com/firefox/
Do you have similar problems when using Internet Explorer?
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#6 PattiChati

PattiChati

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

Firefox is 14.0.1. I have no idea why I said 8.0, maybe that was yahoo or IE or the heat in my house, I don't know. Are we going back to the other thread of internet, email, etc? We haven't even started troubleshooting my problem and already my head is spinning. It is 9:30 and does shut down at 4:00 (for your ears only). I appreciate your help, I really do, just am not computer savvy at all and worry too much.

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:18 AM

Hi PattiChati,
No, lets stick with this thread here (otherwise it gets confusing for folks trying to find your posts!)
Can you tell us the answer the question I asked earlier please?

Do you have similar problems when using Internet Explorer?

Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#8 PattiChati

PattiChati

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

So you don't start a new thread if it is a new problem with the machine, correct?

#9 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:16 AM

Hi PattiChati If its a different problem or a different computer then its best to start a new topic.... However its also best to only deal with one thing at a time.... Get the first problem sorted out and then move on to the next.... otherwise if you start making system changes to correct one problem and at the same time make other system changes for a different problem then everone will end up confused. Hope this helps regards paws

#10 PattiChati

PattiChati

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

I have a Dell computer, windows 7 version 6.1 service pack 1 and Firefox 14.01 FIREFOX ERRORS RECEIVED A connection has occurred. Yahoo! Mail was unable to connect. Please reload the page or verify that your network connection is active. Server not found, Firefox can't find the server at www.mozilla.org Server not found Firefox can't find the server at us.mg6.mail.yahoo.com. Some of the problems that I am having are: When I go to pictures, there are no pics there, just blank icons, I use to have pics. I do have them if I go to Windows Gallery Takes very long to load, circle just goes around and around. I have cleaned cache, etc. Sometimes if I reboot it helps for awhile. There are no longer any icons on desktop, they are still hidden on the side which I like, but none on the desktop which I want. When writing an email, all the “emoticons”, format” “spam”, etc – all that stuff is just a black bar, not wordsl the regular size. The URL, file, edit are all reall tiny. I got the rest of the fonts everywhere else good. When you send me an answer and it is from WINDOWS HELP TUTORIAL – where do you find those. Maybe I could find some answers and wouldn’t have to bother you. I try googling them, but no luck. And lastly, how can I install more fonts on email. I saw where there are different fonts and they suggest just doing the shortcut since the whole font would take up too much room. When I receive emails from people there are all different fonts. Now, this is what I was talking about, do we do all this in one fell swoop, or take one at a time – I really don’t understand your forum.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 PattiChati

PattiChati

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

I should also say it won't keep yahoo as my home page, keeps popping back to babylon all the time, even though I uninstalled babylon. Also, I was having some problems with my computer and so decided to restore back about a week. Since that time, that is when I started having all these weird things happening like the blacked out bars and babylon and not the normal stuff. Just thought any info I could give you would help. Thanks. :lol:

#12 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

You seem to have several wayward issues happening on your PC and I think Paws is waiting on more info. to unravel them.
If these problems are not happening in Internet Explorer(?), that info would be most helpful to him.

In the meantime ...

You have uninstalled Babylon from your computer, yet your home page in Firefox still opens with Babylon?

If this describes you, the below (copied) instructions seems to work for people with the exact same problem.

1. In the location bar, type about:config and hit Enter.

2. In the filter at the top, type: keyword.URL

3. Double click it and remove whatever is in there. You'll see it revert to "Default" and "String".

4. Go to File | Exit

5. Restart Firefox, go to the site you want to set as your homepage.

6. Go to Tools | Options | General.

7. Make sure it says "Show My Homepage" in the first drop-down menu.

8, Click the button called "Use Current Pages" to set the homepage to the one you have on the screen.

Cheers,
Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#13 PattiChati

PattiChati

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

I don't know why I didn't get an email saying someone had answered, I usually do. I just happened to run by this page. So paws is on this thread, right? One more thing that is happening is my other programs like, Hallmark Cards, Adobe Photoshop won't fit on the page, they are too big. I am so scared I am not going to be able to fix this. I will try your idea to get rid of Babylon though. Thanks.

#14 PattiChati

PattiChati

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

After I typed in the url bar about:config it gave me a long list of stuff and said it would void the warranty, but I don't know what that whole list was and didn't touch it for fear I would louse it up even more.

#15 PattiChati

PattiChati

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

Some of it is happening in IE. I have my inbox back with the stuff not blacked out. I can see the spam, mark read or unread box and on the format, I get the information and emoticons. But my other programs are still too big. for the page.Please encourage me that we can fix this??