Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Random Lag spikes Please Help

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jirafaro

Jirafaro

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:46 PM

Hey, Im in Dire need of Help because the random lag spikes are driving me crazy!! -I Came home from College only to experience severe lag spikes in the middle of playing both LoL and Tera and also while browsing the web and watching streams. -I've Contacted Comcast and they've ran tests and told me the problem is NOT on their end. -I've reset both my computer and the router. -I have updated my computer with all of the Windows updates. -When i was In my Dorm I didn't experience the lag spikes EVER and now that im home they are frequent. -The spikes are happening 24/7 reguardless of if other people are or are not using the internet. -In the middle of playing a game of LoL my Ping will go from a playable 50 to a horrendous 300-400 or even upwards of 1k at times. -The Lag spikes occur reguardless of programs running in the background or lack of programs running in the background. -I've tried running the games on a Game Booster yet i still have the lag spikes. -I ran the PC Pit stop Test and the only thing I had to Fix was to clear my cache. (which i have done) -My cousin was over at my house in february and was experiencing the same lag issues with me at the time, however i've been unable to test other computers because i'd have to install the games onto their devices and noone wants the games on their computers. Please Help this lag problem has been driving me crazy and i just want to find out what is wrong so i can fix it !!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:06 AM

Test the internet connection speed using your own computer.

And then do the same with a machine that is regularly there at home.

Are the upload/download speeds the same for both machines?
Are the speeds in range of what Comcast is advertising that you should receive?

http://www.speedtest.net/
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Jirafaro

Jirafaro

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:51 AM

I had 16 ping, 1.45 mb download, and .31 mb upload the other computer had 9 ping, 1.38 mb download, and .27 upload

#4 Jirafaro

Jirafaro

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:53 AM

And i dont Know what speed we should be getting from comcast as Im not the one that pays for it, all i know is that we have DSL Comcast.

#5 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

-I Came home from College only to experience severe lag spikes in the middle of playing both LoL and Tera and also while browsing the web and watching streams.
-I've Contacted Comcast and they've ran tests and told me the problem is NOT on their end.
-I've reset both my computer and the router.

You had previously contacted Comcast.
Ask them what speeds a subscription at your location should expect.
Compare that to what you're actually getting.
If actual speed is substantially less, you may want to ask your parents or the owner of the Comcast subscription to request attention from Comcast for service.

#6 Jirafaro

Jirafaro

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

You had previously contacted Comcast. Ask them what speeds a subscription at your location should expect. Compare that to what you're actually getting. If actual speed is substantially less, you may want to ask your parents or the owner of the Comcast subscription to request attention from Comcast for service. I Dont pay for the Internet so Comcast wont disclose that information with me, and my dad who does pay for it is too busy and he doesn't use the internet so he doesn't care if it does or does not work. HOWEVER, I doubt the speed of internet we get or should get from comcast could be the issue as that would mean my constant speed would be less or more than intended whereas the speed Im getting is perfectly fine its just that im getting lag spikes that dramatically increase my ping and make game playing unavailable.

#7 Jirafaro

Jirafaro

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

I also recall doing multiple speed tests while talking to comcast and the results I had were on par.

#8 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

I had 16 ping, 1.45 mb download, and .31 mb upload
the other computer had 9 ping, 1.38 mb download, and .27 upload

Others may be able to provide a techical explanation of your presenting problem and possibly some procedures to assist you.

From the information you've provided so far, you had been enjoying League of Legends and the comedically stylish characters of Tera Online using this same computer from internet access provided at your College location with no problem, but are now experiencing game-crippling lag periodically when connected to the same activities via your Home Comcast ISP.

You mention that a cousin also experienced the same problematic situation in February.

May we presume that you believe you could resume uninterrupted play with this same machine, if you returned to your College location, and further assume that you are not experiencing any additional problematic symptoms with this machine at this Home location??

The download/upload speeds you report, you believe to be sufficient for this game play?

My observation: by way of comparison, I have a DSL connection over telephone line here at my location. Typically I would expect that Cable would be delivering substantially faster greater rates of download/upload than what I am able to enjoy with my simple DSL connection here.

However, my download speeds are about 3 times greater than your reported speed, and my upload is about twice as fast.
I rarely experience problems with my DSL, but the very few occasions on which I have had problems, the speeds dropped to similar to what you report.
At those times, I had a slow laggy experience of general browsing, and episodically had lag/stutter/buffering when attempting to view streaming video.
I don't do gaming, so I don't have a good comparison experience to provide.

Is it possible that your current Comcast connection simply isn't fast enough to accommodate this gaming activity?

#9 Jirafaro

Jirafaro

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

I had 16 ping, 1.45 mb download, and .31 mb upload
the other computer had 9 ping, 1.38 mb download, and .27 upload

Others may be able to provide a techical explanation of your presenting problem and possibly some procedures to assist you.

From the information you've provided so far, you had been enjoying League of Legends and the comedically stylish characters of Tera Online using this same computer from internet access provided at your College location with no problem, but are now experiencing game-crippling lag periodically when connected to the same activities via your Home Comcast ISP.

You mention that a cousin also experienced the same problematic situation in February.

May we presume that you believe you could resume uninterrupted play with this same machine, if you returned to your College location, and further assume that you are not experiencing any additional problematic symptoms with this machine at this Home location??

The download/upload speeds you report, you believe to be sufficient for this game play?

My observation: by way of comparison, I have a DSL connection over telephone line here at my location. Typically I would expect that Cable would be delivering substantially faster greater rates of download/upload than what I am able to enjoy with my simple DSL connection here.

However, my download speeds are about 3 times greater than your reported speed, and my upload is about twice as fast.
I rarely experience problems with my DSL, but the very few occasions on which I have had problems, the speeds dropped to similar to what you report.
At those times, I had a slow laggy experience of general browsing, and episodically had lag/stutter/buffering when attempting to view streaming video.
I don't do gaming, so I don't have a good comparison experience to provide.

Is it possible that your current Comcast connection simply isn't fast enough to accommodate this gaming activity?

Yes I believe If i returned To college i'd be able to play without any lag, my reason to believe that is because I experienced the same lag issues in February with my cousin that I am experiencing now, the only difference is that before they started out as lag spikes but evolved into a constant 1k+ ping whenever trying to play LoL. I also believe that I am not experiencing any other problematic symptoms other than the massive lag spikes.

I Do believe that the Download / Upload speeds i currently have are sufficient for playing the games because while at College I had similar speeds during the night and was able to play without any lag at all. I'm Not certain, but I still do believe that the ISP is not the issue, because that wouldn't explain why I have a great connection for every 4 out of 5 minutes and a shitty connection for every 1 out of 5 minutes. I'd assume that the 'Great connection' I have while playing the games without the lag is the type of connection comcast is supposed to be delivering, however, the 1 out of 5 minutes where I get god awful lag spikes are not up to par with what comcast has said I should be getting, but is comcast at fault for the 20% of bad connection I am currently having or is it another issue ? I'd assume it is another issue because for the greater majority of the time my connection is just as good as any other players connection. I've had two friends (at different houses) run the exact same speed test that I ran while playing this game and they both had Far better Download and Upload speeds than I did even while at college and while at home and the ping they had was about 5-10 ping higher than mine was at the time; leading me to believe that the quality of internet I was getting was just fine for gaming.

You mentioned that My Upload / Download speeds were similar to yours when you were experiencing problems with your connection, what did you do to fix your speeds ?

#10 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

You mentioned that My Upload / Download speeds were similar to yours when you were experiencing problems with your connection, what did you do to fix your speeds ?

I insisted that AT&T send a lineman out at their expense to change my connection at the neighborhood distribution terminal box.

Fresh connection at their box... instantly improved Internet download/upload at my house.
No problem ever since.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

Tell us about the modem and router used with Comcast.

#12 Jirafaro

Jirafaro

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

The Router is a Linksys Cisco Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router. The Model is : WRT320N The Modem is a Motorola Surfboard The Model is : SB6120 We also have a Gigabit 8-port work group switch ( Linksys ) The model is : EG008W Version 3 My dad also Told me that we are supposed to be getting a max of 1.5 mb download speed and a max of .5 mb upload speed so we are getting the correct speeds advertised by comcast.

#13 Jirafaro

Jirafaro

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:21 AM

I just got done with a game that lasted about 25 minutes and throughout the entire game I was at 200 ping - 1k ping and there were spikes where my internet was below 100 ping. I ran a test on Speedtest.net and I had 64 ping, .77 mb download and .37 mb upload The Previous test when everything was working fine resulted in 16 ping, about 1.4 mb download and around the same mb upload.

Edited by Jirafaro, 12 May 2012 - 01:27 AM.

#14 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

You do seem to have decent hardware equipment there at your Home location.

Since your machine was functioning just fine when at the College location, I would be reluctant to change the TCP/IP settings of your machine.
But that is what gamers seem to do, when they are trying to solve lag problems when gaming.

Here's a thread that includes suggested values for MTU and MSS, as well as for Receive Window Size
http://forums.speedg...ing-Issue/page2
MSS - 1452
MTU -1492
Reccomended RWINs: 63888, 127776, 255552, 511104

And here is a link to a utility you may select to use for diagnostics and settings.
http://www.speedguid...tamp=1336839211
NOTE I don't use this utility, nor do I endorse it. This is simply For Your Information.
No implied benefit. Your mileage may vary. >> USE at your own Risk. <<

#15 Jirafaro

Jirafaro

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

Im looking at the program right now and i dont See Half of the things that are reccommended to be changed ?? Is it because Im using the new version 3.0.8?