Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Will not let me change my homepage

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tdodd00

tdodd00

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

Yesterday I was logging on to my own bank and somehow Bank of America (which is NOT my bank) came up as my homepage and now, no matter what I do, it will not let me change it. I typically have Yahoo!, and I have tried a couple of different ways to change it back and it just won't work. I am running Windows 7. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Edited by tdodd00, 02 May 2012 - 08:23 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

What have you tried? Normally you can go to Yahoo, then click on Tools (or the round gear if Win 7 and IE9) then select Internet Options. Click on the Use Current button.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 tdodd00

tdodd00

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:49 AM

As I explained in my original post I have tried it a couple of ways. One being, just what you said Tools>Options>Current location (also tried default, which showed it being Yahoo!). I was also told to try "dragging" the Yahoo icon from the toolbar to the little house...also did not work. It still goes back to the B of A homepage.

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

Yesterday I was logging on to my own bank and somehow Bank of America (which is NOT my bank) came up as my homepage and now, no matter what I do, it will not let me change it. I typically have Yahoo!, and I have tried a couple of different ways to change it back and it just won't work. I am running Windows 7. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

It is possible that you may have become infected by malware when you attempted to log-in to your own bank, but instead ended up at BofA.
This could have happened if you made a mistake when entering the address, or if you used a search engine and clicked on a wrong link.

However, other factors may limit your ability to change IE Homepage:

such as:
Spybot Search & Destroy
Other AntiVirus / AntiMalware products? what are you running on that machine?
Perhaps an IE add-on

If you have Spybot, temporarily disable it, then attempt to change Homepage
or
Load IE as "Run As Administrator" then attempt to change Homepage
(remember to close that instance of IE before doing any general browsing)

You may benefit from posting for a checkup over in our Malware Removal Forum: http://forums.whatth...hp?showforum=27
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

You may also have installed software that prevents the home page from being changed. Some Anti-virus and Firewall software does this as well as software like Spybot Search & Destroy with the Tea timer option active.

Rich

#6 tdodd00

tdodd00

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:53 AM

No Spybot and no new software installed. I guess I will try the Malware Removal link because nothing else seems to be working!

#7 SuHouLadoo

SuHouLadoo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

OK I have just discovered the exact same problem on a user's computer running Vista - both Firefox and IE9 are set to hxxps://www.bankofamerica.com, and NOTHING will let me reset them! Running AV and malware scans but nothing yet.

#8 hmarfell84

hmarfell84

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:56 AM

My Explorer lets me change my homepage but after closing & re-opening, it always defaults to BING search which is not my homepage. This is annoying as carp**. I already uninstalled the toolbar that my computer says was doing it, but it's still running on my computer anyway. How do I get rid of it?

#9 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

Reset IE. You didn't say what OS or what version of IE but a Google search for reset ie should give you the info you need.

Rich

#10 hmarfell84

hmarfell84

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

Finally found the answer in internet Options, it had 'appbarrio' set as my default search...and for some reason that was automatically resetting my homepage every few seconds. I deactivated & removed that, now my homepage stays fine... Don't ever install anything called 'appbarrio' it is spammy as heck!

#11 mrcreigs

mrcreigs

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

I've had a friend who had the same problem .. tried to reset it by going to options ... all the links to the home page are whited out so you can't change them ...even after following the directions on reseting Internet Explorer 10 ...  so as a last resort I opened another tab on my IE version 10 and after having two tabs open ... typed in the homepage I wanted on the  second tab... I was able to make the new home page as my default home page ...as this option was offered on the tabbed page .. this worked ... but seems to be the only way to do it ? And when I go back to the options page even though I got the new hompage as my Default .. It is still whited out and unable to change from the internet opiions page .. but atleast I got my homepage back ...

mrcreigs

#12 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

You should try resetting IE:  How to reset Internet Explorer settings

Then set you default home page and change any other settings.

Rich

#13 kBishop5

kBishop5

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

I've had problems with appbarrio myself, it is an absolute nightmare to fix.

#14 VigienLen

VigienLen

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

If so, I guess your computer may have been infected with redirect virus. If you have  no clue on how to deal with your problem,

Link removed - no malware removal outside the malware forum here: http://forums.whatth...hp?showforum=27  - Z

Edited by Ztruker, 14 August 2014 - 08:12 PM.