Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome Guest to What the Tech - Register now for FREE

We specialize in the removal of malicious software (malware), but here you'll find free help and support for all your tech questions. We invite you to ask questions, share experiences, and learn. Explore our message boards, or register now to post messages of your own. Please Start Here. Register today (registration removes advertising)

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

system died

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tuxedo

tuxedo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hi guys, I feel so stupid, I was helped yesterday by the great people of this forum, but after following advice to install a different virus program (which was working) I was not satisfied with it and downloaded another. AVG I chose, but after install and the reboot all I get is windows tries to restart and shuts down, the system then opens up asking if I want to restart at the last known working, or safe mode and I can't get past that plaese help. Tuxedo :pullhair:

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hi tuxedo, Sorry to hear of the problem with your computer. I take it you cant get into safe mode, or safe mode with networking and last known good configuration is still not able to get you into Windows is that correct? If that is the case then the top priority is to check that your back up of all your important stuff, files, photos, music, videos, docs, spreadsheets address books, contact lists, emails, favourites, bookmarks, dowloaded executable files, serial or product licence keys including the one for Windows itself etc(in fact anything on your computer that is important to you and that you wouldn't want to lose). is all 100%, up to date, reproducible, and with at least one extra copy kept safe on removable media (offsite) If you need help on checking this or backing up anything missing from your last regular back up, post back here and we can let you have instructions on how to do it. Whilst you are doing this try and locate your Microsoft XP installation disc and keep it somewhere handy as you may well need it. Regards paws

#3 tuxedo

tuxedo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

Hi Paws, Thanks for the quick response, I have everything I need backed up and would be happy to follow instructions. I can get into safe mode but when it opens I only get half a screen and cannot move the screen to read a full page. I have been into the BIOS and tried to change the boot order but to no avail. hope you can help. I obviously have acess to another p.c. so will be able to stay with the site.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hi tuxedo, That's good to hear that everything is backed up Ok
:thumbup:
I would suggest that as the "first aid" treatment, you use a System Restore Point to set back your computer in time to a point just before the problem started.
Here's a link to show you how to do it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
Let us know if this does the trick for you.
Regards
paws

#5 tuxedo

tuxedo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

Sorry Paws, Have just tried system restore with comand prompt but nothing just back to the screen start normal or safe mode.

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Hi tuxedo Thats a shame that System Restore didn't work...its also indicative of greater problems within your computer.... From the command prompt try this command chkdsk /f accept any warnings and if necessary reboot when its done from the command prompt try chkdsk /r and when thats done again from a command prompt sfc /scannow note in each case the space immediately before the / it needs to be there. Let us know if this helps Have you located your Microsoft Windows XP installation disc yet? Regards paws

#7 tuxedo

tuxedo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

Hi Paws, Sorry been at work, followed the first command prompt and got the message the type of the file is NTFS. cannot lock current drive. chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system starts (y/n) I tried yes but just came back to screen for safe start. sorry

#8 tuxedo

tuxedo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

Paws, please disregard the last message, at the command prompt I used a lower case (y) and therefore nothing :scratch: after placing the correct (Y) I then had a long list of drivers and a bit of a wait, then woooopeeee! the system rebooted. AVG after a while asked again for a reboot which I did then after letting the system boot normally a couple of times windows opened up. after sending this I am going for another restart, to see if all is good or just a fluke. I think there maybe a underlying problem which if we have the system running we can find. thanks for your understanding, tuxedo

#9 tuxedo

tuxedo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

Sorry Paws, I have just had a couple of crashes so from previous help I had from WTT, I have attached a crash file below: System Information (local) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- computer name: OWNER-44C5E63C2 windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600 windows dir: C:\WINDOWS CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Pentium® D CPU 2.80GHz Intel586, level: 15 2 logical processors, active mask: 3 RAM: 1875914752 total VM: 2147352576, free: 2033688576 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Crash Dump Analysis -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump Crash dumps are enabled on your computer. On Tue 10/04/2012 15:32:34 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini041012-03.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x69585) Bugcheck code: 0x1000000A (0x1C, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF80540585) Error: CUSTOM_ERROR file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time. On Tue 10/04/2012 14:29:47 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini041012-02.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7A5A1) Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF805515A1, 0xFFFFFFFFA725D974, 0x0) Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time. On Tue 10/04/2012 14:06:01 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini041012-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7AAE2) Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF80551AE2, 0xFFFFFFFFA74F89B8, 0x0) Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time. On Mon 09/04/2012 15:30:13 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini040912-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x29460) Bugcheck code: 0x1000000A (0xFFFFFFFFD24D998C, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF80500460) Error: CUSTOM_ERROR file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time. On Sun 08/04/2012 09:44:51 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini040812-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: aswsp.sys (aswSP+0x15962) Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF8058055D, 0xFFFFFFFFA4E4AB34, 0x0) Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswsp.sys . Google query: aswsp.sys KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M On Sat 07/04/2012 22:55:03 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini040712-04.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7A5A1) Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF805515A1, 0xFFFFFFFFA7A86974, 0x0) Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time. On Sat 07/04/2012 17:32:19 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini040712-03.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: aswsp.sys (aswSP+0x15556) Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF8055196D, 0xFFFFFFFFA80B86EC, 0x0) Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswsp.sys . Google query: aswsp.sys KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M On Sat 07/04/2012 17:31:36 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini040712-02.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: aswmon2.sys (aswMon2+0x7409) Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF8055196D, 0xFFFFFFFFA6D4C818, 0x0) Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswmon2.sys . Google query: aswmon2.sys KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M On Sat 07/04/2012 17:22:10 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini040712-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x2A15) Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF8055196D, 0xFFFFFFFFA5F4FAA0, 0x0) Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: Multi-User Win32 Driver Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time. On Fri 06/04/2012 16:57:46 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini040612-04.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C64F) Bugcheck code: 0x1000000A (0x28, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF804F364F) Error: CUSTOM_ERROR file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time. On Fri 06/04/2012 16:57:05 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini040612-03.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x2AB4) Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF805515A1, 0xFFFFFFFFA7131444, 0x0) Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: Multi-User Win32 Driver Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time. On Fri 06/04/2012 14:30:47 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini040612-02.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: aswfsblk.sys (aswFsBlk+0x1771) Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF805515A1, 0xFFFFFFFFA5E83860, 0x0) Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswfsblk.sys . Google query: aswfsblk.sys KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M On Fri 06/04/2012 14:15:15 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini040612-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: igxpdx32.dll (igxpdx32+0x1D72A0) Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBF46E2A0, 0xFFFFFFFFA6574A58, 0x0) Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\igxpdx32.dll product: Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers for Windows NT® company: Intel Corporation description: DirectDraw® Driver for Intel® Graphics Technology Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: igxpdx32.dll (DirectDraw® Driver for Intel® Graphics Technology, Intel Corporation). Google query: igxpdx32.dll Intel Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M On Thu 05/04/2012 11:09:06 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini040512-06.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: aswmon2.sys (aswMon2+0x7409) Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0xCD4, 0x5010800, 0xFFFFFFFFE4AB4008) Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswmon2.sys . Google query: aswmon2.sys BAD_POOL_CALLER On Thu 05/04/2012 10:51:48 GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini040512-05.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x2A15) Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF8055196D, 0xFFFFFFFFA6C2C820, 0x0) Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: Multi-User Win32 Driver Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Conclusion -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 50 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 15 are included in this report. 5 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers: igxpdx32.dll (DirectDraw® Driver for Intel® Graphics Technology, Intel Corporation) aswfsblk.sys aswmon2.sys aswsnx.sys aswsp.sys If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems. Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information. Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further. Hope this helps find my problems, Thanks Tuxedo

#10 tuxedo

tuxedo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

sorry to be a pain but thought you should know I have just updated the INTEL graphics driver and not crashed for nearly 1 hour. tuxedo

#11 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Hi tuxedo, thats good that you updated that driver...the other BSOd seem to be linked to Avast anti virus..... did you uninstall this before installing AVG? and did you rememebr to reboot before installing AVG?

Try the Avast uninstall tool available from here:
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
but please dont use it until you have tested your machine for a good 48 hours.....(we must only deal with one thing at a time if we start lots of alterations we will not be sure which one is beneficial and which ones are not!
After you have tested your machine for 48 hours just with your updated video driver then use the avast uninstall tool...test agin for 48 hours...if still Ok then I would be inclined to run chkdsk /r again..accept the warning and reboot etc....
Lastly I would also check your hard drive using the hard drive manufacturers disc checking and repair utility available from here:
HARD DRIVE CHECK
http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Burn the CD (bootable) using imgBurn (available from here:
http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
and boot from ithe CD you have created ....first run the short test and if this OK then the long test.....

Hopefully there will be no errors found,,, but if there are and the hard drive utility can't repair them, then it probably means your hard drive is beginning to fail ( or has actually failed)
Post back and tell us how you get on
Regards
paws

#12 tuxedo

tuxedo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

Paws, Thanks will run for a couple of days and the follow up, must admit not sure if I did the reboot after the uninstall but I remember I had a problem as I tried to uninstall while not connected to the web and avast didn't like it. I have tried to remove all with Revo but maybe didn't get everything, so I will wait 48 hours and see how things are. I will post again then. Thanks very much, tuxedo

#13 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

:thumbup:

#14 tuxedo

tuxedo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:05 AM

Hi Paws, after trying and trying and now only getting a black screen I have decicded to send the p.c. back to where I bought it, as it is still under warranty. Thanks for all your help but as you said in a earlier post, it is probably a hard drive failure, so I think I will let the shop put in a new hard drive. Once again thanks for all your help, and think you can close this. Thanks to all at WTT you all rock. :thumbup: Tuxedo