3 replies to this topic

#1 Ally

Ally

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

Hi,I just purchased a new custom built PC. It has not been running too great compared to my old one and I don't think my bios settings are taking advantage of the extra power. I upgraded from an Asus p5n-mx board with 4gb ddr2 ram and intel core2duo e8500 to my new pc which is: Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 board with 8gb ddr3 ram and AMD FX-4100 quad core processor. I flashed the bios with the latest and have all the latest drivers,I tested the ram with memtest86 and it still doesn't seem great. I tried a video conversion with vso convertxtodvd set up to use 4 cores at time critical encoding and the cpu always seems to hang around the 60% mark with memory hanging around the 25% mark. Honestly it is as if it is not exploiting the CPU and Memory to the fullest. I don't want to overclock the system as I wouldn't know how and I only have stock cooling but I don't think my Bios is running it too its fullest. I don't have a clue about the bios and so will not touch any settings I don't know. Can anyone help?

Welcome to What the Tech Forums - Register now for FREE

We're your place for tech questions. Join the conversation. Ask questions. Find answers. Share your ideas and opinions. Browse our community. You'll find experts who enjoy helping others. Who explain technical issues in a non-technical way that anyone can understand. Create an account today (it's 100% free)!

Create an Account Login to Account

#2 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

Hi Ally, What operating system is your computer running and is it 64 or 32 bit? Programs will only utilize their needed PC resources. Just because you have 8GB of RAM and a fast 4 core processor, don't expect that by messing with the bios settings or overclocking (not advised), a program can use more or all of your RAM and CPU potential. If you are still using XP 32 bit or have moved to W7 32 bit, the max ram that is going to be used is about 3GB in either OS. It is a common upgrading misconception to think everything is going to happen a lot faster and "better". That will all depend on what hardware you are upgrading from (was the hardware already fast, or ancient?) and what programs you are running. Cheers, Lee

Edited by Lee, 31 March 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#3 Ally

Ally

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

hi Lee, I forgot about that.....I have halved my time to encode with this new PC but I think convertx exploits the 4 cores,is it just that most programs aren't designed with quad cores in mind yet? I loaded the optimized defaults in my bios and it seems to be running better now. I would never try to overclock,I looked into it with my first processor which was an e2180 and was put off the idea almost instantly after reading some of the jargon :) I am using windows 7 ultimate 64 bit now and I have noticed a big improvement with the operating system alone. I was going to build a new PC for myself (I'm bursting to try a build from scratch!) but I got this budget one for a good price and I can always upgrade the parts on this later on when I have some dosh. Before I purchased it I read some good reviews of this processor then after getting it,I read some more reviews saying that it is a dud.(just my luck!) Everything is obviously fine with it,it's just me worrying as usual. Thanks Lee! :thumbup:

#4 nardo

nardo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:26 AM

I have OC'd my FX-4100 to 4.0, and set the turbo boost to 4.4 - it works very well. I selected the 4100 mostly because of price (compared to the i5), but also because it is regarded as a great OC CPU.