Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome to What the Tech - Register now for FREE

A community of volunteers who share their knowledge, and answer your tech questions. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message, and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

Toshiba Sattelite L657 Crash / Strange boot message.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rmissin

rmissin

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

Hi guys , I was wondering if anyone can tell me what this message might mean.....

Posted Image

the crash happened when i was logged on to wifi in my local bar...the pc froze, then after a few seconds the screen went black and i saw this screen on rebooting.
I've attached the minidump from the crash in case it might be of help.

thanks

Attached Files

Advertisement

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:27 AM

Hi rmissin, Sorry to hear of the problem with your Toshiba (welcome to the WTT forums by the way!) From your screen dump, It looks like you are trying to boot from a network..... Set your machine to boot first from the hard drive and see if this does the trick If you need detailed instructions on this: post back Regards paws

#3 rmissin

rmissin

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:09 AM

Hi paws, thanks , yes that seems to explain what was happening, as this only happens when I'm connected to a WiFi transmitter.
In windows, my PC locks up, after about 20 seconds the screen goes black, then 10 seconds later I get the old BSOD.
When the machine restarts I see that screen, when I go into bios it says I have no HD on my laptop.(I can't select it as primary boot device either) So I reboot and select the drive in the boot menu (on my lappy it's the F12 key) I can select the drive from there and it boots ok.

This is strange, It seems somehow after the crash, the machine tries to boot using the WiFi card. Like I said, this only happens when I'm connected to WiFi.
I'm not sure if this is software or hardware related, but your suggestion definitely helps point in the right direction.
My only concern is after the crashes i ran a SMART test, and my 3 week old laptop is displaying errors :(

Posted Image

Not the end of the world, the reallocation error message is more informative than terminal afaik.

Thanks for your help.

Richard.

#4 La4city

La4city

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

I actually have a new Toshiba Satellite L740 purchased in July 2011 and just want to warn everyone about Toshiba's standard warranty coverage. I also purchased the extended 3 year standard warranty. After 5 months, I had a single vertical gray line show up on the laptop display about 1/8 inch wide, so I called Toshiba support. After some minor troubleshooting, I was told that vertical display lines are not the result of normal usage, that they were an indication of damage and are not covered by the warranty. The case manager also confirmed that this would not be covered. He said I could still send in the laptop but that the Toshiba "Depot" would just say it was caused by abuse and only provide an estimate for repair costs regardless of whether there were any actual signs of damage. I was at a loss. After searching on the internet, I have found that this is a common practice for Toshiba Support, claiming all defects are the result of abuse. Please search for yourself before purchasing a Toshiba product, you will find countless of similar cases where normal laptop users are refused coverage because Toshiba claims abuse and damage for malfunctions during the warranty period. I purchased this Toshiba laptop because they rated higher in reliability, but now I realize that I would rather have a slightly less reliable laptop, that actually has warranty coverage than this situation I have with Toshiba. Regardless, by posting this review I can't possibly hope to harm Toshiba or convince them that they need to stop this practice, they will still sell laptops all day long. I only hope to inform others of my experience with Toshiba warranty coverage and urge you to research Toshiba's support practices. If you still must have a Toshiba, I suggest to purchase a 3rd party warranty.

Advertisement